BB or WiFi speed?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
27 replies 1.7K views

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    15.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Routers have wifi mode to save customers purchasing a wifi router .
  • Thanks JJ but it doesn't seem right that these companies supply a router than provides WiFi without any accountabilities for the service or lack of.
  • Croft12Croft12 Forumite
    240 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Thanks JJ but it doesn't seem right that these companies supply a router than provides WiFi without any accountabilities for the service or lack of.

To be fair so many things outside their control can interfere with wifi its not realistic for them to be able to fix them.
    15.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks JJ but it doesn't seem right that these companies supply a router than provides WiFi without any accountabilities for the service or lack of.

But its only your setup they cannot account for that in advance .
    What you get is only measured at the Master socket .
    Wifi its your setup 99% of the time .
    A proper Wifi test could prove something .
    Test stood next to router noting speeds and swap channels to double check .
  • I have turned off all devices except my phone. (although nowtv say once connected devices still use bandwidth when off).
    Stood next to the router I get 17meg sometimes and less than 1meg others with the the most result being 5-7meg.
    The other side of the room, its not a big room, I get the same sort of results.
    There is no one else nearby on the same channel.
    Router is plugged into master socket.
    NowTV say it is likely to be water in radiator and electrical items in the room.
    When I call them on this as sometimes 17meg plus they say speed checkers don't work and there is no way to test WiFi speeds.
  • Croft12Croft12 Forumite
    240 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I have turned off all devices except my phone. (although nowtv say once connected devices still use bandwidth when off).
    Stood next to the router I get 17meg sometimes and less than 1meg others with the the most result being 5-7meg.
    The other side of the room, its not a big room, I get the same sort of results.
    There is no one else nearby on the same channel.
    Router is plugged into master socket.
    NowTV say it is likely to be water in radiator and electrical items in the room.
    When I call them on this as sometimes 17meg plus they say speed checkers don't work and there is no way to test WiFi speeds.

Next to router should be good. If not the fault is line or router. No isp can check router speed via wifi. Nothing in router logs drops or bad packets?
    15.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have 20 meg at router and Wifi is 17 meg .
    Cannot complain at that.

Check router logs as said .
    Replace/ or add wifi router .

NowTV may send out OR engineer but if the fault is beyond the master socket and not the router its chargable to you .

Might be worth try asking them to send out a new router .
  • Norman_CastleNorman_Castle Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried connecting via 5ghz. If the problem is interference this might avoid it.
    Getting funky on the scene
  • Carrot007Carrot007 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Make all tests though wired. Any other ways proves nothing.

Buy a decent wifi rouuter and stop expecting the cheap useless things ALL providers offer is any good for all situations. (Do test through wired first though in case it is the bb).