EDF and Smart Meters

Options
AndyPK
AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hi

Has anyone been thrown off there fixed 1 year tariff because they haven't agreed to a smart meter ?

It's in the small print, so they can.

Comments

• Londonlisa12
    Options
    I was inundated with emails and calls 4 months in to the fix and luckily the prices came down a fair bit so after paying the £70 duel fuel get out clause I was still better off when I moved to Eon .
    Eon only require you to be contacted and do not make the meters compulsory despite their CS making out they are.
  • qsk
    qsk Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just kicked off the switch to EDF via MSE cheapenergyclub. I am pretty sure in the description it says you would be asked for smart meter but it is not a requirement of the tariff.
  • charlie12
    charlie12 Posts: 1,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    qsk wrote: »
    I just kicked off the switch to EDF via MSE cheapenergyclub. I am pretty sure in the description it says you would be asked for smart meter but it is not a requirement of the tariff.

It varies per tariff, best to check the T&Cs for the individual tariff.
  • MSE_Chris
    MSE_Chris Posts: 200 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    Hi

Has anyone been thrown off there fixed 1 year tariff because they haven't agreed to a smart meter ?

It's in the small print, so they can.

Hi AndyPK,

For the "Simply Online" tariffs currently available (for e.g. Simply Online 1 year Fix Sep20v2), the T&C's state the following:

"if you do not have a smart meter you agree to have one fitted, or, if you decide you don’t want one installed, you can opt out by letting us know"

This mirrors the info in our Energy Club under the 'tariff info' section for this tariff.

I hope this helps reassure you on this.
  • elle_may
    elle_may Posts: 396 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    MSE_Chris wrote: »
    Hi AndyPK,

For the "Simply Online" tariffs currently available (for e.g. Simply Online 1 year Fix Sep20v2), the T&C's state the following:

"if you do not have a smart meter you agree to have one fitted, or, if you decide you don’t want one installed, you can opt out by letting us know"

This mirrors the info in our Energy Club under the 'tariff info' section for this tariff.

I hope this helps reassure you on this.
    Not all tariff info section on mse tells you this. My switch did not tell me anything about smart meters but when i went on t&c of my tariff I saw i had to have one within 3mth's.I have said this on another thread. This is a important omission and a different tactic to make you have one.
  • AndyPK
    Options
    Hi.

I'm on Easy Online Exclusive Jul20v3
    I don't think the wording as nice for that deal. Maybe they had a change of heart.

It basically says they can move you onto the standard tarriff with 30 days notice, if you declide a SM. from what I remember.

They have been sending emails with similar words
  • elle_may
    elle_may Posts: 396 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    @AndyPK I am with SP and this is their new T&C's I was referring to MSEChris reply that the Comp. site was not always informing people. BG olso has this on one of their tariffs. So the wording of their tariffs is not a nice way as you say. I will be waiting at the end of my 3mth's to see what they will do and i may be the first to be thrown off. ie. first question.
  • AndyPK
    Options
    my email

We've recently contacted you, as a smart meter is part of your Easy Online tariff. However, we can see you still haven't booked an appointment for your smart meter installation.

To benefit from low fixed prices and have full control of managing your account online - make sure you book your installation appointment today.

Simply click the link below to choose a time that suits you.

Easy Online is a tariff backed with a smart meter. If you don’t book your appointment and complete your meter installation in accordance with its terms, we may end this contract on 30 days’ notice and transfer you onto Deemed contract terms and prices (which are typically more expensive). Smart meters are subject to availability and eligibility criteria set out in the T&Cs. Customers unable to book a smart meter installation appointment due to either installer availability or a complex meter type will not be removed from the tariff.

Please note: During installation we may identify that a smart meter isn't compatible with the current metering set up at your property. If this is the case, we’ll reinstall your existing meter and get in touch when we’re able to offer you a suitable smart meter.
  • kes_65
    kes_65 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AndyPK, if EDF do end your contract and boot you onto the Deemed Contact I wondered if they could NOT charge the £70 exit fee?
    (They ended it,not you ) I don't know all the t&c. Just wondering
    I was with EDF for 6 years but left in June because I didn't want a smart meter and the Easy Online Exclusive July v3 was Live Chat ONLY which I don't like .
    If the exit fee is unenforceable because EDF chucked you on Deemed contact you could give them the elbow?
  • Bettie
    Bettie Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    Options
    I already had a smart meter and after EDF nagged me to have one or be kicked off I told them I had one. They knew that and said it was an old one so didn't count. I agreed to have another fitted and they were late for the appointment so I got £30 out of them .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure