Downsizing

Options

Comments

• Andypandyboy
    Andypandyboy Posts: 2,472 Forumite
    Options
    Could you leaflet the other flats in the block that you would be interested in asking if they are considering selling? Sometimes, it does work. A friend loved a particular block of apartments but the one for sale was too high up so she pushed notes through other doors, and she got one she wanted.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Could you leaflet the other flats in the block that you would be interested in asking if they are considering selling? Sometimes, it does work. A friend loved a particular block of apartments but the one for sale was too high up so she pushed notes through other doors, and she got one she wanted.

There are only four in the block and we have already looked at one other :) So only two more (one of which would have the same problem with the steps).

Really the one I would like (location wise) is the ground floor one below the one we looked at. The other ground floor one we have already seen, and as well as needing a lot doing to it, a new property is being built behind it, which means a boundary fence 6 feet from the kitchen window. It is not possible to build behind the flats on the other side of the block .

So yes, I might leaflet the ground floor one :)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • davidsdesire
    Options
    we are also in the process of moving to a home more suitable for aging in place. Our current home has 3 levels and when dh hurt a knee this past winter, he was not thrilled with all those stairs. He is 71 and I am 56 so we will be buying a home that is one level--it will have a full basement but that will be made into guest rooms and entertainment areas and everything that we will need will be on the main floor. We are also making sure we have proper space for a walker/wheelchair if necessary.

Yes, i agree...much better to do it as a choice than a have to.

Congratulations on selling your house!
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    We decided not to buy the apartment in St Florence, although there is one in Tenby that we may look at in a few weeks if it is still on the market.

Our beautiful new orangery is almost finished at the bungalow. It is gorgeous, a new room!¬ We have also begun to move in. When we have got a mattress for the new bed and the Wi-Fi sorted, then we will move in altogether.

House sale progressing, the survey was done yesterday, so will feel better when that is all clear.

I still look At the bungalow and am so happy, it has everything we wanted, we are so lucky.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    I am in one of my 'Aspie' modes today and have been rationalising my Carbon Monoxide Alarms. :)

I bought one for the bungalow, as we have two woodburning stoves andf a gas boiler. We need one in the hall near the bedrooms (so you can hear it if it goes off while you a re asleep), and a portable one depending upon which room you are in.

As we have three in our house I was going to bring one from there to be the second one for the bungalow. However, the one on the landing started chirping to say it's batteries were flat and when I checked it is out of date in a couple of months. So I have thrown it away, used the portable one in it's place and there is also one between the dining room and kitchen where the relevant appliances are. So that's that house sorted.

I then ordered a new one for the bungalow. :)

My husband will tell me off. He says I have an obsession with smoke and CO alarms. I supposed I have slightly (I was delighted that we got mains smoke and heat alarms as part of the regulations for the rewiring!), but as I tell him it's better than being burned to death or suffocated in your beds. He doesn't really have an answer to that :)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    We are finally moving into the bungalow :).

One minor hiccup - our TV will not fit into the place we have allocated for it - too big. Looks like we will have to have a huge one in the bedroom and a smaller one for our main room. Might ask our son if he wants to swop it for his smaller one.

Good news - table fits into the kitchen (we thought it might be too big but it isn't) and looks really nice.

Orangery building finished - my husband is going to put the laminate floor down and then the Conservatory people will come back and fit the skirting boards and do the final finishing touches. It looks great!

The last movers will be our two elderly cats. They are already upset and walking round with their ears back because stuff is disappearing from the house. Hope they will not take too long to settle in!

Hubby is doing most of it on his own as I am dogsitting five miles away.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good luck and happy new house, SDW!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • dktreesea
    dktreesea Posts: 5,736 Forumite
    Options
    TBH, I never thought our house was particularly large, it's a Victorian mid-terrace. However, it does have three double bedrooms (one in the loft), a sitting room, a dining room, a large dry cellar its own private access to the rear and a utility area and a long garden. We will have to compromise on space quite a lot.

Seen another one online, bigger than the first, has a small bedroom we could use as a study, also a dining room. Compromise is location; whilst the area is fine, it is out of our comfort zone. But it is near local shops and facilities and on a decent bus route. It's also on the edge of the city bordering the Staffs countryside. (The first one is over the border in Staffordshire). It's much more expensive than the first - we'd have to go into savings to buy it. Maybe that is what we'll need to do.

Might go and look at it.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-42807757.html?premiumA=true

My first thought on seeing this is it's not a good idea. It's overlooked by massive high rises behind it.

Edit: Whoops! Sorry about that. Should have read the rest of the thread!
  • dktreesea
    dktreesea Posts: 5,736 Forumite
    Options
    One half of my family is Welsh. Have you considered North Wales rather than South Wales? Same distance from Wolverhampton and MUCH better weather than the south. If we were living in Wales rather than Scotland, my first choice would be Llandudno. I liked the beach area around Holyhead too, though my daughter commented at the time we were looking that the easiest big city to get to from there was in another country (Dublin!). I wasn't really inth Rhyl. Too much history of flooding problems. Caernarfon looked pretty interesting.

Wherever you decide on though, I definitely recommend going there and staying, just for a few days, first, before buying anything.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    dktreesea wrote: »
    One half of my family is Welsh. Have you considered North Wales rather than South Wales? Same distance from Wolverhampton and MUCH better weather than the south. If we were living in Wales rather than Scotland, my first choice would be Llandudno. I liked the beach area around Holyhead too, though my daughter commented at the time we were looking that the easiest big city to get to from there was in another country (Dublin!). I wasn't really inth Rhyl. Too much history of flooding problems. Caernarfon looked pretty interesting.

Wherever you decide on though, I definitely recommend going there and staying, just for a few days, first, before buying anything.
    We love North Wales and it would definitely be on the cards, especially Barmouth or Portmadog areas, but for the experiences my husband had when he was doing his teacher training there in Bangor. He was the subject of much adverse treatement from the Welsh people in the village he was living in - not serving him in shops, not speaking if he spoke to them - simply because he was English. Our more recent visits, especially one to Llanberis, at the foot of Snowdon, does not convince him we would be treated any better now, over thirty years later.

Otherwise, beautiful North Wales would be our first choice. We visit frequently, but he has been put off buying there.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure