PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)

Options

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 January 2019 at 4:46PM
    Options
    I love this site, I keep learning things. A poster wanted advice on how to wipe their thought-to-be-deceased iPad, and was reaching for the Black & Decker but reasoned that there should be a way to get the data off & sell the thing for recycling. Spot on.

Someone piped up
    Don't whatever you do drill a hole through one of these! You will go right through the lithium battery which is likely to cause a fire!

So, In The Event, presuming you have a computer tablet & enough oomph to run a drill, and want to start a fire, you now have two choices.

Drill the ipad or run a chunk of mains through a brillo pad tugged loose enough for the current to heat the wires & set the soap on fire.

No prizes for guessing which is the more sensible, but as I hadn't realised lithium batteries were That Ticklish, my Scouts are on for an extra line in the pop quiz...
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But you could just put the wire wool across the drill battery terminals, and keep your iPad. :)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Shoulder's nearly better, thanks for asking. I'm off archery this month as I'm also convalescing from flu and am still very tired.

I stocked up on some nice quality tinned soups (Bonner's) at 3 cans for 99p in a discount store, think I will go back for some more later this week. Have also just spaved on some bottles of ecover w.u.l reduced from £2.50 to 62p a bottle. Have enough for the next couple of years now.;)

I do love having more money than subsistance (was there for many years) so that I can stock up at good prices when I get the opportunity.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    From an online article about First Aid.
    If they’re not breathing, chest compressions are needed.
  • DigForVictory
    Options
    Ye Gods, Bob!
    You'll have cemeteries full of folk worriting at the bodies....

And Not A Soul there asking Why the person is not breathing, & Is This Safe, & anyway who's calling an ambulance.

That said anyone who gets their first aid advice off msn does rather deserve the healthcare they deserve & for casual chest compressions, hopefully an assault charge. (There's not a syllable about consent.)

Having read more, in mounting horror (really, Do Not Believe this stuff but try the Red Cross app instead) - words do not quite fail me, but strewth, I'll volunteer my ticketed trained services a bit more rather than leave it to a bunch of msn reading enthusiasts. I am just thankful they don't cover tourniquets...

Preppers get Accurate Data. Any article purporting to be an "Ultimate guide to family first aid - from nosebleeds to burns and poisonings" should be left for the litter tray & the pukkha info learned from work, Scouts, websites of reputable providers like the Red Cross &/or St Johns Ambulance or even our own dear NHS.

And as the temperatures drop, I stand by my prepping fundamentals - do please also learn to swim. And when to stop trying to rescue people from rescuing people from ice on water. That's a lot harder than starting a fire (jk0 there was an or in there), or figuring how to filter water.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Actually DFV, what worries me is not the matter of consent, etc., but the idea of giving compressions to someone who has merely stopped breathing.
  • wondercollie
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Actually DFV, what worries me is not the matter of consent, etc., but the idea of giving compressions to someone who has merely stopped breathing.

Just remember if compressions are done properly, you run the risk of cracking ribs and breaking the sternum. Which in the elderly usually leads to punctured lungs, liver, and or spleen. And waking up in ICU.

I hate it when 98yo little old ladies who weigh 80 pounds are a full code! Let's just kill them during resus.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We have snow up here. :(

Only about 1/2" deep atm, but it's still snowing, so who knows by morning.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :( Yeah, I remember the time my mother (a trained first aider) had been called on by the next door neighbour whose OH had had a massive heart attack. He was blue from the jaw upwards by the time the alarm was raised, Mum did CPR while the doctor and ambulance were on their way.

Mum and Dr worked together until ambulance crew could take over. Mum bust one of his ribs. Dr said it didn't matter, if he'd made it (he didn't) it would have been the least of his problems.:(
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • DigForVictory
    Options
    Yesterday it snowed. This morning it has frozen, sweet & treacherous. The lads are mildly peeved I refuse to give them a lift but I have a strict policy of not driving on ice with other idiots. Or driving in iffy conditions with the lads aboard - pregnancy, birth, almost two decades of raising each - nope. They can die at someone else’s hand or of natural causes.
    Happily the cupboards are full, the lads will be thoroughly fed & I am working from home this morning.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure