2018 New year, new focus and new mission

Options

Comments

• Choccygirl123
    Options
    Life has certainly been a challenge since August. I don't want to post too much about the circumstances in case anyone in the real world works it's me. I do carry a lot of Shane about our debt and certainly wouldn't want family or friends to know.

I've just read your lovely messages tea,blackcoffee and Aaleigha and burst into tears. You're all so lovely and supportive and I really appreciate you reminding me of the positives.

It's been a struggle the last few months and the mental anguish has been really hard. I have been lucky and my lovely gp has arranged some counselling to help me with ptsd.

I'm staying focussed in 2019 no matter what it brings money wise. I guess my job will go in next month or so, but that just means I've got to budget harder and stretch everything further. I have applied for some benefits (personal independence payment) which will hopefully be successful. This £59 a week would go along way to help with my cleaner and the mileage and hospital parking costs.

I am being realistic though and if I can't get any financial help and lose my job, the cleaner will have to go. Although I can only do about 20% of the housework I still see her as a luxury.

I do hope some money due from my tax return (hopefully around £500 or more) I just need to get hubby to drag out all the paperwork so I can get cracking on that and will get a little something next year with being off too.

I have also applied for a refund on stamp duty when we bought the house 2 years ago. The seller offered to pay stamp duty, which means we should of paid less as this reduces cost of house. I don't really understand, but my accountant friend helped me with refund letter. I certainly owe her a nice bottle of red if it is refunded.

Life has been crap recently, but it makes you realise how lucky you are. I have a very loving husband who has been my rock over the last few months, two amazing children and can I look forward to get to fighting for in 2019.
    Finally Debt Free 24/4/2023 
  • Choccygirl123
    Options
    Wow hit my three year badge abd still loitering on the dfw threads.

Had a lovely lazy family day yesterday with very little spend. My youngest needed some 'girls things' so it was an excuse to buy a lovely french stick whilst I was in the coop.

I've stayed at home as couldn't face the same shopping. Hubby took kids into town for a whizz around the shops so they could pick up few bits with their Xmas money. He rarely gets time alone with them on his own so took them to 'spoons for brekkie and cinema!

Turned out to be quite a spendy day as he always let them chose a new double duvet each. He's not been paid yet and my sick pay has taken a beating already. £30 on fuel, £35 (Xmas cash) for new set house phones, the credit min payment and the daddy-trip today.

Need to boot the family out the spare room so I can get on the desktop to update the budget. I have a feeling that stack of turkey in the freezer will come in handy!

Balance £287.11 / available £103.30
  • Choccygirl123
    Options
    Nothing much to report - hubby wages showing as pending in our account. I feel sick seeing they're nearly £500 lower than normal.

We're on January lock down so hoping to scrape through.

My plan
    -20 nsd (at last)
    -meal plan and maximise store / freezer stocks
    -zero food waste
    -at least 2 no meats days/week
    -buy no cleaning or beauty products until stocks used (kids have a mountain of stuff from Christmas and stacks in their bathroom)
    -reduce fuel bill and ensure trips maximise us wage so no double journeys back to see friends or shopping
    -watch water / gas / electricity use and bake whilst roasting meat etc instead

It's the little things that'll help in long term.
  • teafor2
    teafor2 Posts: 3,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's a big hit on hubby's wages but you're in the right mindset for pulling your horns in and getting on with it.

It's definitely the little things.....and having kids that add up - we can both bear testament to that I think :rotfl: It's surprising what can be found in the house to tide you over though so digging out all your cleaning and beauty stuff is a good idea.

I try for a couple of non meat days but can't say I find it much cheaper. Hubby is happy with fish fingers one night but they have to be a certain make which aren't that cheap and I can get through a lot of them in one go. Our other non meat evening is pasta which is a bit easier on the pocket.

Good luck with your list. I'm here cheering you on. :)
  • Choccygirl123
    Options
    Evening tea, thanks for popping by. The kids certainly stack the bills up that's for sure. Both mine have been fab last few days and helped me around the house a lot. I'm struggling a lot with pain, but doc tells me that's normal with a deep rooted bone infection.

No meat days are normally

- veg stir fry with loads onion, carrot, broccoli and sweetcorn then some packet noddles I've soaked for 3/4mins in boiling water, bit of garlic and huge gulg of soy sauce. I find it's great way to use up veg and always have noodles and soy in store.
    - veg omelette again great way to use up fresh peppers, mushrooms and onions or I keep the Aldi frozen ones in stock
    - pasta either baked Aldi jar) or with pesto
    -something on toast eggs, beans cheese (great on kid's activity nights as quick filling and easy

All cost cost £3 max for us four and I love the noodles cold for lunch next day if any left. I like idea of using up veg that's getting past its best.
  • Aaleigha
    Aaleigha Posts: 615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    a couple of other cheap food ideas for you
    egg fried rice (with lots of veggies added in)
    home made soup I often hide vegs in soup we like leek and pot and bacon and lentil I all extra veggies to both and cook some homemade bread/rolls/pitas or some scones add lentils to every meal to bulk it out extra protein and fibre

you have such good ideas and such determination its hard to find a way to help you - but thats good as it shows you are well on track
    Emergency fund £10,000
    Several categories with savings in
    Cars, house maintenance, birthdays
    Etc I have about 10 categories

Really happy to be debt free after being a compulsive spender
  • Choccygirl123
    Options
    Great ideas Aaleigha, will add them to my list. I do always make stock from poultry. We had a gorgeous turkey soup that lasted us for 10meals with three drying out carrots and sprouting onions.

We're eating up the cheese / crackers supplies tonight and some homemade sausage rolls. The eldest choccy child is in bed with an ear infection and youngest full of cold. No one really hungry abd not even chocolate is being touched.
  • Choccygirl123
    Options
    Today is so nearly a no spend day, but I've spent a whopping 8p :rotfl:

I received a £10 voucher before Xmas for screw fix with no min spend. We needed some self tapping screws to replace ones in ovens so added to my basketd and than waste rest of voucher added misc pack of paint brushes which came to £10.08! Have paid and hubby has 21 days to collect the order.

Still waiting g on hub's pay day and I can see it pending in our account, although with credit card payment and 1 of mortgages.

Joint Balance £98.25 / available £23.17
    My Account balance £22.38
    Emgerency Fund £1000.23
  • teafor2
    teafor2 Posts: 3,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd be cheating and claiming that as a NSD which breaks all the rules I know but I do like to push the boundaries sometimes :rotfl:

Hope the children are better soon, poor things. x
  • Aaleigha
    Options
    As long as it's under 10p who's counting

As for food planning and soup making you sound like me

Nibbles wine and hot drinks at mine
    Might bake some virtual cookies tomorrow
    Emergency fund £10,000
    Several categories with savings in
    Cars, house maintenance, birthdays
    Etc I have about 10 categories

Really happy to be debt free after being a compulsive spender