PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Tea Bags vs. Loose tea leaves

Options

Comments

• Midas
    Midas Posts: 596 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thirzah - I aren't sure what's happened to Typhoo either, I used to sometimes buy it but haven't seen it around for years. It is however, advertised for sale on this American website http://www.englishteastore.com/brands-typhoo.html, so I guess they still make it.

Or you could try Yorkshire Tea instead, I think this is about the best loose leaf tea around at the moment. :)
    Midas.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    Options
    Yeuch! *Spit spit* *Screws face up in painful grimace*

:o Sorry just reminiscing, I remember drinking tea at my 'Nan's' when I was young and I still have lasting memories of getting a mouthful of tealeaves. Scarred me for life it did.

Give me nice tea bags any day!:D
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • MrsMW
    MrsMW Posts: 590 Forumite
    Options
    aliasojo wrote:
    Yeuch! *Spit spit* *Screws face up in painful grimace*

:o Sorry just reminiscing, I remember drinking tea at my 'Nan's' when I was young and I still have lasting memories of getting a mouthful of tealeaves. Scarred me for life it did.

Give me nice tea bags any day!:D

I have the same memories, ugh it was disgusting.
  • Loadsabob
    Loadsabob Posts: 662 Forumite
    Options
    Well, I was shocked to find that in my town, neither Tesco nor the Health Food shop seel fair trade loose tea!!!!! As I was down to my last teabag I had to get bags AGAIN, only now I've ended up with two boxes, as they were "save 82p if you buy two"...silly, I probably could have made the same saving by buying just one box and seeking the loose tea online. I'll do an internet search.

The range of loose-leaf tea was unimpressive, to say the least (not sure about Typhoo, I hadn't read that post when I went shopping!)!!

But I will NOT give up!
  • BWZN93
    BWZN93 Posts: 2,182 Forumite
    Options
    Ironically, whilst reading this thread having my morning cup of tea, kitty jumped up on my shoulder and scared me, and the HUGE morning mug went flying all over the floor! Any good ideas to stop staining???

Incidentally, I use bags, simply because I have my tea so strong, it is cheaper for me to keep with bags! I intend to get one of those bodum tea pots, so I can do assam leaf tea, because that is way nicer than any bag ive ever had!

Jo xx
    #KiamaHouse
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Blot the worst up straight away. Blot don't rub.

Put a small amount of washing powder in a mug of warm water and again blot until the stain is gone.

Then rinse, blotting again, with clean cold water.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Midas
    Midas Posts: 596 Forumite
    Options
    loadsabob - try your local co-op for fairtrade loose leaf tea, the co-op's "ethical" stance means that they usually stock a good range of fairtrade goods. Try the fair trade chocolate brownies, they're great!
    Midas.
  • Loadsabob
    Loadsabob Posts: 662 Forumite
    Options
    Midas wrote:
    loadsabob - try your local co-op for fairtrade loose leaf tea, the co-op's "ethical" stance means that they usually stock a good range of fairtrade goods. Try the fair trade chocolate brownies, they're great!

Thank you Midas. Co-op used to be very local to me, and they're superb for Fairtrade, I agree - they really led the way! I haven't tried the brownies, though, they sound yummy!

Now though, the co-op is about a mile from me. I'm shopping in the town centre as that's within walking distance (I don't drive), but I'm limited to Tesco (BAD!) and my health food shop which I use a LOT, and green grocers, which I use a bit, but their local produce is thin on the ground, and there is NOTHING organic! I COULD go to co-op, but it seems a long way when I have to carry the shopping home, and want to spend as little of my time food shopping as possible! I know a mile may not seem too bad, and there are buses, but it makes it a long old trip, with having to go to the twon centre for the health food shop local veg and other things as well...

Aaarggh!!! I may buy direct from Traidcraft, as I know their tea is nice...probably will end up online. Thank you!
  • spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When we were in Hungary we bought these mugs that had matching ceramic tea strainers and lids that you took out once the tea was strong enough - and the lids keep the tea warm if you take it into the garden on a cool evening. But it always seems such a faff when you may as well just dunk in a teabag. I have a large teapot and an individual teapot and the dinky one always makes better tea, for some reason, but I still use teabags. I'm not your typical Yorkshire lass, I don't like my tea very strong at all (and sorry for generalising, but I find most Yorkshire folk like to stand a spoon in their tea), so I don't like Typhoo, PG Tips or Yorkshire Tea. Tetley's my sup of choice, closely followed by loose English Breakfast or Afternoon tea.
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • pol
    pol Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    loadsabob

have you tried the oxfam shop? That's where I get my stuff from.

pol
    37 mrstwins squares, 6 little bags, 16 RWB squares, 1 ladies cardi, 4 boobs, 20 baby hats, 4 xmas stockings, 1 scarf, 4 prs wristwarmers
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback