Options

Comments

• RuthAnderson
    RuthAnderson Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    lovely guid to stick towards the best remedies of amex cards
  • greenlightluke
    Options
    If this has been asked before I apologise, but I am trying to connect my Platinum Cashback AMEX to foursquare - I linked it through online and it isn't appearing on my app. I try to connect it directly through the app but it just says 'please use a different card' - is the Platinum Cashback AMEX excluded from these offers?
  • Russinating
    Russinating Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It won't appear on the app.
    | Amex & Foursquare Hoarder |
    Cashback & Points (26/02/13)
    Nectar: 71,816 (£357) | Avios: 62,036 | Membership Rewards: 45,076 (£225)
    Foursquare & Xbox Cashback: £1,865 | Quidco Paid: £986
  • mycvattached
    mycvattached Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Just got approved for for The Preferred Rewards Gold Card® from American Express (chargeback card). Anyone using it? Any specific tips regarding this card? This is my first amex so i am new to it.
    Thank you.
  • Russinating
    Russinating Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes I have one. What tips exactly are you looking for?
    | Amex & Foursquare Hoarder |
    Cashback & Points (26/02/13)
    Nectar: 71,816 (£357) | Avios: 62,036 | Membership Rewards: 45,076 (£225)
    Foursquare & Xbox Cashback: £1,865 | Quidco Paid: £986
  • mycvattached
    Options
    This is a chargeback card. How I can be sure that i have enough reserve to make a purchase? Also does this card have any advantages over other amex cards or it is the same but no set credit limit?

Also, if you had it for a while, is it worth having it with monthly spendings around £2500-£3000? I am aware that amex is not as widely accepted as visa/mastercard so I may not be able to spend a lot on it. First year no fee but £125 thereafter sounds too much i reckon.

Thank you.
  • w211
    w211 Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You will earn between 30,000 and 36,000 membership rewards points per year based on your monthly spending - this excludes any bonuses (at the start, and certain purchases).

40,000 points will get a £200 gift card/voucher, so the annual fee could be worthwhile, plus the other benefits available - travel insurance, refund/purchase protection, etc.

If you're going to make an unusually large purchase (e.g. a new car), then maybe it's best to ring them beforehand to let them know, otherwise day to day purchases (fuel, shopping etc), should be ok.

Other Amex credit cards, offer different benefits, the British Airways ones give Avios points, and the cashback one, gives... cashback.

Depending where you want to use the card, most major retailers and high-end stores accept American Express. It's usually the smaller independent stores don't due to the high merchant fees.
  • mycvattached
    edited 29 May 2013 at 11:57PM
    Options
    Thank you for the info, you clarified most of my questions. As i understood it is possible to have more than one american express to get a better deal from foursquares. Most have a fee apart of basic chargeback and amex BA. So i'll try to get them.

I think overall it is a good deal even if i cancel it later to avoid £125 fee. I applied through topcashback (£60) and will get £100 in vouchers as bonus. Plus estimated £200 at the end of the year.
  • w211
    w211 Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't think you'd get another charge card from American Express - the only others are the basic one you just mentioned, and the Platinum one.

You might be able to get an Amex credit card as well, but I would wait 6 months or so before applying so they get to know your history/spending pattern, otherwise they may reject as you've just applied for one of their cards.

The BA Amex card, rewards you in Avios points, handy if you travel (plus you can transfer your membership rewards points from your Gold charge card to Avios, too).

The Platinum Cashback card is also worth considering even though it has a £25 annual fee (which you'll get back in cashback anyway if you spend just £2,000).
  • mihaid
    mihaid Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    w211 wrote: »

40,000 points will get a £200 gift card/voucher, so the annual fee could be worthwhile, plus the other benefits available - travel insurance, refund/purchase protection, etc.

I read on mse forums, but can't find again about the Aadvantage card here http://www.americanairlines.co.uk/i18n/specialOffers/exclusiveMbnaOffer.jsp?locale=en_GB
    and I thought that I would be interested. But reading all the small print it just seems to be about flying tickets. I think I was attracted because of a way to transfer the miles into vouchers/ Amazon? Just can't find the details again.
    Could it be the same as you say above?
    If anyone remembers what was posted about this card please let me know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure