Had an accident, it turns out I'm not insured, it wasn't my fault

Options

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not anymore he isnt. The law changed.

No it hasn't. Ignoring the continuous insurance rules, if the car park isn't a public place you don't need insurance to drive on it.
  • sussexbhoy
    sussexbhoy Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Insurance is not legally required if you are driving on private land.

But if you cause damage to another car (and you are to blame, which you are) you are personally liable for that damage and if you have insurance, that will cover it.

However, If it is publicly accessible private land (in this case a public car park), then the provisions of the road traffic act apply, which includes insurance, speed limits, drink driving etc.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 April 2017 at 5:55PM
    Options
    No it hasn't. Ignoring the continuous insurance rules, if the car park isn't a public place you don't need insurance to drive on it.

There is a big difference between driving around a private farm and never leaving the land and driving in a public place like a supermarket car park where there are lots of public AND you can't get there in the first place without going on the public road.
    I can't see how this is useful as the OP cannot credibly claim he/she never drove on the public road to get there.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 April 2017 at 5:56PM
    Options
    Why is anyone even suggesting ways the op could avoid paying for their mistake?

I don't think it's clear whether the OP can pay, but I think it's worth making the point that you cannot get blood out of a stone.
    If someone genuinely has nothing then a court judgment cannot magic up money. However someone with a house usually has capital and someone with a job has income.
    If the op genuinely has nothing (no property no job) then it's good advice to mention it because it's unlikely any insurer will go after someone for the money and spend loads on legal fees if there is zero chance of getting paid. They are a business and not the department of justice.
  • OnanTheBarbarian
    Options
    No. They own the ministry of justice and the current administration.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    There is a big difference between driving around a private farm and never leaving the land and driving in a public place like a supermarket car park where there are lots of public AND you can't get there in the first place without going on the public road.
    I can't see how this is useful as the OP cannot credibly claim he/she never drove on the public road to get there.

And that's why I said if it were private, which a supermarket car park is not. It would be irrelevant how they got there if it were private as that is where the accident occurred.
  • flower77g
    flower77g Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 April 2017 at 6:18PM
    Options
    I have received a letter from their insurance company stating that they think its my fault and that, unless they hear from my insurer within 14 days, they will file for legal proceedings.
    I'd think about writing a letter to the other insurance company along these lines

"Without prejudice

1. I deny all liability for the accident.
    2. I am nonetheless keen to settle the matter swiftly and think there is a risk that both sides will be found partially liable if this goes to court. What amount would you accept in full and final settlement?"

Meanwhile, either sell your vehicle or insure it.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    To the OP, if you are listening:

1. Don't admit that you were not insured. Just say that you are not prepared to remit this claim to insurers, but will be handling it yourself. You don't need to give a reason.

2. Then admit the claim (how can you do otherwise?), explain that you are strapped for cash, and offer to pay £50 a month. Ask for the people you hit to get three quotes for the repair.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    To the OP, if you are listening:

1. Don't admit that you were not insured. Just say that you are not prepared to remit this claim to insurers, but will be handling it yourself. You don't need to give a reason.

2. Then admit the claim (how can you do otherwise?), explain that you are strapped for cash, and offer to pay £50 a month. Ask for the people you hit to get three quotes for the repair.

But if the car park is a public place how do you suggests he gets round their request to provide insurance details?
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If the third party gave them the reg no. they might have checked MID and found no Insurance. Or they might realise no insurance, if OP responds saying they will deal with it or no response possibly suggests no insurance.

I suspect the OP might decide to not bother responding and see what happens.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure