IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Another Excel / Peel Centre casualty

Options

Comments

• firefly72
    Options
    I am planning to work on it a bit more, but would appreciate some feedback in the meantime. How is this as a first draft?

Dear POPLA Assessor

Verification code:
    Vehicle registration:
    PCN:
    PPC: Excel Parking Services Ltd.
    Alleged contravention date and time:
    Date of PCN:

I am the registered keeper of the vehicle above and I am writing to appeal against recent parking charges issued to me by Excel Parking Services Ltd for allegedly parking without displaying a valid Pay & Display ticket. My appeal to the PPC was rejected in a letter dated 25 November 2013. I am appealing against the charges on the following grounds:

1. Signage
    2. Lack of contract
    3. Charge not a genuine pre-estimate of loss
    4. ANPR accuracy

1. Signage

On the night in question, my car was driven to the Kentucky Fried Chicken outlet at the Peel Centre retail park in Stockport. Apart from the KFC, no other stores in the vicinity were open and the carpark itself was dark and unoccupied. Until recently parking at this location was free in the evenings and because the signs were so poorly lit, there was no clear indication that parking charges were in force.

Excel Parking Services claims that their ‘signs are highly prominent and meet the requirements set by the British Parking Association guidelines’. I dispute this claim. At night, and in darkness, the signs are barely noticeable and the print impossible to read.

2. Lack of contract

I believe that Excel Parking Services has no contract with the land owner of the Peel Centre that gives them any authority to impose or issue these punitive charges. If they dispute this, I require them to produce a certified copy of the contract with the landowner which must be BPA CoP complaint. The contract must be dated before my alleged contravention and indicate that Excel Parking Services are authorised to form contracts with drivers and issue charges in their own name.

3. Charge not a genuine pre-estimate of loss

Furthermore, I maintain that the charge of £100 is excessive and punitive and bears no reflection on the loss that would have been incurred by the landowner. The BPA Code of Practice states that the charge must be based on a genuine pre-estimate of loss. Considering the stores were mostly closed on the day and there were hardly any cars in the carpark at the time in question, I challenge Excel Parking Services to provide a detailed breakdown as to how the amount of £100 was arrived at. Costs of running the business may not be included in the pre-estimate of loss.

4. ANPR accuracy

My car was allegedly captured entering and leaving the carpark ANPR cameras. Private parking companies are required by the BPA to ensure that ANPR equipment is in working order. Given the darkness of the night, wholly reflected in the images sent to me along with the PCN, and that their entire case rests on these two very dark, almost black, images, I require Excel Parking Services present records indicating when the cameras were checked and maintained to ensure the accuracy of the images.

On these grounds, I respectfully request that these charges be cancelled.

Yours, etc.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    On the night in question, my car was driven to the
    Kentucky Fried Chicken outlet at the Peel Centre retail park in Stockport.

I strongly suggest you read other Peel Centre threads by searching the forum, as I remember writing a fairly recent POPLA appeal about someone who parked in the KFC section. And the signage there is actually separate I think and as you CAN park at the KFC for 15 mins it's not a P&D area, so it could be argued that the entrance signs only apply to the P&D part of the car park. I recall working that argument into a POPLA appeal for someone a month or two ago, easily found by searching the forum for 'Peel' or 'KFC'.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • georgiascat
    Options
    I had a £60 parking ticket fine notice through post from excel in July, in their first letter I got from them it did not say what I did exactly wrong, it just said in letter that I did not display a valid ticket.

I appealed against it as I did keep my ticket and sent proof. their reply letter then stated, after reviewing the pay and display ticket I bought (so they admit I bought a ticket) but I did not put full registration number I only entered last 3 letters. and as a gesture of good will I will need to pay just £10 admin charge.

I ignored this letter, then a few weeks later had a fine for £100 pounds, so I appealed again and challenged their decision, stating that.
    I had purchased a ticket and that they had no financial loss has I had paid, then I stated, why is it that if its your policy that a full Registration number must be entered, then why is it that your P&D machine accepted my last 3 Registration letters accepted my money and issued me a ticket, as you cant get a number plate with just letters or just numbers, there must be at least 1 letter and or 1 number in a registration number plate, I then said your machine should not have accepted just the input of the letters that I put in and should not have issued me a ticket, therefore your machine accepted the last 3 Reg letters, my money and issued me with a ticket unaware to me and believing I had a valid ticket. so I should not have had this penalty notice.
    I just received a letter this week time with no explanation from the appeal I wrote the letter just said can I pay just the £10 admin charge :mad:
    They could not give me a valid answer so do I appeal again or ignore letter, don't know what to do , any advise would be appreciated thanks:)
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I had a £60 parking ticket fine notice through post from excel in July, in their first letter I got from them it did not say what I did exactly wrong, it just said in letter that I did not display a valid ticket.

I appealed against it as I did keep my ticket and sent proof. their reply letter then stated, after reviewing the pay and display ticket I bought (so they admit I bought a ticket) but I did not put full registration number I only entered last 3 letters. and as a gesture of good will I will need to pay just £10 admin charge.

I ignored this letter, then a few weeks later had a fine for £100 pounds, so I appealed again and challenged their decision, stating that.
    I had purchased a ticket and that they had no financial loss has I had paid, then I stated, why is it that if its your policy that a full Registration number must be entered, then why is it that your P&D machine accepted my last 3 Registration letters accepted my money and issued me a ticket, as you cant get a number plate with just letters or just numbers, there must be at least 1 letter and or 1 number in a registration number plate, I then said your machine should not have accepted just the input of the letters that I put in and should not have issued me a ticket, therefore your machine accepted the last 3 Reg letters, my money and issued me with a ticket unaware to me and believing I had a valid ticket. so I should not have had this penalty notice.
    I just received a letter this week time with no explanation from the appeal I wrote the letter just said can I pay just the £10 admin charge :mad:
    They could not give me a valid answer so do I appeal again or ignore letter, don't know what to do , any advise would be appreciated thanks:)

first task is to use the BLUE "new thread" button and make a thread of your own to deal with your own case

next task is read the "newbies start here" sticky thread and decide what to do next and then formulate a plan and ask about it in your own thread

this thread is for dealing with the person who opened it correctly

thanks
  • firefly72
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    I strongly suggest you read other Peel Centre threads by searching the forum, as I remember writing a fairly recent POPLA appeal about someone who parked in the KFC section. And the signage there is actually separate I think and as you CAN park at the KFC for 15 mins it's not a P&D area, so it could be argued that the entrance signs only apply to the P&D part of the car park. I recall working that argument into a POPLA appeal for someone a month or two ago, easily found by searching the forum for 'Peel' or 'KFC'.

Okay, I'll give it another go later today. Thanks.
  • Coupon-mad
    edited 1 December 2013 at 12:19AM
    Options
    You will find MORE THREADS when you search for the acronym 'KFC' which is mainly only mentioned re the Peel Centre - but for starters I found this one:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4805494&page=2

That's just one of the cases I was thinking of - not at POPLA stage but where the OP used the initial (IMHO perfectly valid) appeal point that:

''The signs here allude to a maximum stay of 15 mins, but do not state the terms & conditions nor mention parking charges/breach of contract risk. And the entrance signs at the Peel Centre are not relevant to any contract at those KFC spaces either, because that area is not pay and display and simply is not covered by the t&cs for the rest of the car park. I am sure that POPLA and the BPA Ltd will agree that, where there is a specific 'non-Pay and Display area' for a takeaway or drive-thru within a P&D car park, then the parking company must clearly sign each separate area with full t&cs otherwise there simply is no enforceable contract created at all around the takeaway. A visitor cannot be left to guess as to any repercussions caused if delays in the KFC cause the visitors' car to remain in the specifically-free car park spaces for longer than the ridiculously short time period 'allowed'.''
  • firefly72
    Options
    I have read the KFC/Peel threads and revised my POPLA appeal. I've tried not to cut and paste but to write my account in my own words. I hope this version looks/sounds better.

===
    Dear POPLA Assessor

Verification code:
    Vehicle registration:
    PCN:
    PPC: Excel Parking Services Ltd.
    Alleged contravention date and time:
    Date of PCN:

I am the registered keeper of the vehicle above and I am writing to appeal against recent parking charges issued to me by Excel Parking Services Ltd for allegedly parking without displaying a valid Pay & Display ticket. My appeal to the PPC was rejected in a letter dated 25 November 2013. I am appealing against the charges on the following grounds:

Signage
    ANPR accuracy
    Lack of contract
    Charge not a genuine pre-estimate of loss

On the night in question, my car was driven to the Kentucky Fried Chicken outlet at the Peel Centre retail park in Stockport. The KFC outlet has dedicated bays with signs indicating that customers were allowed to park for 15 minutes. There were no signs indicating that KFC customers are liable for payment charges from the point of entry into the main Peel carpark, which is the only entrance available to get to the KFC. There were also no signs indicating that ANPR technology would be used to capture this entry and applied to KFC customers as soon as they entered to make their way to the KFC, parked their cars in the allocated bays, order their food, wait for it to arrive and then get back into their cars to drive out of the main carpark and be captured by the cameras again. The use of ANPR technology in this manner amounts to unfair entrapment.

The use of ANPR cameras by private parking companies are required by the BPA to ensure that ANPR equipment is in working order. Given the darkness of the night, wholly reflected in the images sent to me along with the PCN, and that their entire case rests on these two very dark, almost black, images, I require Excel Parking Services present records indicating when the cameras were checked and maintained to ensure the accuracy of the images.

In addition, on the night and period in question, apart from the KFC, no other stores in the vicinity were open and the main carpark itself was dark and unoccupied. Until recently parking at this location was free in the evenings and because the signs were so poorly lit, there was no clear indication that parking charges were in force from the point of entry into the main carpark, even if drivers were not intending to use the main carpark and heading straight for the KFC. Excel Parking Services has not provided proof that my car was parked in the main carpark and not within the KFC bays.

Excel Parking Services claims that their ‘signs are highly prominent and meet the requirements set by the British Parking Association guidelines’. I dispute this claim. At night, and in darkness, the signs are barely noticeable and the print impossible to read. And in any case, nothing in print or the terms and conditions applies to customers using the allocated bays at the KFC.

To this degree, the driver cannot be said to have breached any contract with Excel Parking Services if there was no intention to park in the main carpark supposedly managed by Excel Parking Services. There cannot be an enforceable contract if there is a non-Pay-&-Display area within a Pay-&-Display carpark where differing terms and conditions apply, and where the parking company has not erected signs with full terms and conditions distinguishing the two separate areas. In my case, the alleged contravention of ‘parking without a ticket/permit’ simply did not occur.

Furthermore, I maintain that the charge of £100 is excessive and punitive and bears no reflection on the loss that might have been incurred by the landowner, if at all. The BPA Code of Practice states that the charge must be based on a genuine pre-estimate of loss. Considering the stores were mostly closed on the day and there were hardly any cars in the carpark at the time in question, I challenge Excel Parking Services to provide a detailed breakdown as to how the amount of £100 was arrived at. Costs of running the business may not be included in the pre-estimate of loss.

On these grounds, I respectfully request that these charges be cancelled and the appeal allowed.

Yours, etc.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    You have so far omitted the usual winning point about no standing/landowner contract. Have a close read of the links under 'how to win at POPLA' in the 'NEWBIES READ THIS FIRST!' thread near the top:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

Also I think there's a lot more you can add to make your points clearer, such as actually quoting the BPA CoP (Which is also linked in the newbies thread). And have you compared your NTK to the POFA2012 paragraph 9 (also linked in the newbies thread!). Was the NTK received by day 15 after the parking event and is the wording exactly compliant with paragraph 9 as linked in the sticky?
  • firefly72
    Options
    OK, back to the drawing board. I'll give it another go tonight. Thanks again.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your first layout was much better and easier to find points.

Make it as easy as you can for the assessors.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure