Another Excel / Peel Centre casualty

New Post Advanced Search

Another Excel / Peel Centre casualty

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
29 replies 2.8K views
firefly72firefly72 Forumite
46 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
I thought I would add my story to the many stories already here. I have been reading the threads and while they are really useful they are also starting to become something of a hall of mirrors - so many threads referring to other threads and back again! All just show how many people have been caught up in this mess.

Like many people, I have received an ANPR notice from Excel in the post charging me £60/100 for non-payment of parking charges. Like a lot of people, the visit was also to the KFC at the Peel Centre.

Many have mentioned the change in signage at the Peel Centre but these are still pretty poor and completely unlit at night. Unlit signs count as no breach of contract, right?

On the night in question, it was well after sunset and the car park was in darkness as were the rest of the shops. How many have been conveniently snared by the new 24 hour charges when the same dark carpark had been free in the evenings before?

I'll do my homework and read the threads and write an appeal for a POPLA code etc, and come back here when I hear anything.

In the meantime, any moral support is appreciated! :)

Replies

• bondy_ladbondy_lad Forumite
    1K posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    good luck to you, everyone on this forum knows i hate excel with a passion,but even i have to bow to their new signage,it is sadly very clear,though i have not been there at night so cannot argue,not that i want to,hit the popla route deffo.they will no doubt cave in when they have to fork out £32-00,,,others with much more experience will be along with super advice for you shortly.
  • edited 15 October 2013 at 7:59PM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad Forumite
    86.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 October 2013 at 7:59PM
    Here's what to do when:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=83749&st=0&gopid=874216

You will win in the end as Excel will fail to show POPLA the landowner contract and neither can they show this was a genuine pre-estimate of loss. Also the signs around the KFC are different and not as clear in their stated terms I believe, as the new signs elsewhere. So those would be 3 solid appeal points for POPLA once you have finally prised a POPLA code out of Excel, who might write first and bluster that they have to know who the driver was (hope you have read not to tell them, and to just demand the POPLA code and report them to the BPA!).

We have at least two recent Excel KFC Peel Centre threads which you can find by searching the forum for the acronym KFC.

And we are encouraging everyone to complain to the Peel Centre Management every time about this harassment, for daring to pop in for a KFC.

:)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • A question: in my initial appeal to Excel do I include photos, or save that for POPLA?

Thanks.
  • ITGuy90ITGuy90 Forumite
    113 posts
    I'd save that for POPLA. Don't show your hand to Excel, they'll get a better chance to refute your points. Correct me if I am wrong here please.

It's annoying, I thought it was innocent until proven guilty. Why do we have to prove our innocence rather than them prove our guilt? It's digusting.
  • I've sent off appeal letter to Excel and complaint letters to KFC and the management of the Peel Centre. Will post when I get a response.

Interesting to see how many new threads have started against Peel/Excel since I first posted!
  • edited 21 October 2013 at 4:44PM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad Forumite
    86.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 October 2013 at 4:44PM
    Did you see I have added an email address (& names) for complaining to the Peel Centre, in post #3 of the 'successful complaints about PPCs' sticky thread at the top of this forum?
  • edited 21 October 2013 at 5:12PM
    firefly72firefly72 Forumite
    46 posts
    edited 21 October 2013 at 5:12PM
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Did you se I have added an email address (& names) for complaining to the Peel Centre, in post #3 of the 'successful complaints about PPCs' sticky thread at the top of this forum?

I did! Thank you! I've sent snail mail letters as well.
  • Update: I got a stock letter from Excel saying they have received my letter and will respond in 35 days from the date of receipt.

It's not even signed. I reckon they send out a lot of these...
  • I received a letter rejecting my appeal and attaching instructions for how to appeal to POPLA and a form and verification code. I'll work on drafting the appeal over the weekend and post it here for feedback? Thanks.
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad Forumite
    86.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    POPLA = Parking on Private Land Appeals (the second stage 'independent' appeal service which is applicable in England/Wales ONLY).

How to win at POPLA.

POPLA decisions (do not start reading there at page 1 - read back from the most recent at the end, and learn!).
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support