Single, six kids and going to be debt free!

Options

Comments

• joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm glad you had a great time at Disney - I don't think you could ever escape it being busy. And I'm glad that you are taking time for yourself - and listening to your moods and body. It must be tough with so many pulls on your time - but good for you.
    And it's lovely to have you back posting again. You've been missed.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00
    LD 11.24 £500.00/£397.50 (79%)    Fn £375                                                     
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£074.75 (16%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£084.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0750.00

• Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Pleased to see you're posting again and to read that the kids enjoyed their holiday.

Fingers crossed that a suitable house pops up soon.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Alleywoman
    Options
    Hi MOF
    Have read your full diary and had to post to say how amazing you are to have achieved all you have:T: holding down a job, looking after your 6 children and house, not to mention managing to pay your debts off.
    It's not surprised you have been feeling down.
    Take time for you, refocus and keep posting.
    I have subscribed and will follow your ongoing journey.
    :j:j
    AW
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    Thanks for all your lovely words. Well I haven't kept up with posting like I said I would but I am going to try as now I seem to have spare money each month, I am spending it!! This isn't what I wanted to do.

So I think I need to come back on here regularly and keep posting to keep my spending down. I have a budget of £70 per week for general spending which covers any things the kids need for school, bits and pieces for round the home, bits for me, my gym membership fee and anything else not covered by bills or food shopping or petrol money. This was usually more than enough to cover each week, but now I am taking time out to do stuff for me, it seems to get used up each week. I am now thinking about maybe increasing it by £30 a week and this should cover my little treat of getting my nails done every three weeks and going to a sewing class every two weeks. This is all because I have realised that I need to take time out for me and not just be a mum running the kids round everywhere.

Also with regard to the house, I am gutted that I didn't get it but I have refocused and replanned. My dad is supposedly going to sell my nan's house this year and will give me some money. I will then save as well to add to the deposit. I have looked a bit further out and decided that there are cheaper houses out there. The area I live is very expensive and to get a house big enough for us would be at least £450,000. But if I went into one of the little villages, this comes down to around £300,000. Such a big difference!!

Right I am at work today as my colleague is off skiing so I am covering her shift. Not much is going on though so I am bored and browsing the internet because I have to be here in case the phone rings!
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Right I am at work today as my colleague is off skiing so I am covering her shift. Not much is going on though so I am bored and browsing the internet because I have to be here in case the phone rings!

But you are being paid to be there - yay!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Thanks for updating mo4k! You have a lot to contend with - more so than a lot of us on here - but I do think that posting regularly will help with the budget - even if you only have time to do it weekly.

Good idea on house hunting in the outlying villages to keep the cost down.
    x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    But you are being paid to be there - yay!

Yes that is the good thing. We are paid hourly here, so any extra I do, means extra money for me!
    Thanks for updating mo4k! You have a lot to contend with - more so than a lot of us on here - but I do think that posting regularly will help with the budget - even if you only have time to do it weekly.

Good idea on house hunting in the outlying villages to keep the cost down.
    x

Yes I do seem to have rather a lot to contend with on a daily basis! I think I need to update weekly, I also need to have play with my spreadsheet. I am trying to get my sewing business off the ground so keep buying supplies but I think I need to take a step back, work out what I can afford to spend and then focus on trying to make sales. Although I think I may have my first customer. My colleague at work wants some cushions made for her Mother in Law so she has asked me to do them. :j:j

Tomorrow, is no work for me, but no sewing class as youngest has a hospital appointment and then her 2 and half year check. I am undecided whether to send her into nursery before the appointment and then back again after the appointment. It would leave me to get some bits done around the house and give me time to play with my spreadsheet.
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,607 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Over the last few days I have read all of your diary.

You have done brilliantly, paying off your debt and remembering to include treats, holidays and minibreaks so you have things to work towards.

I was wondering if you have done a new SOA as your financial situation has changed so much?

Have you set yourself a new batch of goals?
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • Mumoffourkids
    Mumoffourkids Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Over the last few days I have read all of your diary.

You have done brilliantly, paying off your debt and remembering to include treats, holidays and minibreaks so you have things to work towards.

I was wondering if you have done a new SOA as your financial situation has changed so much?

Have you set yourself a new batch of goals?

Thank you for reading through everything and thank you for saying I have done brilliantly.

I haven't done a new SOA but I have a very detailed spreadsheet which lists everything out each month for this year. I then have savings goals for what I want to save up for next. The next thing on my list to pay for is our holiday to Cornwall in May but that will be paid by the end of this month and then I will save the spending money.

I currently have over £3000 in various savings accounts which is for holidays, holiday childcare, car insurance and maintenance, emergency fund, clothes, christmas and birthday presents. I am still managing to save this each week as I just treat it like a bill.

I have added some money to my general spending budget to cover sewing items and me getting my nails done every three weeks. This is part of my look after myself new regime as if I don't look after myself and treat myself, I know my mental health will suffer.

I might post up a new SOA but it really does vary on a monthly basis as most of my money is based on weekly amounts. for example my housing benefit is paid fortnightly on a Friday and in March there are three Fridays so I get three housing benefit payments. Whereas last time in February I only got two. In addition maintenance is paid weekly on a Friday so in March I get 5 lots of maintenance. My nursery fees also vary considerably depending on how many school holidays there are!

But onto the future, my second youngest starts school this September and my youngest will start the year after. That same year, my eldest will have left school and will be going to university hopefully. So although I won't have nursery fees anymore, my tax credit income will drop, so I am making plans to increase my income for when this happens. I love sewing and have been sewing a lot more recently. I am not planning on changing jobs to increase my hours when all the kids are at school so I have decided that doing my own little sewing business from home is the way forward. I have 18 months to build this up so I am confident I can increase my income in that time.

I have my first paying job but it looks like I might have some more customers as I have been showing pictures of what I have made to loads of people and they are all really impressed. So fingers crossed I get some more orders and jobs in in the next few weeks.
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Go you, you're a money magnet!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback