Options

Comments

• January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 November 2018 at 3:58PM
    Options
    purplepaws wrote: »
    HOWEVER Barclaycard are being total barstools. They have been putting up objections at every step of the way. Despite having a letter of authority and a telephone confirmation of said authority from my husband, they still will not recognise my status and continue to contact my husband.
    Loads of other problems have occurred, but I wont bore you with the details - I can manage them.
    BUT, I would love to know if anyone has advice about what I should do about their request for information about the 'significant health issues' I have referred to in my correspondence with Barclaycard? They have asked for a letter from his hospital consultant or GP. As far as I'm concerned it's none of their business and a serious misue of power - the implication being that if the information is not supplied they will deal with the arrears and outstanding balance in a different way.

Constructive comments please!

Many thanks.
    If asking creditors to support you because of health issues then (in my view) it's not unreasonable for them to request evidence of thoses health issues. Mind you, that said, it depends on what level of support you are asking from them. If you are just entering a DMP and evidencing available funds for DMP payments and their share, then it's none of their business why you need to enter a DMP except that you have found yourself in financial difficulties. However, if you are asking them to accept long term token payments, or perhaps significantly low F&F offer then you will get better reactions if you evidence why you are in this situation, i.e. supporting medical evidence.

Is there no documentation you have that could provide 'evidence' that you do not feel is too personal to send those creditors?

That's just my view - doesn't mean I am right though.
    jubilee14 wrote: »
    I suspect Purplepaws issues with BC is more to do with data protection than anything else. They probably have a process in place as to evidence required to ensure they dont discuss an individuals personal data without permission. Perhaps ask BC complaints dept to explain what their evidence requirement is for power of attorney. It doesnt seem to have a bearing on the debt situation at all.

My experience with BC was a bit mixed kept interest rates low most of the time in line with my debtVpayment. Then went to apply full interest. When i complained said they couldnt do anything as i was paying above minimum payment level. Then just stopped interest altogether but have on my credit file as OK. Just paid my last payment to them last month so waiting to see how they 'settle/satisfy' the account. They also gave me £125.00 out the blue for their mis management of interest fee too.

Hopefully its just technical/process issues that get sorted out soon. Good luck.

My experience of creditors supporting clients with mental health issues (from supporting a friend with their DMP) is that once you evidence the health issues they are amazingly supportive. They are more open to lower settlement figures, and even more open to consider writing debts off. Whilst health issues are none of creditors business, if people want them to understand their situation and be supportive it seems reasonable to provide evidence.

For my friend, the evidence started as GP sick notes, followed by GP report and eventually community mental health team report. All creditors acknowledged the information would be used only for the purpose provided, and where it was given to DCAs, they requested permission to share with the original creditor. As I said all creditors and DCAs have been / are being very supportive. My friend offered token payments whilst they were initially unwell but several of the DCAs asked them to stop paying, but to keep in touch and update with them every six months. We've managed to get over £20k written off, and £14k settled for 10% of the balance (which was settled by a relative as my friend just does not have the money available). A couple more smaller debts are still being negotiated.

I often say on here that being in a DMP is like a game of strategy. If you have a genuine reason for creditors to consider reduced payments / settlements / write-offs, then it seems (to me at least) that the strategy should be to use that as a negotiating tool.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • OCTOBER
    OCTOBER Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    hello onebrokelady,
    Yes, I asked if I could do a low start DMP with a hope of my circumstances improving but they said I would have to increase my budget if I wanted them to provide my DMP as it would mean longer than 10years, that's why I decided to self-manage.
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    OCTOBER wrote: »
    hello onebrokelady,
    Yes, I asked if I could do a low start DMP with a hope of my circumstances improving but they said I would have to increase my budget if I wanted them to provide my DMP as it would mean longer than 10years, that's why I decided to self-manage.
    Weird,I'm wondering if they have let me do it because I was already with them when I had to reduce my payments
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • snowbean
    snowbean Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 November 2018 at 12:32PM
    Options
    Hi all! I've been a long time lurker around these boards, and have learnt a lot over the years and had some great support, so thank you!

We're 5yrs into a dmp, with many years still remaining. Currently looking to get f&fs agreed, so hopefully we can get everything settled once and for all (offer letters have been sent to all creditors). I did attempt to do f&fs a couple of years ago, but wasn't really in the right head space to carry on the momentum and keep on top of it, so after a few declined offers I kinda gave up on it. Determined that won't happen this time, and we can get it all done and dusted and clear a weight off our minds.

So I have a couple of questions, if anyone can offer some advice?

All but 2 of the debts defaulted right after the start of our dmp, back end of 2013, so would disappear from our credit file end of next year. One of the debts randomly defaulted end of 2016...am I right in thinking that I should get onto them and query this, as it seems unfair? Why did they wait so long? And try to get them to back-date to 2013?

2nd question is...one debt has never defaulted (was a credit card, has since been sold on). So far they're the only one's who've replied to our f&f offer and have turned it down. Currently, this debt show on my cf as 'up to date',and is marked with a mix of AR and OK markers. Should I get onto the orginal creditor and ask why is was never defaulted? Push for them to do it and back-date to the same time as all the others? Have I got anything to lose by trying this? Could it make things worse somehow? I'm guessing that if all the markers were OK, then maybe it wouldn't be a problem, but with the ARs mixed in as well, I'm guessing that won't look too great hanging about on our file for another 6yrs from now?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 27 November 2018 at 9:23PM
    Options
    snowbean wrote: »
    Hi all! I've been a long time lurker around these boards, and have learnt a lot over the years and had some great support, so thank you!

We're 5yrs into a dmp, with many years still remaining. Currently looking to get f&fs agreed, so hopefully we can get everything settled once and for all (offer letters have been sent to all creditors). I did attempt to do f&fs a couple of years ago, but wasn't really in the right head space to carry on the momentum and keep on top of it, so after a few declined offers I kinda gave up on it. Determined that won't happen this time, and we can get it all done and dusted and clear a weight off our minds.

So I have a couple of questions, if anyone can offer some advice?

All but 2 of the debts defaulted right after the start of our dmp, back end of 2013, so would disappear from our credit file end of next year. One of the debts randomly defaulted end of 2016...am I right in thinking that I should get onto them and query this, as it seems unfair? Why did they wait so long? And try to get them to back-date to 2013?

2nd question is...one debt has never defaulted (was a credit card, has since been sold on). So far they're the only one's who've replied to our f&f offer and have turned it down. Currently, this debt show on my cf as 'up to date',and is marked with a mix of AR and OK markers. Should I get onto the orginal creditor and ask why is was never defaulted? Push for them to do it and back-date to the same time as all the others? Have I got anything to lose by trying this? Could it make things worse somehow? I'm guessing that if all the markers were OK, then maybe it wouldn't be a problem, but with the ARs mixed in as well, I'm guessing that won't look too great hanging about on our file for another 6yrs from now?

:wave:Welcome . I'm glad you came out of lurkdom and joined us. Please keep us posted on how you get on and if there's anything that bothers you please just ask. There's usually someone who has had the same problem and will be happy to help.

I can't answer your 2nd question but the situation you mention about the defaults mirrors my experience exactly. I started my DMP in February 2013 and 5 creditors defaulted from May to October that year. Just one didn't default until late 2016. In recent months they sent me 2 letters informing me that they had reviewed their treatment of people who had been in financial difficulties and they refunded me 2 lots of interest and charges:j. They deducted most of it off the outstanding debt balance and sent me a cheque for a small part of it. Nice to receive unsolicited money:j

Armed with these letters and the fact that they'd admitted to not having treated people in difficulties fairly I phoned them to try to get the default backdated. They did a thorough investigation whilst I was 'on hold' and offered to backdate the default right back to when the DMP started:j. Instead of this debt being the last to drop off my credit file it will now be the first. They also refunded even more charges and interest without me having to ask for it, plus a £100 cash 'apology'.

It is definitely worth your while contacting your creditor. The worst that can happen is that they say no, it won't affect your position in any way which is something you seem to be worried about. They may well say yes, as they did to me. I don't know who your creditor is but I was in a good position to get my default sorted out because they'd already admitted that they hadn't always treated people who were in financial difficulties fairly.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck:beer:
  • snowbean
    Options
    Hi, thanks for your reply. Your default situation does sound very similar, in fact I suspect possibly the same lender, as I received a similar letter recently too.
    So to update...I was feeling impatient, and due to poorly child meaning I couldn't get on with other jobs, I went ahead and called them earlier today (the ones who'd never defaulted). After some long-winded and ill-informed discussion with one operative for a really really long time, I finally got escalated through to someone who knew what they were talking about...end result being that it will be defaulted and back-dated. Yay. No further compensation, but I guess you can't have everything!

So I'm now wondering what to do in regards to the unfavourable response I had to my f&f offer. I guess I write back again, but do I acknowledge their offer and say I can't reach it, but I can offer xyz? Or do I just send another letter the same as the first, but with an increased offer? I know maybe would be better to wait it out a bit, but I'd rather just get on and get it all over and done with before I run out of steam!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    snowbean wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for your reply. Your default situation does sound very similar, in fact I suspect possibly the same lender, as I received a similar letter recently too.

Mine is the bank with the prancing black horse logo;)
  • snowbean
    Options
    Mine is the bank with the prancing black horse logo;)

In which case, I was wrong!
  • purplepaws
    Options
    jubilee14 wrote: »
    I suspect Purplepaws issues with BC is more to do with data protection than anything else. They probably have a process in place as to evidence required to ensure they dont discuss an individuals personal data without permission. Perhaps ask BC complaints dept to explain what their evidence requirement is for power of attorney. It doesnt seem to have a bearing on the debt situation at all.

My experience with BC was a bit mixed kept interest rates low most of the time in line with my debtVpayment. Then went to apply full interest. When i complained said they couldnt do anything as i was paying above minimum payment level. Then just stopped interest altogether but have on my credit file as OK. Just paid my last payment to them last month so waiting to see how they 'settle/satisfy' the account. They also gave me £125.00 out the blue for their mis management of interest fee too.

Hopefully its just technical/process issues that get sorted out soon. Good luck.

Thank you for your comments.
    I am concerned about sending a 'private and confidential' report from a consultant which contains very private and personal information, but, as you say, it is pertinent to the debt situation that we find ourselves in. I have caved and sent so much stuff that they dare not ask for anything else!
    BC said that they would refund some interest and the 'default fee' of £12, so that's nice. I'm not sure if that will go into our bank or off the total that we owe? Any ideas - the letter was not very clear and nothing has showed up in the bank account yet!
    Ho hum - let's keep going - soon be Christmas:xmastree:
    DMP launched 04/07/17 left to pay = £14,238.79 (£16,982.82 original debt.) Thanks to MSE & all you wonderful Forum Peeps!:T
  • Lmrcpr
    Lmrcpr Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    I started my dmp last week,

I sent holding letters to all the creditors on 14th Nov. Including my hsbc overdraft and hsbc credit
    Card, neither of which have responded.

I set up a new bank account and changed all my direct debits and wages to the new account on 12th November.

I've just checked the hsbc account to see if they had put any response on, and my wages are showing as pending to go in tomorrow!!

I've sent up a transfer to move them, the account is just under the overdraft limit and doesn't look like it has any restrictions on it, has anyong got any idea if they are likly to offset my wages before the bank transfer goes through?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback