• sloughflint
    Options
    Is this them?
    Elecmec Wholesale Ltd
    480, Honeypot Lane
    Stanmore Middlesex
    HA7 1JR

Tel: 020 8381 1422
    Dare I ask how much? At the mo bernlyn is winning at £699 inc vat!!!!
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cajef wrote:
    also twin cylinder means no waiting as it automatically switches cylinders when one is being flushed.

just used to feed it tablets about once a week and let it get on with it. On our experience I would have no hesitation in recommending that make, and would have one again if we ever moved back to a hard water area.

I'm sorry to keep harping on about this - but.

The first part of this quote is meaningless - a single cylinder softener is set to regenerate in the middle of the night - you do not need two cylinders. What do you think you have to wait for ?

I feed my single cylinder softener every two months.

I am not saying that this type of softener is no good - it just does the same job, no better, no worse, as a single cylinder - but at twice the price !

I'm beggining to wonder if there is actually "water softener snobbery".

"Oh ! he's only got a single cylinder from B & Q, we've got a twin cylinder from Harrods !"

I'm off to bed - goodnight all.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well obviously you have a complex about the number of cylinders required, personally I cannot be bothered to get on my high horse about something of no importance, but you could stop and think why twin cylinder models are produced, maybe it is because they are more efficient and not just an excuse to charge people more.

A water softerner with two cylinders regenerates automatically when regeneration is required dependent on the amount of through flow, in other words it may only regenerate once in two or three days as required, I single cylinder set to operate manually every night is wasting salt as regeneration may not be required for two or three days or even less if you are away for a few days.

But then what do I know I am just a water softener snob. :rolleyes:
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cajef wrote:

But then what do I know I am just a water softener snob. :rolleyes:

You must also have money to waste as well !
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 March 2010 at 10:59PM
    Options
    moonrakerz wrote:
    You must also have money to waste as well !

It is time you went to specsavers or learnt to read, if you had read my post you would have seen that the water softener I had was already fitted in my property when I bought it so I am not sure how I have money to waste when I did not pay for it, I was merely commenting upon the fact that I had found it very reliable and would recommend it to others based on my experience.

How saving on the cost of salt and not having to use electricity is wasting money I cannot quite understand. However each to their own opinions, after all you have had these units for thirty years so that makes you an expert.:D
  • ritesh
    ritesh Posts: 394 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is this them?
    Elecmec Wholesale Ltd
    480, Honeypot Lane
    Stanmore Middlesex
    HA7 1JR

Tel: 020 8381 1422
    Dare I ask how much? At the mo bernlyn is winning at £699 inc vat!!!!
    Hi sloughflint

Yes, that is them. However, I think the price of £699 incl VAT is the best i have seen as well.

Berlyn - Could you say where you saw it at this price?

Cheers
    "I think I spent 72.75% of my life last year in the office. I need a new job!!"
  • sloughflint
    sloughflint Posts: 2,345 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Ritesh,
    It was from: http://www.ezsoftener.com/index.asp?pid=P230&srch=
    If you go with them, check very carefully that they offer the 7 year guarantee. They can't sell to me as they would be stepping on Kinetico's toes. I think Kinetico have been on to them after I had a go about the price they were considering selling to me for.
    Bernlyn. Are you sure it was inc vat? I ask because this company in Norwich 01603 628555 ( can't find the website now) are selling for £849 all inclusive which isn't far off £699 plus vat. They give same guarantees as Kinetico and it includes delivery and standard installation kit for DIY.They said their installers generally take 4 hours to do the work to help work out what a fair installation price would be for a local plumber if not confident to DIY.
    ( I can sense Moonrakerz shaking head in despair now!!!!)
  • BlackMarsbar
    Options
    Taking a look at https://www.diynot.com and on there this seems to the top one -> http://www.emwc.uk.com/details.asp?ProductID=87
  • sloughflint
    sloughflint Posts: 2,345 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for this link BlackMarsbar. Cheaper than Kinetico. Have you got one of these?
  • BlackMarsbar
    Options
    Nope. But I did some research last year. And decided that this would be the one. I have the advantage that in the current house the people beforehand had a softener installed so all the plumbing is there, and I feel that I could install it, with my DIY plumbing skills. (Cant be any more difficult that plumbing in the washing machine I did).

I emailed them with lots of questions and they came back quickly with very verbose, but extremely helpful, answers.

Unfortunately money now prevents me from considering it. (Or any for that matter). But when the funds allow this will be the one I will purchase.

When I consider the amount I spend on washing power/bathroom cleaners/etc etc and that fact that the bathrooms are full of limescale, the cost will probably be saved quickly.

Note to self -> I must save and buy one!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback