water softner help in chosing and is this true

Options

Comments

• sloughflint
    sloughflint Posts: 2,345 Forumite
    Options
    Would all types of softener have a by-pass arrangement? I didn't consider that aspect.
  • sloughflint
    Options
    ritesh wrote:
    Hi bernlyn

No, I am not going to install myself. My plumber, who is doing all other components, said he can do this for me at no extra charge as it takes no more than 30 mins.
    That's interesting. When I objected among other things about the £200 fitting fee, I was told it would take 3 to 4 hours.
    Let us know how long it takes ritesh.
  • Canucklehead
    Options
    Hi

The installation instructions would probably tell you to include a by-pass in the pipework to the softener for maintenance, and removal, in the event you take it with you when you sell your home.

Corgi Guy.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • sloughflint
    Options
    bernlyn wrote:
    http://www.ezsoftener.com/index.asp?pid=P230&srch= is the cheapest i have found so far.
    Is it just my machine playing up or is the link in this post not working? I want to ring this company. I was able to access this site a few days ago and it had a phone number to call.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ritesh wrote:
    Incidently what appliances can/can't have softened water running through them???

I don't think there is anything that can't have softened water, though I take Canucklehead's point about possibly some types of boiler, that might be worth checking with the manufacturer. A "conventional" CH/hot water system is a closed system, so there shouldn't be a problem there.

One thing that used to be warned about was soft (ened) water thru' lead pipes - but I shouldn't imagine there are many of those around now.
    Washing machines love softened water - you can reduce the amount of detergent and softener in it by 60%.

Another reason for having a by-pass is that every few years it's worth taking the thing right out and cleaning out the salt tank. You will be amazed at the gunge that comes in those bags of nice clean white salt !
  • bernlyn
    bernlyn Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    Is it just my machine playing up or is the link in this post not working? I want to ring this company. I was able to access this site a few days ago and it had a phone number to call.

no its not your machine as i am also struggling to get onto that site. i wrote the tel number down the other day when i phoned them and it is 01487 815914. i dont know if i am allowed to post it here.
  • ritesh
    ritesh Posts: 394 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's interesting. When I objected among other things about the £200 fitting fee, I was told it would take 3 to 4 hours.
    Let us know how long it takes ritesh.

Hi sloughflint,

No problem. They are intending to install the softener and megaflo in about a weeks time, once the screed is dry, so will let you all know
    "I think I spent 72.75% of my life last year in the office. I need a new job!!"
  • sloughflint
    Options
    Thanks ritesh and can you spill the beans on where you bought yours from while we are on the " cheapest Kintetico hunt"?
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We had a Kinetico in our last property, it was already installed when we bought the place, it worked purely on water pressure and did not need electric supply, also twin cylinder means no waiting as it automatically switches cylinders when one is being flushed.

In the ten years we lived there it never gave any problems, just used to feed it tablets about once a week and let it get on with it. On our experience I would have no hesitation in recommending that make, and would have one again if we ever moved back to a hard water area.
  • ritesh
    ritesh Posts: 394 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks ritesh and can you spill the beans on where you bought yours from while we are on the " cheapest Kintetico hunt"?

lol, no probs. Mine was bought from "ElecMec" in Queensbury, North West London.
    "I think I spent 72.75% of my life last year in the office. I need a new job!!"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback