water softner help in chosing and is this true

Options

Comments

• moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The prices quoted for a lot of these machines are high. You can get a good quality Permutit softener from B & Q - the difference in price will buy a lot of salt/water. !
    Don't get seduced by all the flashy "extras" on some of these machines - you will stick the softener in a cupboard and let it get on with it.
  • sloughflint
    sloughflint Posts: 2,345 Forumite
    Options
    I found this link:
    http://www.uk-water-softeners.co.uk/pages/twintechistory.htm
    It would seem that the twintec can be used with any type of system which might make it more transportable when moving house or in our case when changing central heating system.
    Roughly how much is the permutit moonrakerz? Also non electric?
  • bernlyn
    bernlyn Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    I found this link:
    http://www.uk-water-softeners.co.uk/...techistory.htm
    It would seem that the twintec can be used with any type of system which might make it more transportable when moving house or in our case when changing central heating system.

i phone this company aswell and they were far to expensive for me. they wanted £1300 fitted.
  • moonrakerz
    Options

Can't remember the exact prices - about £3-400 ish, I think. They all need an electric supply.
    For some strange reason they don't appear to be on the B & Q website, but they keep them in store - but only in hard water areas.
  • sloughflint
    Options
    bernlyn wrote:
    the price i was quoted was £699 inc vat and £636 for the crown also £205 for the install of either 1
    I've got Kinetico coming out tomorrow to advise what we need/hard sell. Your figure will give me an idea on what is an acceptable price. £200 installation seems a lot considering we want to put it under the kitchen sink and that's where mains comes in or am I being naive?
    Disappointed about Twintec price as that was compatible with either plumbing system. With Kinetico, they seem to have a machine for each type.

Thanks Moonrakerz but I'm definately homing in on non-electric.
  • bernlyn
    Options
    it will be interesting to see what they come up with and what the installation payment is actually for as far as what they do that warrants £200. also find out from them if you do diy install will it effect the warranties or such

keep us post as to the outcome i will definitely be interested
  • sloughflint
    Options
    [QUOTE=bernlyn
    keep us post as to the outcome i will definitely be interested[/QUOTE]
    Well, had the sales pitch. If it wasn't for the fact Kinetico is well thought of, would have discounted completely.
    Given a figure of £ 1290.15 inc vat plus fitting fee of £210 as it is simple installation. Would throw in filter for free and free salt. Bla Bla Bla.
    Guarantee for 7 years and if they fit, pipework for one year.
    Then I hit him with the price you gave in this thread obtainable via the internet.
    Awaiting a phone call tomorrow to " see what he can do".
    I really don't like dealing like this. Shame that this is the machine I want.
  • sloughflint
    Options
    bernlyn wrote:
    also find out from them if you do diy install will it effect the warranties or such
    Still 7 year guarantee if diy.
  • bernlyn
    Options
    thanks for the update

what company came and quoted you. it will be interesring to see if he lowers his price. to be honest i will surprised if you hear from him.
  • moonrakerz
    Options
    Given a figure of £ 1290.15 inc vat plus fitting fee of £210 as it is simple installation. Would throw in filter for free and free salt. Bla Bla Bla.
    Guarantee for 7 years and if they fit, pipework for one year.

Selling water softeners seems to be taking over from double glazing as a good way to rip off the public.

These prices are ridiculous ! Many of these softeners have added "extras" which are completely unnecessary and are there purely to add profit.

As I have said before, go to somewhere like B & Q, buy a basic softener from there. They do need a power supply but for some of the prices quoted in this thread you could almost get the house re-wired for that money!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback