Husband going to Canada for one month - advice on getting money before going.

Options

Comments

• Marmaduke123
    Options
    We have a Saga credit card. It's good for purchases abroad with no transaction fee, but does charge a transaction fee for cash withdrawals. There is no interest on cash withdrawals if you pay in full at the next payment date, but the transaction fee is still charged.
    We use our Barclaycard platinum for cash withdrawals (no fee), and either the Barclaycard or the Saga card for purchases, restaurants, hotels etc.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    1. OK - Halifax Clarity Credit Card has been successful with a £1500 credit limit and purchase rate of 25.95%::j

2. So - got so far - but sorry think I was getting muddled up as to which card is best for him to draw out cash as soon as he get there - also thinking he must have another card in case there are issues with it i.e. not working for some reason.

3. I have looked at the SAGA link and looking at cash withdrawal does that seem quite a good option? If I understand it correctly you pay charge BUT not anymore as long as balance is paid in full on statement.

So grateful for all help - I will need the rest whilst he is away.

You can use the Clarity for cash withdrawals too. Just cover the initial cash withdrawal via bank transfer within a day or two. That will keeps the interest to a few pennies.
    But useful to have a back-up. Since the Clarity can be used for both, choose whichever you like for the back-up.
    Barclaycard Travel Platinum probably the best bet overall. That way he will have both a Mastercard and a VISA card.
  • GillyFlower
    GillyFlower Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    1. OK - it looks like the next move is to apply for the Barclaycard Platinum Travel Card.

Note: Can someone confirm that is the correct one - all this starts to get confusing with so many different Barclaycards on offer.

2. Now we do seem naive what are the advantages of having a Visa and a Mastercard? When I look it up it seems they offer the same.

3. When he gets there if I can recall it will be best for him to make a sufficient cash withdrawal for him to feel he has a real money 'back-up' i.e. not to take small amounts. (he can also phone me from his brothers to say what he has done.)

Note: Perhaps I should say I am used to my John Lewis Card that I pay off every month and via banking online. So as a couple not totally out of our depth.

Again so grateful to all the help and advice :T
  • Marmaduke123
    Options
    If you have a smartphone Barclaycard have a very good app where you can see transactions almost immediately. Very good for keeping track of your spending, and knowing when you are near your credit limit.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    1. OK - it looks like the next move is to apply for the Barclaycard Platinum Travel Card.

Note: Can someone confirm that is the correct one - all this starts to get confusing with so many different Barclaycards on offer.

2. Now we do seem naive what are the advantages of having a Visa and a Mastercard? When I look it up it seems they offer the same.

3. When he gets there if I can recall it will be best for him to make a sufficient cash withdrawal for him to feel he has a real money 'back-up' i.e. not to take small amounts. (he can also phone me from his brothers to say what he has done.)

Note: Perhaps I should say I am used to my John Lewis Card that I pay off every month and via banking online. So as a couple not totally out of our depth.

Again so grateful to all the help and advice :T

https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/credit-cards/platinum-travel-credit-card

On the off chance that someone doesn't accept one of the other. For instance, the VISA network was down a couple of months ago in the UK. But one could pay with a Mastercard, so no issues.
  • GillyFlower
    Options
    If you have a smartphone Barclaycard have a very good app where you can see transactions almost immediately. Very good for keeping track of your spending, and knowing when you are near your credit limit.

Thank you - he doesn't use a smartphone - he will phone me but I don't think he will go over his limit.
  • GillyFlower
    Options
    OK - Barclaycard Travel Card applied for. Watch this space and fingers crossed. :T
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd say you need two cards, and you keep them in different places. So if one doesn't work (the recent Visa fiasco), the other should. And if one is lost, you've still got the other.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    If it doesn't charge for Starling it won't charge for the Clarity. Vice versa is also true.

The cards make no charge, but quite often Canadian ATM's do. C$2 to C$5 is usual.

If he can find ATM that charge either nothing or C$2, a C$200 ATM withdrawal equates to just 1%. So still better value than trying to obtain cash here.
    In addition, the Clarity allows for withdrawals for up to C$840 each time, reducing the total fee to a little as 0.22% for cash withdrawals.
    He should try to use the card for payments when he can.

https://transferwise.com/gb/blog/atms-in-canada

I was in Canada about a year ago and was never charged at any ATM.
  • GillyFlower
    Options
    Hello - OK -

1. Letter just arrived from Barclaycard - saying although it is not the card you originally applied for we are pleased to offer you the Platinum Barclaycard. So....that's the Travel Card out of the window with them.

So positive in the post was his Halifax Clarity Credit Card. :j

2. Next step I guess - forget Barclaycard - apply for Saga card?

Note: Virgin - seems like nearest is 30 miles away. So prefer to do all online if possible.

Before my finger hits the keyboard with another application we would appreciate your thoughts - thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure