We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    well yesterday we lost our remaining black swan :(
    found it collapsed on the grass, got it cosy in a stable but pegged it soon after ... we then worked out it had to be at least 15 years old which according to 'oogle is one and a half times expected lifespan so don't feel so bad now ...

weather here is sunny but cool. bl**dy chilly at night !!
    tides were high last few days and beaulieu and lymington river rose to the max with a bit of road cover but nothing like the poor sods elsewhere [ saw isle of man on the news !! ]

I got taken off my feet today by FISH dog ....:o I was walking one way with him on a long leader and he suddenly saw someone behind me and he doubled back at 90mph taking me with him !! I sort of aqua planed over the grass :rotfl: hand hurts ...so far ....:D

I have said to my sister that if I ever get taken to hospital and staff are concerned I am covered in bruises , to please explain this is NORMAL ! :rotfl:

moved the horses to another field today ... youde think they had been in prison and just let out ... galloping round and round like loonies . it has 2 field shelters in this field and if weather forecast is correct they will need them !

I hope nobody here has been badly affected by the weather so far and everyone one is reasonably fit and well xxx
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    I hope nobody here has been badly affected by the weather so far and everyone one is reasonably fit and well xxx
    I was wondering too about those further north who might have had some of the ex-hurricane weather. Hope you're OK. :)

We've had some windy, rainy times, but nothing serious; in fact other parts of Devon had worse, judging by the comments on the local radio about thunderstorms, which we didn't have. The river has returned to a healthy level at last, but the fishing season's over and I didn't go this year; not even once! :mad:

I've been indoors a lot , attempting to sort a dodgy en-suite floor which ought to have been sorted when it was just a shell, but we didn't notice the dodginess then. One of those jobs that will take a month and no one will know they were done....:(

Just bought another ride-on with a mulching deck to replace the toy one that blocks every time it meets some damp grass. I will have to foist the latter on some unsuspecting person next spring! :o This new s/h one will pull a trailer too, so I'll be looking out for one of those next. :D

Had some visitors today from Urbanshire, whom we haven't seen for 30 years! They don't normally stray far from the main roads and found the lanes and drivers here terrifying, but they brought wellies, which was remarkable. :AWe have a stock of those in different sizes for visitors, who normally don't think to bring any along.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Morning, all.

New job has been taking up the majority of my time and energy - mainly because it involves getting up much earlier - quarter to six, which I know is nothing for most people, but my 'natural' waking up time was 9.30am for somewhere around 30 years (which wasn't exactly ideal for jobs starting at 9am).

Anyhow, the sunrise clock has finally been earning its place, as I have woken up before the alarms go off every single day - and, weirdly enough, not just waking up naturally at the same time every weekend, but I'm also actually going to sleep much earlier/sleeping for more than four hours for the first time in probably forever. I think the best bit is when I have to catch a connecting bus, rather than the direct one and I nip onto a tram - this tips me out at the top of woodland and I get to stroll through an access road as the sun rises (won't be so impressive or desirable when it's dark, though) for half a mile downhill. Naturally, I stick to the practically door-to-door bus service on the way home, or door-to-pub service it's been quite frequently, as the bus goes past his workplace around 10-15 minutes either side of his usual finishing time. And, apart from a couple of evening things, my finish time, set as a direct result of the early start, means I will always leave work during daylight for all but about a week in December.

Only downside is the side order of martyrdom culture, where I was informed absolutely seriously this week that it was rather inconvenient of me to take a break as they've never had anybody who wanted one before - when I politely pointed out that the legal position is between the 3rd & 5th hour, I was prepared to wait until the 6th due to the busy times, but I was taking my full break, they were a little surprised. I can't imagine that anybody employed me straight from a sink school, obviously a local, and genuinely expected me to be completely compliant and unable to assert my legal rights.

Himself initially started with 17 hours a week/two or three days at his new job, but has already had several weeks of solid five days and was upgraded to a contracted/guaranteed paid 17 within a month. It'll be nice when payroll finally get their heads around the idea of paying him his wages, as he's still waiting for his first full salary - the end of October is promised. Just as well I'm here and earning, isn't it?

The usual September Wood/Field mouse appearances has been summarily dealt with by the Idiot Cat using Extreme Prejudice and none have been seen, whole or otherwise, for at least three weeks since Mouseageddon 2019 commenced. Old Mousebreath celebrated his birthday yesterday with some leftover prawns and a lump of turkey that I wasn't prepared to risk for us Humans and is now snoring on the settee whilst stretching out to make sure he occupies more than mine and the Fluffycat's surface area.

In terms of illnesses, I'm on the expensive stuff to try and control the arthritis now, so I'm being super-duper careful around the 1,200 vectors of infection I now work with - there has been a 'bug' that involves 'I have a headache and I feel sick' affecting many of them for about 5 days, very few have actually been sick, though, and the frequency of these attending Medical has reduced somewhat - although that might because word has got out that if you go there, you won't get to go home, you'll be handed a small cold pack for your headache and told 'yes, it isn't very nice, is it?' before being sent straight back to class. Naturally, I was practically hammering on the door of the pharmacy as soon as they got this year's flu jabs in - and Himself only took two weeks to get his done after mine.

Hope everybody else avoids the lurgies!
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Naturally, I was practically hammering on the door of the pharmacy as soon as they got this year's flu jabs in - and Himself only took two weeks to get his done after mine.
    Mine's booked. :A I also get a shingles one this year. :(Meanwhile, I'm hoping to have dodged the snot-lurgy Sam had when he stayed over the weekend while his folks went to a wedding. That was a first, so we wondered how it would go, especially when he howled for his Mum at 03.45 Saturday morning! :(:(

But when I reminded Sam why he was with us for 2 days, he suddenly announced, "I'm going back to bed!" and did so, closing his door and putting the light out too. He didn't emerge again till about 08.00.

Last night, he slept solid for 11 hours. :D Totally unheard-of. We old fogeys can still wear the little blighters out! :p
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    well its been blowing hot and cold here !
    tremendous winds then calm , sunshine then rain [although not heavy] so im assuming the wind is shifting the rain to elsewhere !

im looking after BIG dog [Labrador] for a week and he and fish have been playing non stop ! that's what he needs ! big dog should lose a bit of weight and fish ...well he is just sleeping longer !

I am off on an adventure tomoz ... driving to Basingstoke to pick up a rescue dog and take it to Chichester to a foster home then home [about 150+ miles round trip !! ] it was an emergency foster and as im off this week I volunteered .

I have 2 ladies come round weekly and we natter, eat biscuits and build their dollshouses etc . [my dining room looks like a bombs gone off ! ] we call ourselves "the witches of keeping" ....
    at the moment we are building a 2 floor caf! with roof top garden and an extension for a kitchen . we are thinking old fashioned Cumbria type family caf! . we are then donating it to the local cat and kitten rescue charity shop for them to raffle for xmas . should get them some £s in for the low fund period jan/feb etc .. I will show a pic when its finished .
    we have all become good friends and have such a laugh !

well ive not done half the jobs I intended to this week off ..... but still time to do some !

I hope you are all well, warm and dry xx
  • Davesnave
    edited 8 October 2019 at 7:52PM
    Options
    The weather's all over the place here too, but it gives me an excuse to tidy-up the nursery and do jobs that can be abandoned the second another wave of torrential rain arrives.:D

With all the rain and the warmth, signs of autumn are muted here, but when heading up the M5 to collect Sam, we noticed more trees up there turning than at home. That warmer area around Taunton and along the Bristol Channel may have a quicker spring, but they reach autumn faster than us too. :p

Last Saturday, we managed a trip to RHS Rosemoor, which went OK, thanks to their two good adventure play areas and a sensory trail. It was still looking good:
    P1030768.jpg

They have a new Cool Garden next to the hot one. :cool:
    The small pics are a clickies. If you look closely, you'll see a young person trying out the cooling properties ....:rotfl:
    P1030727.jpg
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Really heavy showers again & the wind really blustery. Plenty of leaves coming off.

Loads of stags in rut so the place is bellowing and echoing off the hills. saw three goats which you don't normally see them down and about the road - but probably loads of stalkers up the hills frightening the bejesus out of them.
    Still camper vans parked up in lay-bys - so the season is extended despite the crip weather.
    Nights fairly drawing in and found myself walking in the woods in half darkness this evening.
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    well my "week off" has not produced a magic wand to finish/start all the jobs that were desperate to be done !
    I cleared one shed , had a big bonfire to prevent me just stashing the cr*p somewhere else ....
    cleared a mountain of clothes etc .. washed / ironed/not ironed/hung up/chucked out .... can now [prob only for now] see/find stuff in my wardrobes..
    listed some stuff on the bay [not hope full ]
    fish and big dog have amused themselves ALL week... he will miss big dog after tomorrow ..
    sister and hubby are over from iow for a long weekend ...and its rained almost non stop ... they stay In a friends empty cottage in lymington ..

well I again hope you are all well and dry and cosy xx
  • Davesnave
    edited 13 October 2019 at 9:34AM
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    sister and hubby are over from iow for a long weekend ...and its rained almost non stop ... they stay In a friends empty cottage in lymington ..
    Distant friends were married over your way yesterday and had the 'do' in Brockenhurst Village Hall, so I peeked at the weather there and went.....:eek:

We had a dampish day, but nothing awful, so managed a bonfire. Like you, we spent yesterday attempting to begin a 'clearance' of the barn, but it was more a sorting-out session, ready for the clearance, but at least we can get in there again now. :D

There's so much to eBay....including at least 3 lawnmowers/ride-ons, a slate hearth, a VW wheel & tyre, a 1960s dolls house and a compressor. That's without all the stuff that's being Freecycled...like 3 washbasins, two of them new....where did they come from? :(

Pleased to say my cunning plan, digging a channel in the silted-up stream bed worked a treat. The water swept through and cut a good hole in the neighbour's sand bar, helped a bit by me....:o....so it's all flowing properly again. :D Neighbour has just sold, allegedly, so the currently overgrown mess of stuff like old tin sheets, scaffold pipes etc he keeps there at the end of his land might soon be tidied up....or there again...:undecided.

At least I've managed to murder his bindweed this year. :p:j
  • Davesnave
    Options
    The land is now getting soggy, but the sheep seem to have healthy feet at present and the rivers are coping with the run-off OK. Apparently things are worse over in the East where Dafty is.

As usual, I took Saturday's flu-jab badly, with aches and joint pain. :( However, as it wasn't raining and I felt better today, I went for a reasonably long walk while the car was being MoTed.

Sadly, although the garage is situated in a picture-postcardish sort of village, there are almost no footpaths around it, so achieving any sort of circular route was akin to a Mensa challenge. I did it, but only by risking life and limb in one part along a busy main road with no pavements. It's struck me before that many people might retire to that pretty rural village, only to find there's no proper dog walking without using the car.:(:(:(

I just made it back to the garage before the heavens opened, so I spent the last 25 minutes (I think they may have forgotten! ;)) of my long wait reading a pile of motoring magazines, all dated around 1965. Lord knows where those came from! An E Type Jag with only 23000 miles on the clock for £1100 was one ad that caught my eye.....

Then I remembered my first week's wage in1967 was about £8.50! :rotfl:

Sorry... rambling. :o Long story short, it passed with no advisories.:D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport