Unexpected request to confirm tax residency - Halifax

Options

Comments

• jeogle
    Options
    I have had one of these letters just recently...and so did my husband. I think they need your national insurance to pass on your information to HMRC! If you have money etc in your account these days you are penalised! and the tax man is wanting a cut of it. It is so they can match your accounts to money coming in....to check if you are paying the right amount of tax! Basically the government don't want you to have money!!! They want their hands on your hard earned cash....its a case of the rich taking from the poor!!!! They don't want anyone having money ...they want it!!! My bank told lies to me...they said we were picked randomly....then they owned up that the government is requesting it...and if you don't provide it...they will pass your details onto the local tax authorities. Just remember BIG BROTHER is watching you! To me its another invasion of privacy...no the wonder people don't invest!!! my advice is withdraw your money and put it under the bed!!! Its far safer!!
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you have savings in an ISA they already have your NI number. It all started with the USA wanting their pound of flesh from Americans with money in other countries. I am just waiting for one (just one) person to come on here and say that their bank have done a good job of this, explaining properly and not having people think it is fraud.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    jeogle wrote: »
    I have had one of these letters just recently...and so did my husband. I think they need your national insurance to pass on your information to HMRC! If you have money etc in your account these days you are penalised! and the tax man is wanting a cut of it. It is so they can match your accounts to money coming in....to check if you are paying the right amount of tax! Basically the government don't want you to have money!!! They want their hands on your hard earned cash....its a case of the rich taking from the poor!!!! They don't want anyone having money ...they want it!!! My bank told lies to me...they said we were picked randomly....then they owned up that the government is requesting it...and if you don't provide it...they will pass your details onto the local tax authorities. Just remember BIG BROTHER is watching you! To me its another invasion of privacy...no the wonder people don't invest!!! my advice is withdraw your money and put it under the bed!!! Its far safer!!
    I won't be taking your advice.

I'd rather pay HMRC any tax that is due on my savings than the local scroat burglar have the whole lot in his pocket. :cool:
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    My friend's 16 year old daughter has just received one of these letters - in the last few days although the date on the letter is 21/12/2016.

She is still in college, has had a part-time job for a couple of months so opened an account at the TSB so her wages could be paid in.

She has no financial connection to the USA.
    She has never had any financial connection to the USA.
    She's not even a tax payer here in the UK.

Her Mum has an account at the same branch but hasn't received a letter.
    I think her Mum is going to go into the local branch with her to see what they say.

Could it be that they have somehow connected her with a US citizen with the same name?
    Update on this.

My friend checked the application form her daughter completed when she opened the account & it didn't ask for her NI number.

The daughter has had a reminder (yesterday) telling her the form is still oustanding - even though on the original letter it said she had until sometime in March to send it back.

Anyone else had a reminder?
  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Update on this.

My friend checked the application form her daughter completed when she opened the account & it didn't ask for her NI number.

The daughter has had a reminder (yesterday) telling her the form is still oustanding - even though on the original letter it said she had until sometime in March to send it back.

Anyone else had a reminder?

I had a reminder about 2 weeks after the first due date.

I then sent off my form on the basis I didn't think fraudsters are likely to send chase letters. (Or maybe they are being very clever and I've fallen for the scam :()

I'm going to monitor my Lloyds bank online details to see when (or if ever) they update my country of residence for tax purposes.
  • volc25
    volc25 Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 5 February 2017 at 5:01PM
    Options
    Yeah I got the same letter from Natwest, seemed legit, took it into a branch where they verified my ID and sent it off for me.

I was only being added to an account that was owned by my decreased Grandma.

Its just new legislation to prove where I pay tax.

Check out this link as it has some answers. https://www.natwest.com/taxresidency
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,496 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was only being added to an account that was owned by my decreased Grandma.

Puzzled by this - if the account of the deceased was a sole account, was it not frozen once the death was notified and closed after probate enabled distribution to beneficiaries?
  • volc25
    volc25 Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    She added me on before she passed, and the letter for tax residency came after she passed. (Even though the bank account card came way before the letter did)
  • nickjohn
    Options
    I got one of the Tax Residency forms from Lloyds.
    Spoke to the call centre and she said they had no details on why I had been sent the form just that the "government" wanted the information. I explained that the government already had my information so why ask for it again to which she agreed and could expand no further. I also asked why they were giving my personal data to a third party without my authority as this breached data protection rules to which she said that the person asking for the info already has my authority to ask for the information (if this is indeed the government then why dont they just look at the info they already hold)...
    Within the letter it says that if I dont complete the form then the bank may forward the information they have on file so I asked what information they had on file but she had no access to this information..
    She said on a number of occasions I should get legal advise off my accountant, but I pointed out all he had said was the form was to get data for US ex pats, which I am not.
    I have never been to America, never worked for an American company nor have I lived / worked outside of the UK.
    All a bit confusing really.

The only rational explanation I can come up with is that last year I started a new business and opened up a new bank account in a name which is the same as a business located in America (I only found this out today after doing a google search today) so im assuming the Americans must have some sort of catch all search database which ties like sounding companies together in foreign countries.
  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Options
    Update after I sent my letter back to Lloyds -

They've updated my online current account details to show United Kingdom as country of residence for tax purposes and populated my National Insurance number.

Wouldn't it have been a lot easier just to ask me to do this originally?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure