Advertising [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]

Options

Comments

• max2009
    max2009 Posts: 543 Forumite
    Options
    BFG wrote: »
    This fraud is second only to VAT fraud in the Northwest [HMRC]

A lot of people i know made millions through this in stoke-on-trent which customs said was the VAT capital of europe :) One guy sent £38 million through a phone scam via defunct roofing company in just 3 months.Another was behind a £138 million phone scam and was ordered to pay back £26 million or they will add time on his sentence.I do not condone it and they deserve everything they get as it is taxpayers money at the end of the day.
  • Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    Options
    It's a scam been there and done that only it was for the NHS where the doctors and nurses would be given the booklet over 5000 supposedly, and a gold card. Paid in the region of £200-£350 I think, only it wasn't distributed as other people who had advertised in it called us up and asked if we had any custom from it.

So any calls like that tell them to run and jump.

Steph xx
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We've received calls from these scam companies. There's a new twist to it as they pretend to be Police Officers or Firefighters:

"Hello, can I speak to the business owner please? Mmy name is WPC Dibbles, from Wythenshaw Police Station, I'm working voluntarily to raise funds for our calendar/diary etc etc."

When you call back the number you get someone pick up the phone just saying "Hello"
    The man without a signature.
  • BFG_2
    BFG_2 Posts: 2,022 Forumite
    Options
    vikingaero wrote: »
    W There's a new twist to it as they pretend to be Police Officers or Firefighters:

"Hello, can I speak to the business owner please? Mmy name is WPC Dibbles, from Wythenshaw Police Station, I'm working voluntarily to raise funds for our calendar/diary etc etc."

When you call back the number you get someone pick up the phone just saying "Hello"

They are taking a massive chance saying they are the police...

Suggestion, anyone who gets a call should record it and ask them who they are again [to get it on tape] , then call the local police station and let them know...
  • HellsGranny
    HellsGranny Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I got caught by one of these years ago when I started a business. The scam was for '999 Diary' which was supposedly issued to all Emergency Service personnel. It came up either on Watchdog or Roger Cook's programme. Boy, did I feel an idiot, but these con artists were very plausible.
  • slogger
    slogger Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    l had a call today from ESM today, and get this, now the booklets are to be left in Supermarkets for customers to pick, Ha Ha if you believe that will work you must live in cloud cuckoo land, l smelt a rat immediately, and told them where to go, they were quite persistant though, l had to hang up in the end, and they record what you say so be very careful what you say on the telephone.
    Please Please do not give these scamsters anymore money.
  • savethedosh
    Options
    Can any body please tell me if this advertising company is genuine?:o
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 June 2009 at 6:34PM
    Options
    Is it not the same company as mentioned above?
    Why what have you been offered?

I usually find they say something ambiguous like "I am calling on behalf of the Police".
  • razzaefc
    Options
    i am in the process of dealing with this company, i had a phone call of them offering to advertise with them on the basis i wouldnt pay a penny until i got a job through there advertising, i laughed and told them were to go, he was adamant thats how it worked so i agreed, one year i have been self employed and i think i have been scammed, after one week and until this date i receive invoices telling me i owe them x amount, i refuse and there threatening me with bailiffs, any advice on what i can do?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure