What to do about neighbour parking Infront of my h

Options

Comments

• LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

So my story... We live on a quiet cul-de-sac. Everyone has at least one car parking space on their driveway and several houses have room for up to 4. The house opposite us has a 1 car drive way and 4 cars ( 2 shiny land rovers that are religiously cleaned every week and never driven anywhere. And two standard family cars).

I wonder why you felt that was relevant? :cool:
  • Navigator123
    Options
    Just a thought. You do realise that, according to the Highway Code, it is an offence to 'reverse on to a public highway'.

That means that all of you who drive in to your house drive and reverse out are commiting an offence.

The police would probably never bother enforcing it but if you were to have a dent with another car when reversing out of your drive the insurance could get very messy.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    The Land rovers are obviously just squatting there. What could be better for a vehicle?
    They get off road parking, and a wash every week. :D
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    Jackmydad wrote: »
    The Land rovers are obviously just squatting there. What could be better for a vehicle?
    They get off road parking, and a wash every week. :D

These are proper 4 x 4s. They are used almost exclusively off road...:D:beer::j
  • clueless1
    clueless1 Posts: 207 Forumite
    Options
    While doing the school run, I always try to park considerately. I don’t park on zigzags or lines etc
    So today I parked on a public side road. I was close to the entrance of the road without being obstructive. The owner of the house who lived on the corner of the main road and the side road where I was parked drove up to my car and hooted me to move. His car was half sticking out of the road. He tapped on my window and said that this was where he lived and that this was his parking space.
    I felt he didn’t have the right to tell me to move but I also hate confrontation so I reversed so that he could park his car. As I was reversing he was also moving his car forward staying very close to me so I felt like he was forcing me back. Anyway, I stopped when my back wheel touched the curb so I couldn’t reverse any more. He was now fully parked on this road but he still continued to hoot me to move further which I couldn’t. He then took a picture of my license number and then took a picture of me. I felt so scared and intimidated but managed to take a picture of him also as I didn’t know why he would take a picture of me.
    I would understand if I had parked in front of his house/on his drive/blocking his drive but I wasn’t, I parked on the side of his house on the side road. He had a garage and a drive in front of his house which was empty.
    I am now worried about what he will now do with my photo. I see mugshots on social media all the time that people share when they caught someone doing something bad with people usually commenting to hurt these people if you come across them.
    I am a worried he’ll do something similar and I am thinking all sorts, am I being paranoid?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,003 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    clueless1 wrote: »
    While doing the school run, I always try to park considerately. I don’t park on zigzags or lines etc
    So today I parked on a public side road. I was close to the entrance of the road without being obstructive. The owner of the house who lived on the corner of the main road and the side road where I was parked drove up to my car and hooted me to move. His car was half sticking out of the road. He tapped on my window and said that this was where he lived and that this was his parking space.
    I felt he didn’t have the right to tell me to move but I also hate confrontation so I reversed so that he could park his car. As I was reversing he was also moving his car forward staying very close to me so I felt like he was forcing me back. Anyway, I stopped when my back wheel touched the curb so I couldn’t reverse any more. He was now fully parked on this road but he still continued to hoot me to move further which I couldn’t. He then took a picture of my license number and then took a picture of me. I felt so scared and intimidated but managed to take a picture of him also as I didn’t know why he would take a picture of me.
    I would understand if I had parked in front of his house/on his drive/blocking his drive but I wasn’t, I parked on the side of his house on the side road. He had a garage and a drive in front of his house which was empty.
    I am now worried about what he will now do with my photo. I see mugshots on social media all the time that people share when they caught someone doing something bad with people usually commenting to hurt these people if you come across them.
    I am a worried he’ll do something similar and I am thinking all sorts, am I being paranoid?
    Yes, do not worry about it. Next time, make a big show of posing for the photo, perhaps pointing to your number plate with a sad face as seen in local newspaper articles. That will completely undermine any kicks the idiot might get from posting the picture on social media for his friends to comment on.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    clueless1 wrote: »
    He tapped on my window and said that this was where he lived and that this was his parking space.
    Did it have his name on it :D
    It`s our space and our road (as we all pay for it)
    You are being paranoid and next time take a photo of him and his car and tell him you will discuss it with the local police for harassment(no need to speak to police unless he gets arsey).

As long as you are parked legally and considerately don`t worry.
  • Homersimpson
    Options
    The bloke who lives opposite me is a total idiot about the spaces outside his house (no drive) is family have three cars and the space outside his house is only enough for one, there is also a shop a few doors down.

He's always telling people off or blocking them in for parking on the public road outside his house.

The other week a van was there and parked for a few days, I thought it was his.

I came home and found a guy who owned the van looking at it, 'someone' had smashed all the back lights on it.

Turned out he was a subcontractor a utility company and had parked it there while working up the road, he subsequently lost the keys and had to get his office to supply him with a spare set.

I have CCTV on my house and he asked if it had seen anything but my camera is angled so it only views my drive.

I'm afraid there are far too many idiots who have bought houses with no drives/insufficent parking and then think that the space outside their house is theres. If someone wants to park a huge van outside you can do nothing about it if its taxed, MOTed and insured. If you don't like it move and if you can't afford to then i'm afraid its just tough, thats the way the word works.

On another note, when I grew up my mum and dad had a house with a grass verge between the road and the path, out neighbour used to park his truck on this, it was there most days even in the day time to the point that people at school thought it was my dads and he worked for the company written on the van.

Move on 20 years and he's retired, woe betide anyone who parks on this (they live near the local high school so its really busy for around 20 minutes twice a day).

Then the other week the neighbour the other side (who doesn't have this infront of their house and use it as a dog toilet told mum that they wanted to put some blocks/rocks on the grass to stop people parking on it. Mum told them not to in no uncertain terms as its not hers and she doesn't want people thinking that she has put them there.

I used to have a neighbour who was !!!!!phile and was keeping illegal firearms, and threatening my family. A bit of parking problems sounds like a breeze in comparison!
    I have a lot of problems with my neighbours, they hammer and bang on the walls sometimes until 2 or 3 in the morning - some nights I can hardly hear myself drilling ;)
  • xbrenx
    xbrenx Posts: 962 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My next door neighbour has a huge drive and only 1 car but a friend of theirs would always park on the road at such as angle as to block our drive (we live in a culdesac with a circular end) not completely but enough to make it awkward to get in. The neighbour always told his friend to park on his drive but for some reason the friend thought that was an inconvenience.

Mild irritation at best.
  • HogMan
    HogMan Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just a thought. You do realise that, according to the Highway Code, it is an offence to 'reverse on to a public highway'.

That means that all of you who drive in to your house drive and reverse out are commiting an offence.

Incorrect

The highway code states:

Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure