Options

Comments

• Lilith1980
    Lilith1980 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Evening everyone :)

I have tomorrow off work which is great! Feels like a Friday today :j

Hubby and I started going through our DVDs. We put aside the ones we didn't want to part with (special editions etc) and the rest we've started putting on Music Magpie, Zillit, and Webuybooks. We said we'd use the amount towards our spending money in Cornwall. We're not going to make loads from them but it might buy hubby a beer and a glass of wine for me, which suits me fine :D

Hubby seems to be getting in the swing of decluttering. He said he's going to look in his shed and sell some tools he no longer uses. He wants to put the money towards buying a new lens for his digital camera, which is fair enough.

I'm definitely going to start meal planning from next month. I opened the cupboard tonight to see we've nearly run out of rice, which is what we use the most of with our meals :eek: I definitely need to plan the amounts we need better as I usually just "guestimate". I said to hubby we could probably do with reducing the amount of chicken we cook in our chicken dishes and bulk them out with pulses. I'm trying to make the chicken we have left last until I do the next shop a week Saturday but want to carry this on in future too.

So tomorrow we'll finish getting prices for the DVDs. We might also do a tip-run because we have empty cardboard boxes we don't need, plus a busted hoover and microwave that need to go. I'm all psyched up to be productive :j
  • System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Enjoy your day. Sounds like you are making great progress. xx
  • Lilith1980
    Options
    ramblehan wrote: »
    Enjoy your day. Sounds like you are making great progress. xx

Thank you :) Yes, small steps but chipping away.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,486 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Enjoy your day off :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • CoffeeCakeYarn
    Options
    hey you! Just catching up with your diary... glad you enjoyed the weekend away but sorry to hear about the car. Some people are just ugh.

Being a nosey here so tell me to bog off if you wish... what do you do for work? I often have that feeling but I've stuck it out for ten years where I am and earn relatively well, for what is now, in the main, a very automated process for me. Although I do have massive imposter syndrome and really struggle with believing I am worth what I am paid, but then it's probably because I'm a bit lazy with the job. When I'm having the, 'Is this all?' episodes I go for a job search, convince myself I don't have the skills to get the pay I'm on now elsewhere, and get on with it haha. I hope it passes soon for you.

Well done on the Aldi. I, too, hated supermarkets and would only go as far as click and collected, but then discovered how much I could save at Aldi. I've found that it's almost empty in the evening, usually get there about 6-7 ish, last night there were only about ten of us in the entire shop. Top tip, don't even LOOK at the middle aisle stuff, it's quite tempting goodies sometimes and can easily double your shopping bill when you end up coming out with the groceries, a scented candle, a microwave and a penguin. Okay, no penguins but you get the picture.

Anyway, keep on keeping on. And if you haven't already seen them have a look a buddha bowls for cheapy lunch inspo xx
    Paid - 7095/26218 - Total
  • Lilith1980
    Options
    Hey Coffee, thank you for your tips! :)

I work in mental health directly with clients. I think my "unhappiness", if that's the right word, is partly because it's become so much about paperwork and working in certain ways only because "that's how it's done here".We've lost the freedom to be more creative in what we do and I feel I can't connect as well with the people I work with because of this. I too look at job sites wondering if I could go into something totally different, but I'd probably have to take a drop in salary. I know money's not everything but right now it's really important! :rotfl:

I get imposter syndrome too. There are some days where I know I procrastinate and am probably not as proactive in the job as I should be. I think that's just where I am right now.

Maybe you should try applying for those other jobs and see what happens? Nothing to be lost!

I'm also questioning whether I want to work 5 days a week forever. I want to earn enough to be comfortable and perhaps work 3-4 days a week so I have time to enjoy life! This 'dream' will be more possible once my debts are cleared as I'll have more disposable income - so that's a big incentive for me to plough on through the debt!

Yes, the middle aisle in Aldi is full of temptation. I spent nearly £10 in there today doing a top-up shop but I went in with a list and avoided the middle aisle! :rotfl:

I'll look up buddhas bowls, thank you. I've heard of them but wasn't sure what they were exactly.

Had a big de-clutter today. Took some rubbish to the tip, got the DVDs ready for Music Magpie and Zillit. We'll get about £18 which is a couple of drinks on holiday which I'm not going to sniff at! I also made some carrot soup using one of the many bags of frozen carrots we have - I was surprised at how tasty it came out. I also made a chicken and chickpea curry earlier in the day so we just had to heat it up this evening. Nigella eat your heart out ;)

Hubby also cleared out some rubbish from his shed and decorated the bathroom, so we've both been very proactive today :j
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,486 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad that you have both been proactive today :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Lilith1980
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Glad that you have both been proactive today :)

Thanks Beanie :)
  • Lilith1980
    Options
    Had a productive day today. We posted off the DVDs to Zillit and Musicmagpie. The shop for the Zillit parcel was a 10 minute walk and as the box wasn't too heavy we walked down there and took the pooch with us.

The Music magpie box had 71 DVDs in it so was considerably heavier! Luckily the shop was only a minute's walk away so we didn't have to drive to either destination :j

I'm now moving onto books and was a bit disappointed with how little these places offer for them, but then I looked on the used ones on Amazon and they sell for less! Unfortunately, we were a bit premature with throwing away all our cardboard boxes so we have nothing to pack the books in, so I'll have to wait until we get some more boxes before the books can go :o

I was feel a bit 'wired' this morning and not in a good way. I think I've just thrown myself into this de-cluttering and 'debt-free' thing too much and perhaps over done it because it's on my mind all the time. So, I did my first bit of yoga in many months using a video on youtube. It was only 20 minutes, but I felt so much calmer at the end. I think I need to do it more often.

Hubby has sold an old camera he no longer uses and also a motorbike chain. He's putting this money away for a new camera lens. He's got the bug for de-cluttering too :j

It's been nice weather today. Blue skies and not as cold as usual. The snowdrops were out too. Spring is on its way. Hope everyone is having a nice Saturday.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi just popping into say you are doing really well with decluttering and debt busting. Sometimes though it does become a bit obsessive and you have to find a happy medium .

Sorry to hear about your car , it's very annoying when it happens and costly as well. I have some flowers coming up in my pots at the front door , thinking they may be crocuses.

Have a good weekend.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure