PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Dogs in rented houses

Options

Comments

• Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    Luck had nothing to do with it.

Of course it did, it always does to some extent.
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 May 2018 at 8:45PM
    Options
    Of course it did, it always does to some extent.

Yes exactly, only 'to some extent' (and very minor at that), but my success in becoming very wealthy was substantially down to working very hard, intelligence and a good judgement and attitude towards taking on risk (I don't take risk on any more, I probably have more than I can spend, so there is no upside in taking on risk).
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • chucknorris
    Options
    missprice wrote: »
    I rent holiday cottages In the UK for my holidays. I used various sites that I can filter for pets allowed. No problems yet in 3 years with two large dogs. I don't send pictures or anything, just describe dogs and ages.
    Also mine are allowed on furniture, so I take several massive blankets to cover things but most places leave a pile of old curtains / sheets / towels for our use.
    If you want a really nice dog friendly cottage in Scotland pm me

We don't have many problems in the UK, but we do like to go to Spain for 4-5 weeks during the winter between semesters (I'm a university lecturer). We find that the choice there isn't great with a dog, I did consider buying a holiday home there, but I don't fancy the hassle of long distance ownership.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Yes exactly, only 'to some extent' (and very minor at that), but my success in becoming very wealthy was substantially down to working very hard, intelligence and a good judgement and attitude towards taking on risk (I don't take risk on any more, I probably have more than I can spend, so there is no upside in taking on risk).

Right, of course.
  • chucknorris
    Options
    Right, of course.

Watch out for that chip on your shoulder, its making you look a bit lob-sided.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Watch out for that chip on your shoulder, its making you look a bit lob-sided.

Not at all, I've been very lucky too. I think its important to realise that rather than getting too self congratulatory and falling into the trap of thinking I deserve more/better than others who have had worse luck.
  • chucknorris
    edited 18 May 2018 at 6:54AM
    Options
    Not at all, I've been very lucky too. I think its important to realise that rather than getting too self congratulatory and falling into the trap of thinking I deserve more/better than others who have had worse luck.

OK so lets look at the facts, and try and see where the luck occurred. When I was 24, I had a serious road traffic accident that took me 4 years to recover from.

During that 4 years I looked at myself and my lack of achievement in life, and I decided to try and do something about it. I was 27 years old (so still 1 year from recovery), I had not been regularly employed for about 7 years, and I had virtually no qualifications, and was left with two disabilities from the accident. I could no longer rotate my left wrist, no supination, and reduced pronation (my radius and ulna had both shattered and had fused together). Also my femur (thigh bone) had shattered too, and this left me with virtually no right knee bend, and other complications. I was informed that it was unlikely that I could work as an electrician again, due to my disabilities, although I doubted that, I was never happy doing that anyway, and I decided to re-invent myself. The first thing that I had to do was get an education, at the same time my disabilities (from the accident) were being assessed via the job centre, they came up with 'assistant QS' (quantity surveyor) and I enrolled on an assistant quantity surveyors course, where I eventually sat a city and guilds exam. I had worked really hard on that course, and was rewarded for my efforts by obtaining the highest marks in the exam in the British Commonwealth, and I won the silver medal (there was no gold medal). By this time I realised that I wanted to become a chartered quantity surveyor (not merely an assistant quantity surveyor). So I applied to various polytechnics to read for a QS degree as a mature student at 28. I went to Leeds Poly, quite intimidated, being amongst all those much more intelligent students (but that was just my in my mind), I thought that if I worked really hard I might somehow scrape through and end up with a degree. But I actually ended up being the top student, and I got a first class honours degree, not because I was a genius, but again because I worked so hard. When I graduated at 32, they asked me to stay on and teach there, but I was quite looking forward to working in industry, but again, a bit scared because of my age (being much older than all the other graduates). So as well as working very hard in my career I also started off two businesses that I built up in my spare time (but I had no spare time, I worked late every night, every weekend, and all my holidays. 10 years later, I nearly had a break down, and I realised that I had to stop working so hard, so at 42, I retired from quantity surveying, but by then I was a multi-millionaire, and my two businesses were providing more income than my career. 10 years later, at 52 I sold one of the businesses, I found I had a lot more time, and I started another career as a university lecturer, which I really enjoy. I gave them my notice to retire a couple of years ago, but they asked me to consider staying on, and work one day per week, which I did, and I think I'll do that for the foreseeable future.

So where was the luck:

- Having the serious road traffic accident, that took 4 years of my life to recover from, but which triggered me to re-evaluate my life and turn it around? I don't think many would call that luck.

- Working really hard and getting the highest marks in the City & Guilds exam (which enabled me to go to a polytechnic)? Not really, that was down to hard work (and also some ability).

- Ditto getting my first class honours degree.

- Ditto becoming a successful chartered quantity surveyor.

- Ditto for putting in the effort (on top of my career) to build up two businesses.

So why don't you tell me, where was the luck? I really think that it was down to hard work. I would accept that I was very lucky that I didn't die or was even more seriously hurt in the accident, considering the car that I was in, somersaulted over the crash barrier of the M1, and ended up upside down on the embankment on the other side of the M1. But that luck didn't really give me what I have now, I achieved what I did, in spite of that.

EDIT: I am 60 now, and I if I had my time over again, I would have followed the same path, but I would not have worked so hard. I realise that I sacrificed my personal life too much and worked too hard. But I was financially insecure, and I didn't really believe in my ability for a very long time (in spite of some success), and thought that I had to work harder than everyone else to get somewhere in life. I was financially insecure mainly down to coming from a poor background, and I was determined to become wealthy (or die trying). But I am not unhappy about my choices, I am happy and grateful for what I have now, but I do not think that it was down to luck. But I do wish that I had been more confident and believed in myself more when I was younger.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    OK so lets look at the facts, and try and see where the luck occurred. When I was 24, I had a serious road traffic accident that took me 4 years to recover from.

During that 4 years I looked at myself and my lack of achievement in life, and I decided to try and do something about it. I was 27 years old (so still 1 year from recovery), I had not been regularly employed for about 7 years, and I had virtually no qualifications, and was left with two disabilities from the accident. I could no longer rotate my left wrist, no supination, and reduced pronation (my radius and ulna had both shattered and had fused together). Also my femur (thigh bone) had shattered too, and this left me with virtually no right knee bend, and other complications. I was informed that it was unlikely that I could work as an electrician again, due to my disabilities, although I doubted that, I was never happy doing that anyway, and I decided to re-invent myself. The first thing that I had to do was get an education, at the same time my disabilities (from the accident) were being assessed via the job centre, they came up with 'assistant QS' (quantity surveyor) and I enrolled on an assistant quantity surveyors course, where I eventually sat a city and guilds exam. I had worked really hard on that course, and was rewarded for my efforts by obtaining the highest marks in the exam in the British Commonwealth, and I won the silver medal (there was no gold medal). By this time I realised that I wanted to become a chartered quantity surveyor (not merely an assistant quantity surveyor). So I applied to various polytechnics to read for a QS degree as a mature student at 28. I went to Leeds Poly, quite intimidated, being amongst all those much more intelligent students (but that was just my in my mind), I thought that if I worked really hard I might somehow scrape through and end up with a degree. But I actually ended up being the top student, and I got a first class honours degree, not because I was a genius, but again because I worked so hard. When I graduated at 32, they asked me to stay on and teach there, but I was quite looking forward to working in industry, but again, a bit scared because of my age (being much older than all the other graduates). So as well as working very hard in my career I also started off two businesses that I built up in my spare time (but I had no spare time, I worked late every night, every weekend, and all my holidays. 10 years later, I nearly had a break down, and I realised that I had to stop working so hard, so at 42, I retired from quantity surveying, but by then I was a multi-millionaire, and my two businesses were providing more income than my career. 10 years later, at 52 I sold one of the businesses, I found I had a lot more time, and I started another career as a university lecturer, which I really enjoy. I gave them my notice to retire a couple of years ago, but they asked me to consider staying on, and work one day per week, which I did, and I think I'll do that for the foreseeable future.

So where was the luck:

- Having the serious road traffic accident, that took 4 years of my life to recover from, but which triggered me to re-evaluate my life and turn it around? I don't think many would call that luck.

- Working really hard and getting the highest marks in the City & Guilds exam (which enabled me to go to a polytechnic)? Not really, that was down to hard work (and also some ability).

- Ditto getting my first class honours degree.

- Ditto becoming a successful chartered quantity surveyor.

- Ditto for putting in the effort (on top of my career) to build up two businesses.

So why don't you tell me, where was the luck? I really think that it was down to hard work. I would accept that I was very lucky that I didn't die or was even more seriously hurt in the accident, considering the car that I was in, somersaulted over the crash barrier of the M1, and ended up upside down on the embankment on the other side of the M1. But that luck didn't really give me what I have now, I achieved what I did, in spite of that.

EDIT: I am 60 now, and I if I had my time over again, I would have followed the same path, but I would not have worked so hard. I realise that I sacrificed my personal life too much and worked too hard. But I was financially insecure, and I didn't really believe in my ability for a very long time (in spite of some success), and thought that I had to work harder than everyone else to get somewhere in life. I was financially insecure mainly down to coming from a poor background, and I was determined to become wealthy (or die trying). But I am not unhappy about my choices, I am happy and grateful for what I have now, but I do not think that it was down to luck. But I do wish that I had been more confident and believed in myself more when I was younger.

You were lucky not to get killed.

[That's only tongue in cheek, because I know someone will say it somewhere down the line]

[and I think I have a right to say it, being a member of the same club]

Everyone has some luck some how, but it doesn't mean you had it easy, right?
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • quantumlobster
    Options
    All the dogs i know smell. None of the owners think they smell. Hence extra deposits etc; cleaning may cost more.
    Interestingly, all houses smell, including yours. They may smell of dog, or cat, or cooking, or smoking, or BO, or air freshener and cleaning products, or fresh flowers, or whatever hobby the owner has.

I have two dogs (neither of whom are labrador-esque in the magnitude of their smell, but they do smell of dog, esp. when wet :)) but what I notice when I go to houses that have no dogs (or have cats) is that they smell different, not that they smell better or worse, or not at all.

TBH, I can't think of a quadruped pet that holds a candle to caged birds for pong-osity.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    So why don't you tell me, where was the luck?

Why don't YOU have a think about that perhaps?

For starters, you live in the UK, I presume you were born here? That's pretty lucky.

You don't mention any abuse, neglect or trauma in your childhood so I presume you didn't have any. That's really lucky.

You are at least reasonably intelligent. That's really lucky.

Your accident was something that it was possible to recover from, that was lucky.

I'm not saying you haven't worked hard, but luck plays a part in all our lives. What's so bad about accepting that? Why is it so important to you to deny the impact of good fortune? Does it make it easier to look down on others if you tell yourself they could have the same as you if they'd only worked hard enough?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure