PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Making savings before it's too late

Options

Comments

• tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Did my big shop for the month yesterday at at cost of 53.68, luckily it's only a four week month for me I will give myself £25 a week to cover our fresh food. I usually budget £240 a month for groceries and household sundries so if everything stays to plan should have £85 to put towards my shed.
    If only the house was doing as well as the savings, ironing pile is escaping the basket, windows desperately need cleaning but that's a job for tomorrow as I better get myself off to work just not enough hours in the day of late.
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    What happens if the customer doesn't sign it?

Could have been rejected from the bank, I guess it would have just been slipped in the pile and seen if anyone pick it up the other end ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I had cash left over yesterday so decided to treat myself, popped into a village shop on the way home from the tip. Bought myself a fab filo cookfood ready meal (two in the pack) plus a cookfood pack of two puds. Both in the freezer for another day. I am celebrating a very good `money aware` january. February will be a whole lot easier and I start to build up my bills account and my depleted cash store
  • blackcatsx2
    Options
    Mardatha, my recollection with the credit card slip back in the 80’s was that the customer’s signature was the authority for the transaction and therefore an unsigned chitty meant it couldn’t be banked - I suppose like an unsigned cheque.

After that Saturday job in BHS I got a Saturday job in Salisbury’s Handbags - there we didn’t have an adding up till - you had to hand write a receipt and add it up(and take off 10% or any discount in the sale). It was a bit more hard work on the till but so worth it for the 20% staff discount which meant I spent a chunk of my weekly wages on earrings, purses, bags etc. I guess I’ve only recently started to change that sort of spending habit all these years later :money: oh and I took a 15p per day pay cut when I moved from BHS to Salisbury’s - the temptation of all those earrings seemed worth the pay cut.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I once worked in a bakers without an adding-up-till, and still remember with horror trying to add up long columns of figures in pencil on the back of a paper bag.... then somebody comes along and swipes the bag to serve their customer and you have to start all over again :rotfl:
  • tboo
    tboo Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sauntered down to Lidls and was pleasantly surprised with my haul.

Not sure on the savings but I did get a lot for my money.

The range was good especially the meat section, it will take a while getting used to the products that they sell but this is to save money in the long run.

Onwards and upwards.
    “You’re only here for a short visit.
    Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
    Walter Hagen

365 Day 1p Challenge for 2021 #41 ✅
    Jar £440.31/£667.95 and Bank £389.67/£667.95

• blackcatsx2
    Options
    Tboo - I’m about 6 months into Lidl’s shopping now and really notice the difference in my expenditure. I think quality of most things is as good or even better than the traditional supermarkets. There are still some things I get in our local coop which I can’t get in Lidl’s but I use my membership card there and that gives a good rate of cash bonus so I’m happy with that. In fact I went into Wait rose last week and was taken aback by the cost of things and found myself wishing I’d gone to Lidl’s! 6 months ago I would never have put Lidl’s above w’rose.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I went onto the gur (sewing) site yesterday, virtual shopping and bought 2 russian dolls, blanks in a set with paints and varnish. They were half price snd are perfect for 2 grandaughters for presents. I didn`t intend to get presents early this year but it isn`t often I see anything so perfect at such a bargain and it is also about time and what to get

The next cc statement looks as though it will be affordable from my current account and I will pay it off after checking flow via m/s money.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just checked on money, on my old disconnected laptop. I cannot do anything yet, forgot about car tax going out in a day or so. Kind of hopping from monday to monday at the moment, state pension goes in then. Thinking on it, next move will be to re-build my cash in house, it has always been a very good smoother, having that cash at home. Will take the max allowed out of current account next week and go from there.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I'm going to blow my budget this week, we need new kitchen stools. Always something kittie eh!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure