Travel Insurance Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• camking
    Options
    As I tend to travel for my main holiday at the same time each year, my annual insurance is often scheduled to expire whilst I'm away. Therefore, I always do the renewal before leaving as then there is continuity of cover, and all is fine.

What happens if I want to change insurance provider?

I know I need to buy the new policy before leaving home, but does it matter that the new policy is coming into effect whilst I am not in the UK?
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    camking wrote: »
    As I tend to travel for my main holiday at the same time each year, my annual insurance is often scheduled to expire whilst I'm away. Therefore, I always do the renewal before leaving as then there is continuity of cover, and all is fine.

What happens if I want to change insurance provider?

I know I need to buy the new policy before leaving home, but does it matter that the new policy is coming into effect whilst I am not in the UK?

I would say be very careful. Better to start the policy the day before you are due to leave the UK may be safer as most policies state that your travel has to start and end in the UK. If your policy starts when you have already left it may trouble ahead.
  • Bob!_2
    Options
    I have booked a Holiday for April 2019 to Jamaica for a family group.
    Myself (Age 60 from Feb 2019) and my wife, 56 at time of travel.
    Our eldest son, partner and 3 children.
    Our other son.

I have paid for the holiday myself with no contribution from our Children.
    Myself & wife have annual insurance that will need renewing before this holiday, my wife has a declarable medical condition of high blood pressure.

What is the best way to buy insurance for this trip? Should each family group buy seperate insurance, if this is done though is the holiday cost covered even though that group is not actually paying for it?
  • Nome35
    Options
    Hi everyone one! I plan to go and live in Italy for a year, returning to the UK on a regular basis and make trips around Italy too. Will it be ok to take out annual travel insurance to cover me while I am there? Thanks
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nome35 wrote: »
    Hi everyone one! I plan to go and live in Italy for a year, returning to the UK on a regular basis and make trips around Italy too. Will it be ok to take out annual travel insurance to cover me while I am there? Thanks
    Most annual policies have a limit on trip length of 30 days or 60 days (measured from leaving UK to returning to UK). Check the policy.
    koru
  • vintner55
    Options
    Hi,

I've just been looking for single trip insurance for a 2 week caribbean cruise for my 90 year old father. He has high blood pressure and gout and a few other minor things I declared as required as they involved visits to the doctor or hospital.
    I was surprised to get cover from Avios for £125.41 plus £20 to cover his medical conditions. Most other insurers wanted around £600. This is their premier cover and includes medical at 10m and cancellation cover £10,000. There is no extra charged for cruises. The medical screening is more detailed than most and Dad is fit and in good health so perhaps that is why the premium is not so loaded.
    Just wanted to pass it on as very good value for his age and the location and type of holiday.
  • Jim02
    Jim02 Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi folks,

I have a couple of trips away next Spring, sailing in Greece. Some of the costs are a little less formal, ie. I'm paying the money for the place on the boat into the organiser's bank account rather than to a registered company. That's fine as I know the guy and have sailed with him before. But I don't get a receipt for example.

However if events conspire to make me unable to travel, I'd want to make sure these costs are recovered as well as flight costs etc.

Can anybody advise on a good insurer for what might be termed an "activity holiday" (everybody is involved in the sailing, it's not just sitting around sipping martinis while others do the work!). And also how I'd go about protecting my unreceipted holiday costs?

Thanks
    Jim
  • Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy travel insurance that will cover me for a flight from Edinburgh to Southampton, before joining a cruise in Southampton. I want to make sure that if the flight is delayed or cancelled and I miss the cruise I'll be refunded for both. Does anyone know if this exists, please? Initial enquiries suggest this might not exist.

Thanks in advance,
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy travel insurance that will cover me for a flight from Edinburgh to Southampton, before joining a cruise in Southampton. I want to make sure that if the flight is delayed or cancelled and I miss the cruise I'll be refunded for both. Does anyone know if this exists, please? Initial enquiries suggest this might not exist.

Thanks in advance,
    I would have thought most policies would cover this. See for instance HolidaySafe policies.
    koru
  • robertoegg
    Options
    I've got a Nationwide Flex Plus. We've just booked a holiday directly with a chalet in Italy. We have consequently booked flights. Now the chalet has come back to us and stated they have got the dates wrong.

Nationwide can provide no help for this situation and have told me I need to claim from the individual in Italy.

Is this standard from a Travel Insurance policy?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback