DO NOT RETURN MISSED CALLS STARTING 0709

Options
Glad
Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
I received this warning today

We have been made aware of the following mobile phone scam:

A missed call will show on your mobile phone. The number is 0709 020 3840.
The last four numbers may vary, but the first four numbers remain the same.
If you call this number back, you will be charged £50.00 per minute. People
have complained about their phone bills once they have realised the cost of
the call, however this is completely legal. Please beware, do not call back
numbers beginning with 0709. We have been advised by BT & Vodafone Business
Solutions that this scam is true.

Please do not return any missed calls beginning with an 0709 prefix as you
will be liable for the cost of the call.

This electronic message contains information from Business Link North Manchester, which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it was sent, who is named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this message is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us immediately by telephone on (0845) 606 3388 (if you are in the UK) or email info@blnm.co.uk
This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses.
https://www.mimesweeper.com
I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No you won't. It's an urban myth. If you called BT yourself you would know.
  • neelesh_2
    Options
    It is a scam, but who came up with £50/min?

I also thought the max charge the "0709" / personal numbers regulator allows is about 50p/min. When my wife was in the hospital, the direct number to her bedside phone start with "0709". The "09" numbers are the one to avoid.

Makes you wonder how much money the telephone operators have made with people calling up for clarification. ;)
  • Furniture_man
    Options
    ;););) ;)Thanks for the warning.

My Orange mobile has several times, over the past few weeks, has come up with a number (which I cannot remember) informing me I have missed 3 calls and to ring a particular number to retreive them.

I just hit the delete button.

Probably more out of luck than judgement.
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Orange have started a service when you have your mobile turned off and someone rings you, they will send you a free text saying that you have missed a call from a particular number. You may not recognise it because it is in the international form
    eg :+447973 123456
    would be: 07973 123456

Try it yourself. Turn you phone off, ring your number with a different phone, turn your phone back on and wait. I'm not sure if it only mobiles that this is for or landlines as well. It took about 5 minutes to show up in a message. But I think the rule applies, if you don't know the number, don't ring it.
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You should be aware of any missed calls with an 070 code. Although these 'personal rate' numbers do not allow the end user to generate any income any more, businesses supplying these numbers can generate some income.

All they do is supply the 070 number to themselves, make a quick call (so quick it is not answered). You then call them back and get put in a queing system!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure