2018 I WILL be debt free!

Options
Hi, I'm new to this site so please bare with me. I've been reading stories online for months about how people have got out of debt and I've found the truly inspirational to say the least! It's certainly kept me going through my bad days. Sadly, I only found this site a month or so ago, so can't share my whole getting debt free experience (a lot paid off now) but I want to log my 2018 get free mission!
So basically towards my late 20's I had abit of a light bulb moment-I thought I'd rally up my credit cards, overdrafts, loans etc and my gosh it was one heck of a shock!!! And I'm sad to say, I've nothing to show for all that money wasted-about £11,000 in fact!! But a fabulous few holidays I had! Now, I have paid down that debt-as much as it nearly killed me, but I've still got a bit to go.
Here goes:
CC1-£600 left to pay.
CC2-£900 left to pay.
Parent loan-£265
Overdraft limit is £2,500- which im desperately trying to get rid of so currently in at £1000, as my wage doesn't cover my overdraft ( I know, I know-how silly!!) However, for 5+ years I've always gone right upto my overdraft limit (sometimes over) so the fact I've stamped it down over the past couple of months is amazing-but that was due to a wake up from the bank when they shot up there daily overdraft fee to being charged daily-ugh! Anyway, gave me the kick i needed!!
So including my full overdraft (£2,500) I'm at about £4,265. I'm absolutely want this gone 100% this year, with an emergency fund saved. Anyway, after reading through some amazing diaries on here, I've decided to keep track of my own spending-for some reason something I've never done. So here is day 1-Not spent anything today-weather been awful so not left the house! I will continue to log money spent, debts paid down etc and will look forward to reading more diaries over the next few days.
Luckily for me the CC (at the moment) are 0% so I've got to get on this 100% over the next few months.
My plan: to clear CC2-I've been paying £500 a month off, so Jan-£500, Feb-£400 then clear!!! That will free up £500 a month!!
Next, get as much money in account as possible to pay overdraft off, as this is the only thing I'm being charged for (about £60 a month at the moment) which I can cope with for two more months, as I just desperately need to see CC2 clear-it's been my toughest one of all and I can finally see the finish line!
Once £2500 clear and no overdraft (or very small one) I will tackle CC1- I always pay £50 or slightly more a month off, the minimum is usually £14 (or around that) so I pay more than double off. If I continue to do this for 4 months, that will pay another £200, making CC1-£400. Then in May I can pay that all off in one (I'm used to paying £700 out of my wage every month on debt, so this will be nothing!) I have spent the past two years paying this debt down, and my gosh it's been hard-the silly chocies made years ago, and I'm still paying them off-if only I could speak to my younger self-never ever again!! The amount I've had to miss out on over the past years is sad, but I know it's all my own fault and I've learnt that hard way and I know I absolutely 100% will never get in this mess again! I'm really hoping by May/June I will totally debt free.
My biggest issue at the moment is desperately trying to keep as much money in my account as possible. (Which is why keeping a diary is a good idea-I think.) Wish me luck :)
By Christmas 2018, I would also like a healthy emergency fund off £1,500-2,000 with a seperate Christmas fund.
I've also decided to start a Christmas fund this year, £30-£40 a month, as for years I've paid Christmas on the CC (but not 2017, I did save and not a loan or credit card was used-1st time in years, so I was rather proud!)
As I've probably rambled too much, I'll stop now and check in with my daily spends time tomorrow. :)

Comments

• redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi, just dropping in to say good luck with your new diary.
  • Debtnomoreplease
    Options
    Hi, thank you for commenting :-)
  • Penny2myName
    Penny2myName Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good luck on the diary and getting the OD sorted, it is hard when the OD is more than you income. I have just brought my OD down to £50, I wanted to make sure I could easily pay it by doing an extra shift if needed.
    19th March 2007 LBM£5,969.63 1st January 2018 £5960.18, 1st January 2019 £11,032.0018th August 2023 £12,435.00, Student Loan £22244.00 From 2009-12Challenges: To learn to stop spending..
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,595 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If your CC2 is 0% and you are being charged for your overdraft would it not be better to tackle the overdraft first?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Debtnomoreplease
    Options
    Hi, thanks for your comment.
    I can totally see where you're coming from and I have thought about this, but with that CC having been my hardest and biggest battle of all-I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I'm the kind who like to rock things off, I just desperately want to see one gone. It will be gone by the end of Feb, then I can throw the rest at the overdraft. :-)
  • Debtnomoreplease
    Options
    Thank you. It's an overdraft which has built up over the years-an extra couple of hundred added each other month etc and before I knew it, it was over my wage-completely over! But what's done is done. So only thing to do now is pay it off and never get on the mess again. Thank tou for replying, much appreciated
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good luck :)
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • zippygeorgeandben
    Options
    You'll get to Xmas and won't be wanting to spend all the money and you'll throw it at the emergency fund instead.
    WON'T YOU!? ;)
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
  • Debtnomoreplease
    Options
    2/2/18- Todays plan, I've got a jar of coins which I'm going to change today-should mount up to about £15 ish. I've got my nieces birthday gift to buy, so I'm going to use that money then I don't need to touch my account. Sadly, it won't be a NSD, but at least they money ain't coming out of my account. I'm going to write a list of things I need for the next couple of month-birthday gifts etc, so I can get organised.
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    Best of luck with your plan, I've just made one too!

Keep your eye on the prize and I'm sure you'll be fine!

Cheers!
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport