2018 I WILL be debt free!

Options

Comments

• Debtnomoreplease
    Options
    Day 18. 18.1.18. Just on lunch break, took a later one as I'm working tonight, so been a VERY long morning, but got to do what you got to do to become debt free. At last it's stopping me spend money-too tired today for that, and the day isn't over yet! But I'm extremely grateful I've got the opportunity to earn extra money and gain extra hours, so I'm not complaining in that respect at all. This is a very strong reminder to never get in this mess again.
    Abyway, a chat with a colleague this morning was rather interesting. I was working and had my phone on (forgot my headphones!) so it was playing out loud, well in slightly obsessed with other people's debt free stories and listen to a lot of Dave Ramsey and his debt free screams etc. So she asked what I was listening to and why, so I told her. I also told her (baring in mind I wouldn't exactly call her a friend) how I was working hard to become debt free after stupid choices I've taken in the past etc. But now I'm 100% focussed, and determined to be debt free and have a good couple of thousand saved by Christmas! And she started to open up about her money problems, how she's expected to live this 'luxury life' etc as her friends all have money. She said she is very near to breaking point. I told her you can't pretend to live a life, which isn't suited to your affordability etc and if they were true friends, they'd understand and just because they seem rich, doesn't mean they are-it could all be on credit cards too! Nobody knows anyone's circumstances and they only tell you what they want to tell you etc. Anyway, we had a good heart to heart and it made me feel good to open up about my debt and not feel totally embarrassed! Whereas, in the past I was mortified. Now I can see how far I've come, I've accepted the responsibility of the debt and the mess I got myself into, and how I'm the only person who can get out it. I've grown up a lot over the past year or so-for the better I'd like to think.
    Anyway, just wanted to write this down as a memory and a remminder not all is as it seems;people struggle, but don't always admit their problems. And you never know, we might turn out to be friend; after all we've got something in common now.
    Best get back to work, won't do its self. :-)
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    ^^ Great post!

I think people are conditioned into "keeping up with the Joneses".

Unless you inherit a small fortune or win the lottery, that really means some form of debt, or certainly stretching your means. I got to about 40 before I stopped caring what other folk thought of me. I always wanted to have flashy cars, wild nights out and 4+ holidays a year because I thought that was impressive.

It doesn't feel very impressive when you realise that all the money you're spending on debt repayment could be spent on having a better quality of life now and in the future.

We don't think about our future selves when we are young.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• Debtnomoreplease
    Options
    Thanks Fatrab. I know, if only we could tell our younger selves that all the above stuff isn't all that. I'd 100% rather have no debt, health and peace of mind over any flash holiday or flash car...funnily enough, all things you can't buy!
    Day 19. 19.1.18.
    Glad it's Friday, even if I'm working until 10:30pm, but money for debt so can't complain. This month seems to be the longest month ever, but suppose Jan always feels the same. However, I bet it doesn't feel a long month when I'm finally debt free! Ha ha. Anyway, back to work I go-thinking of a nice lie in in the morning will keep me going! :-)
  • Debtnomoreplease
    Options
    Day 20. 20.1.18.
    Morning, I've just woke up-how lazy, but I feel great! Working for a couple of hours later this afternoon, so feel I deserved Abit of a lie in after the hours this week. Plus-it's better to lie in and catch up on sleep than to spend money. Ha ha.
    Anyway, lazy free hours planned, breakfast (probably more lunch now) coffee, abit of budget planning (again) work out overtime money, and probably watch abit of trash TV before work. This may sound all rather boring, but none of it costs money and my head is feeling a lot clearer at the moment, and that it something you certainly can't buy, so for that I'm grateful. The things I need to get through the day-1st most defiantly a good nights sleep (I've lost a lot of sleep over the past years) so I appreciate it when I can switch off and sleep-something that's free. 2nd-coffee or I don't become human until nighttime-ha ha. Sadly costs, but I ain't fussy , so I buy from the poundshop so the cost is -£1.
    3rd-cuddles, kisses and laughter from my niece and nephew.
    4th-friends and family time.
    5th-a good book (I like to drift away into the book and forgot things for a while) Free as I use the local library. :-)
    Amazing when you break it down to the simple things in life that make you happy, that it really doesn't need to cost a fortune.
    Happy Saturdau folks. I hope everyone can have something to be greatful for today. No ones lives are perfect, and someday slight take a little longer to find something to be grateful for, but things will get better eventually.
  • Debtnomoreplease
    Options
    Day 21. 21.1.18. Not much to report today, apart from my day off! Nothing much planned, weather awful anyway! Plan on a NSD, Abit of reading diaries on here and then get sorted for the rest of the week.
    I have shredded old bills-very therapeutic I must say.
    Roll on pay day!
  • Debtnomoreplease
    Options
    Day 22. 22.1.18.
    Been a crap day from start to finish-I'm saying finish because I'm going; to lock the doors, shut the curtains, turn the lights off, light my candles and have no more human contact until tomorrow morning!
    Just feeling fed up today, All I dreamt about last night was money, but thought I'd got my head straight about it. Came home to a letter from the bank offering me a loan!!!!! It went straight in the bin!! I'm just hoping I'm having a bad day, and that I'll be back to positive thinking tomorrow, as my head just feels all over the place right now. Good to have this diary to rant to, and get my thoughts down.
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    I felt like that last Wednesday. Mid-week slump I think it was. I think you've just got a dose of the Monday blues!

My dreams are pretty random at the best of times. When I get stressed I always dream about my Dad, he's always there but never says anything. He died a few years ago.

You are allowed to have bad days. :)
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• MeenaM
    MeenaM Posts: 320 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    good luck and you're doing really well so far, i am also a big fan of the Dave Ramsey debt free screams , we will be doing one of those one day !
    paid off £27,527.47 debt free journey began Nov 2017 DEBT FREE 13.09.2019!! EF £3500/£5000
  • Debtnomoreplease
    Options
    23rd-28th Jan. I've been rather naught and neglected checking in every day on here-tut tut!
    However, I've been busy working as much over time as possible & organising/sorting out a new envelope system.
    I'm absolutely shattered due to overtime etc, but it's not given me much time to spend it when I have had time I've been too tired, so that's certainly a good point.
    I had a couple of down days where I felt everything got on top of me, but I've stood up and dusted myself down-won't get anywhere feeling sorry for myself, will I?! I've reminded myself that this debt isn't forever and WILL be paid by Dec 2018 (hopefully before) even if I have to drag myself kicking and screaming towards it. I was looking at my personal diary the other day and a date personal to me came up, and I was shocked that a year had already passed from that sad day-it showed me how fast time really goes, so I should stop wishing my life away for the next pay day, and just deal with things daily and be grateful I've got the chance to deal with things and make things right.
    I'm going to pour a coffee and do another plan for this month coming up as its pay day on Weds. I will squeeze my budget as much as I can, but I do desperate need to be putting some money in my envelope system for emergencies-car, medical etc. I will update later when I've got a clearer plan. One thing is for sure-that overdraft is coming down this month!!!
  • Debtnomoreplease
    Options
    29.1.18. Two days until pay day! I seriously can't wait for when I'm debt free and my wage is my wage!
    Anyway, nothing much to report today. Going to pay £500 off overdraft this month as advised on here. Minimums on CC as they are 0% and put some away for savings, as I have nothing and desperately need some savings. I have a seperate savers account to will add money to this. Hoping to put £200 in this month to start it off.
    Dreaming of my debt free day!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport