Haggle with BT - our new guide

Options

Comments

• Stickler1
    Options
    I am an existing BT Broadband customer. BT recently advertised a good deal in the i Newspaper . BT Infinity 1 broadband, Phone with BT Sport, £39.50 a month.
    I'm currently on standard tariff and BT Infinity 2 so costing £70+ a month !!!!!.
    Rang up to renew but they said the deal was only open to new customers !!!
    So on the chat line with India I gave notice of cancellation. They agreed to a a new package with me with BT Infinity 1, Phone, BT Sport and Sky Sport for £51 a month. On receiving the renewal contract by e mail this was incorrectly advised to me as £62.99 a month. I have now complained and dealing with their complaints team . Will keep you posted on the outcome.
  • Birdstarr
    Birdstarr Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Reading the latest MSE email it gives the impression that you can switch from BT to plusnet without coming out of your contract. Is this correct?

Thanks
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Birdstarr wrote: »
    Reading the latest MSE email it gives the impression that you can switch from BT to plusnet without coming out of your contract. Is this correct?

Thanks

No.

You have misunderstood

You need to give notice to end your contract with bt before moving to any other supplier including plusnet
  • mobilejo
    mobilejo Posts: 333 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    No.

You have misunderstood

You need to give notice to end your contract with bt before moving to any other supplier including plusnet

Correct but had given customers a 'get-out' for 30 days from the date they notified us about the price increases.
  • Birdstarr
    Birdstarr Posts: 18 Forumite
    edited 4 January 2018 at 4:21PM
    Options
    So I'm tied to a contract with BT until June 2018 and there's no getting out of it? I don't understand how I'm supposed to save money. I was under the impression that you could save if you were in a contract too.

Thanks for your help.
  • mobilejo
    mobilejo Posts: 333 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So I'm tied to a contract with BT until June 2018 and there's no getting out of it? I don't understand how I'm supposed to save money. I was under the impression that you could save if you were in a contract too.

Thanks for your help.

Looking at the MSE email, it does say "So if you're out of contract, why not ditch and switch, and if you're loyal there's a way to save too."

which I think is referring to those who want to stay with BT but who are not in contract.

If you are in contract, and have missed the 30 days 'get of contract free' due to the price hike period , then sadly I think you are stuck for the time being. Power to haggle only exists when they know you can walk away, and while you're in contract they know you're not going anywhere for the time being.
  • HaggleThemLow
    Options

Thanks for your help.

It's not easy to haggle when your still contracted, but not impossible.
    Try asking about a new contract, maybe a new 2 year one, BT are always keen to try and sign you up for longer. Ask about adding TV, even if you don't want it, sometimes this can actually reduce your overall cost.
    If you're on ADSL ask about an upgrade to fibre.
    Don't worry about the length of the new contract, as soon as they raise prices you can leave penalty free or renegotiate.
  • nicmalauren
    Options
    Just had my annual "chat" with BT customer retentions as my bill jumped from £31.49 to £47.49 this month, demonstrating that I was out of contract! They are also due to apply a price hike on Monday which would have seen my bill jump up a bit more to £49.99.

30mins later, I have signed up for another 18-month contract at £27.49 per month, avoiding Monday's price hike and getting a speed boost to 76Mbps. Includes BT Sport and weekend calls (neither of which I use anyway) and means that I've saved a whopping £405 over the contract period. Happy with that!
    "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."
  • Ray_h
    Options
    Although we are already with Bt we contacted them to try to take advantage of the £29.99 deal for new customers citing customer loyalty as a good reason for them to cut us a deal. They were having none of it stating the deal is strictly for new customers only. The account with Bt is in my wife's name, so she pointed out to them that her husband is not an account holder and she would cancel the account that is in her name and we would have a new account in my name. Lo and behold we got the new customer deal which not only saved us a load of money but we got infinity too. The only downside to this deal is that BT insists you have a new phone number, no problem as its ex-directory known by a limited number of people.
  • Stuey2307
    Options
    Just had my annual "chat" with BT customer retentions as my bill jumped from £31.49 to £47.49 this month, demonstrating that I was out of contract! They are also due to apply a price hike on Monday which would have seen my bill jump up a bit more to £49.99.

30mins later, I have signed up for another 18-month contract at £27.49 per month, avoiding Monday's price hike and getting a speed boost to 76Mbps. Includes BT Sport and weekend calls (neither of which I use anyway) and means that I've saved a whopping £405 over the contract period. Happy with that!

This sounds great. I'm in exactly the same boat. It'll be going from £29.99 to £49.99 (in the next month). May I ask, what was your tactic? Shall I tell them I've found it cheaper elseware and threaten to leave and say I'll stay if they offer me the same price for the next 18 months? Please share your secret! Thanks so much
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback