* Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• mrsinvisible
    mrsinvisible Posts: 1,310 Forumite
    Options
    Gosh, thank you all for the lovely birthday wishes. l had a nice day with DGN and visitors. Sorry l haven't been on much recently, hope to be able to tell you why soon. Today l am taking another friend for their face to face PIP appointment, and this evening l am helping DGS auntie to write a business plan. l have never done one before so l will have to research it on yootoob or somewhere. You all seem very busy with Christmas, lovely gift ideas, never thought of a 'date night' type hamper, but what a good idea for DNs and spouses. Will deffo use that.
    school run time, back soon.
  • princesskitty29
    Options
    Peppa ha that’s just the way it goes with New Year’s resolutions isn’t it? DH and I like to sit down on New Year ’s Eve and make new ones for the year ahead but I honestly don’t think I’ve even looked at the list this year! Every year I always say I’m going to make one new recipe a week (I love cooking and have hundreds of recipes stored up) and one thing from Pinterest a month. I haven’t kept track this year but I don’t think I’m doing too badly!

radioactivepig eek thanks for the Bargain Crazy heads up, I’m off to have a nose!

Stokiebecks wow that’s a lot of cards! Well done you, I hope it all goes really well.

mrsinvisible glad to hear you had a good birthday. I can’t believe how much you get done all the time! You are so important to so many people it’s lovely.

Well I’ve started reading a Christmas book; Mince Pies & Mistletoe at the Christmas Market by Heidi Swain. I’m sure it’s going to be a cheesy one but that’s what Christmas is all about isn’t it? :p I keep seeing loads more Christmas books in the shops and I’m having to really restrain myself as I have two more sitting in the cupboard waiting to be read!
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options

Well I’ve started reading a Christmas book; Mince Pies & Mistletoe at the Christmas Market by Heidi Swain. I’m sure it’s going to be a cheesy one but that’s what Christmas is all about isn’t it? :p I keep seeing loads more Christmas books in the shops and I’m having to really restrain myself as I have two more sitting in the cupboard waiting to be read!

I read Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe a few years ago by Jenny Colgan for an easy festive read - sounds like it might be in a similar vein if you haven't already read it?

Well, aside from cranberry sauce (OOS) and roast potatoes (one thing I always make myself), our Xmas dinner is now tucked up in our freezer ready for the big day thanks to Cook! (https://www.cookfood.net) :D I am so relieved after being ill last year and standing in a queue with carrots and parsnips while breaking out simultaneously in sweats and shivers, that I don't need to go out in Dec to do that and with 15% I still consider it sort of :money:. (Obv I'm not actually planning to be unwell again this year).

Realising I need to get a jiggle on writing cards (never actually got around to that) and need to finish off making something I started last year too :eek: Will aim to get both done by the end of Nov.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Matalan have 25% off Christmas Dining, Gifts and Decorations in store and online now - again I think its a bit naughty to do this when some people will have already bought things trying to be organised but seems common with stores these days.

https://www.matalan.co.uk/
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• mandco
    mandco Posts: 1,013 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Picked up some pressies in boots yesterday got dd the beauty hopper brush set that is 1/2 price this week and a couple of smaller gift sets on the 3 for 2 to hit the points spend total. Worked out better than I expected as had a 15% of xmas gifts when you buy 3 voucher but it took it off everything including the brush set and they also added the 350 point when you spend £35+ and double points I had on my account so ended up with nearly £17 in points back too :D

Picked on one of the ikea calendars so that is £10 worth of vouchers to spend in there later

Argos have 3 for 2 on selected toys

Do you think a more boy themed lego set would be ok for a girl or would you just get a general lego box?? I have been asked to get lego but I'm guessing that as that is what they have told everyone most people will buy the girly sets and there aren't that many that are within what I plan to spend anyway so rather then double up I'd like to get something different just not sure what to get?
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Mandco Wilko do their own version of lego called Blox. It is compatible with all the normal lego stuff too. Might be worth a look on the website as I have seen some nice sets on there for about £10-£15 (not sure what age you buying for).

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/toys/wilko-blox/wilko-blox/c/1246
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • princesskitty29
    Options
    kerri thanks for that suggestion, I have read that one but to be honest I don’t often remember what happens in them so could easily read it again! I bet you feel relieved having Christmas dinner in the freezer, great idea!

mandco wow great result with your Boots shop! I don’t see why a more boy themed lego set wouldn’t work for a girl, it’s lego after all. I used to love playing lego with my brother when I was little and I don’t think I noticed!

Wiggle’s school are doing a ‘Christmas shop’ – so they stock up on gifts for males and females and if you want to your child can go and choose a gift for someone in the comfort of school. I’ve signed Wiggle up to get presents for both sets of Grandparents. I think they spend around £1.50 on the gifts and charge the children £3, so I know we can do it cheaper on our own but it’s all funds for the school and I like the idea of him choosing something by himself without us there too. I’m intrigued to see what he chooses! That’ll be some more gifts off the list too. I’ve been noticing lots of Christmas ads in the last few days, I saw the Kevin the Carrot advert the other day and thought it was the Coca Cola advert to start with as I had the volume down – not sure what Coca Cola will make of that! :p
  • alja
    alja Posts: 838 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for the help regarding baby presents. I have since bought two little toys for OH's brother's baby girl (effectively my niece I guess..though we're not married haha)... We were round OH's mum's house and saw a wish list that the mother had put together and it had some bath toys on, so when I spotted some stacking pots and little boats by Carousel in Mr T (both for just £5.50) I picked those up. Will stick to clothes if I get her anything else though...

Reading about some of you writing cards has got me thinking... I should write these soon as we're off on holiday in under a month and will be away for a week or so.

Do you think we should deliver neighbours' cards in the first week of December, or the week before Christmas day when we're back? Decisions, decisions :)

We picked up some more pressies today too. OH has got some wine and chocolates for my parents and OH got his mum some lovely candles from the B00ts 3 for 2. I think I'll get her a candle (she loves them) and then make that the last thing I get her as I feel I'm going a little overboard with presents now... Trying to think of the best place to get a lovely but not too crazily expensive candle.
  • StokieBecks
    Options
    Alja do you and your partner not just buy presents between you for both families? Put both your names on all presents and split the cost?

Not sure about your cards. Do whatever you feel is best. We tend to deliver cards to neighbours quite late on in December but if you prefer to do it before your holiday so it is out of the way then do that.

Aww princesskitty hope Wiggle chooses something nice. Never heard of that idea but sounds good and nice when the little ones pick something themselves
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • radioactivepig
    Options
    kerri gt Thanks for the Matalan heads up, a relative loves those big traditional nutcracker fellas but they were £18, was able to get her one for just over £11 :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure