MPGS - What's it Like??

Options

Comments

• geord925
    geord925 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Well I hope he hears something soon. I have had no luck on the job front while Im waiting for the MPGS, Ive applied for Nissan in sunderland and about a million other jobs. Have even applied to G4S to do security during the olympics even though its 300 miles away from where I live.

Thinking about the lads in the careers office you mentioned, how I wish I was in there shoes again.
  • Richie128
    Options
    Hi all
    I have been waiting to get in the mpgs since feb and I went in the afco on Friday and got told that they are not taking anymore mpgs on at the mo. But I don't know if that means that people that r waiting will not get in or we will get in I got told to ring back this wens to find out what will happen??
  • MissKitty
    MissKitty Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    geord925 wrote: »
    Well I hope he hears something soon. I have had no luck on the job front while Im waiting for the MPGS, Ive applied for Nissan in sunderland and about a million other jobs. Have even applied to G4S to do security during the olympics even though its 300 miles away from where I live.

Thinking about the lads in the careers office you mentioned, how I wish I was in there shoes again.

Good luck with the job hunting geord925, I cant believe so many good people are in the same boat. I bet the MPGS has been inundated with applications and it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't taking anyone on at the moment.

Even though there are downsides of joining the army now, like going to Iraq and risking your life, it can be a very good career if you stick at it and work hard. All the training and benefits that come with it are something you wouldn't get on civvy street. I have heard so many people say they are desperate to leave, but the grass isn't green on the other side at the moment!!
  • MissKitty
    Options
    Richie128 wrote: »
    Hi all
    I have been waiting to get in the mpgs since feb and I went in the afco on Friday and got told that they are not taking anymore mpgs on at the mo. But I don't know if that means that people that r waiting will not get in or we will get in I got told to ring back this wens to find out what will happen??

Fingers crossed for you Ritchie128, let us all know what happens.

I think it's just a case of playing the waiting game for everyone at the moment.

My hubby has decided that if he is given too many more days off from his agency job he will look for something permanent, that's if he can find something. He's doing agency work so he can move on pretty quickly if he gets into the MPGS, but as it looks like he might not get in any time soon he's thinking ahead and will just have to move on and plan for the future.
  • Jud546
    Jud546 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

Fingers crossed that they are just suspending further applications whilst they catch up with the back-log. After all it's pretty pointless accepting infinite future applications when they still haven't got through hundreds of previous ones.

I'm not sure of figures, but I have heard that all the MGS (MoD Guard Service) are being done away with and will end up being replaced by MPGS-so the future is seeming pretty bright for MPGS-just wish Glasgow would pull it's finger out,lol).
  • Shaithis14
    Options
    Morning. Just a quick one from me. I am currently serving in the MPGS and have been in since 2005. Just to the people who say extras, barrier up, barrier down etc...yep, that is a small part of it.

As for the recruitment and the wait. As Jud456 stated, the MGS are slowly being withdrawn and replaced by MPGS. As for the 400 figure mentioned, it is now up into the 1000+ needed to get us up to speed.

The backlog does seem to be at Glasgows end, I understand the frustration on this but they really do have a lot on their plates (as my commander will testify everytime he rings them). Just keep plugging away at it, you will get sorted.

Most shifts are 12hr duties. Either days or nights. Most sites do a 4 on 4 off policy, which also gives you a great homelife too. Ideal after the previous service of tours and postings.

The starting pay is a bit poo, but when you compare it to what is out there it is good. Lets not forget that the housing is also there too. MQs and SLA.

The question about how quick in rank....Depends how good you are, how your SJAR is written and could sometimes depend on location. There has recently been rules placed which dictate how long you need to be in each rank before you are eligble for promotion to the next rank.

Also, the bit about the pension capping and ranks. If I am not mistaken that has been stopped. Pension abatement I think it is called. A colleague of mine was scuppered by this rule and has now been informed that he doesn't have to worry. So, he has taken his promtion. :)

Sorry this has dragged on a bit, just wanted to give a few bits of info from somebody who is in the MPGS. Hope it helps some people. Keep bugging ACIO and Glasgow, it is worth it in the end.
  • Jud546
    Jud546 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the info Shaithis14,

Excellent news if they've binned the pension abatement. It's just strange how some people get in within weeks and others wait an absolute age, but I guess no one can second guess how Glasgow goes about its business.
  • MissKitty
    edited 15 May 2012 at 8:30PM
    Options
    Shaithis14 wrote: »
    Morning. Just a quick one from me. I am currently serving in the MPGS and have been in since 2005. Just to the people who say extras, barrier up, barrier down etc...yep, that is a small part of it.

As for the recruitment and the wait. As Jud456 stated, the MGS are slowly being withdrawn and replaced by MPGS. As for the 400 figure mentioned, it is now up into the 1000+ needed to get us up to speed.

The backlog does seem to be at Glasgows end, I understand the frustration on this but they really do have a lot on their plates (as my commander will testify everytime he rings them). Just keep plugging away at it, you will get sorted.

Most shifts are 12hr duties. Either days or nights. Most sites do a 4 on 4 off policy, which also gives you a great homelife too. Ideal after the previous service of tours and postings.

The starting pay is a bit poo, but when you compare it to what is out there it is good. Lets not forget that the housing is also there too. MQs and SLA.

The question about how quick in rank....Depends how good you are, how your SJAR is written and could sometimes depend on location. There has recently been rules placed which dictate how long you need to be in each rank before you are eligble for promotion to the next rank.

Also, the bit about the pension capping and ranks. If I am not mistaken that has been stopped. Pension abatement I think it is called. A colleague of mine was scuppered by this rule and has now been informed that he doesn't have to worry. So, he has taken his promtion. :)

Sorry this has dragged on a bit, just wanted to give a few bits of info from somebody who is in the MPGS. Hope it helps some people. Keep bugging ACIO and Glasgow, it is worth it in the end.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post on our MPGS forum, Shaithis14.

My hubby and I have just read through your post and you gave us and others on here alot of good information and hope. It's always good to hear from someone who is in the post already.

The news about the pension abatement is good, there is no incentive to get promoted if your going to loose part of your pension you have worked so hard for.

Good luck everyone and keep us all updated if you hear anything.:)
  • Knowhow_2
    Options
    Hi

I am hoping to join MPGS. After reading various forums I wont expect to be recruited this year if at all. I have been out the Army 5.5 years and regret it.

All the best to those with applications in. I just need to get to my careers office to get the ball rolling.
  • Sparky29
    Sparky29 Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

That is rubbish. You are getting fobbed off. I work in recruiting and phoned Glasgow on Tuesday to discuss an applicant and they said there are still about 300 vacancies to be filled but they are wading through a mountain of applications.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure