ERUDIO student loans help

Options

Comments

• Bozzman
    Options
    fermi wrote: »
    In that case they are talking absolute and complete nonsense.
    That's what i thought but the chap on the phone was most insistent.

That's why I sent a lengthy note of the telephone conversation to the Erudio customer support email asking for confirmation of the advice and also requesting an explanation of why this was the case given it was not stated in the original documents (all of which are safely filed).

sent the email and about 5 follow up emails requesting a reply but nothing at all.........

thanks for your help.
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As is quickly becoming standard advice, make a complaint to the FOS and everybody else that you can think of. There's a big list somewhere.
  • Bozzman
    Options
    No nothing in writing sadly.

I called them on another matter (double checking the treatment of a benefit as an item of income or not) and he then went on to explain that i would not be offered a deferment in the last couple of years.

I was so surprised i asked him to explain himself carefully 3 times so i could be fully sure i heard correctly. I am an accountant and so not afraid to discuss financial matters over the phone. It was his level of confidence in what he was telling me that left me bamboozled and seeking written clarification.

Thanks for replying,
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    edited 3 February 2015 at 2:09PM
    Options
    Afraid that this sort of thing is not that unusual the Erudio/Capita staff..

They are not averse to telling you some utterly outrageous lies over then phone.

Just to be 100% clear. If you are not in arrears then there is no legal basis in the agreement terms or law that allow them to do what you have described.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Jonez
    Jonez Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    Bozzman wrote: »

I called them on another matter (double checking the treatment of a benefit as an item of income or not) and he then went on to explain that i would not be offered a deferment in the last couple of years.

I was so surprised i asked him to explain himself carefully 3 times so i could be fully sure i heard correctly. I am an accountant and so not afraid to discuss financial matters over the phone. It was his level of confidence in what he was telling me that left me bamboozled and seeking written clarification.

Thanks for replying,

They're talking total ballcocks - I was deferred ok and my deferment does not expire until after I am due to have the loans written-off under the age rule. I'm not surprised that they won't put this in writing.
  • RoaringTwenties
    Options

Bozzman, have I misunderstood or did Erudio actually tell you that you would not be able to defer in the last two years before you reached the write-off stage? Do they have the power to refuse deferment & enforce a repayment schedule over those last two years?
    Life is changing...but I'm still Money Saving!
  • RoaringTwenties
    Options
    Jonez wrote: »
    They're talking total ballcocks - I was deferred ok and my deferment does not expire until after I am due to have the loans written-off under the age rule. I'm not surprised that they won't put this in writing.

Cross-posted with you Jonez! So your loans are due to be written off before your current deferment period expires?
    Life is changing...but I'm still Money Saving!
  • Jonez
    Jonez Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    Cross-posted with you Jonez! So your loans are due to be written off before your current deferment period expires?

Yes - approximately a month before the deferment periods ends. I'm sure they'll try to delay / prevent the write-off, but I'll be taking no nonsense from them!
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Do they have the power to refuse deferment & enforce a repayment schedule over those last two years?

No. Absolutely not.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • BorderReiver14
    Options

Thanks for replying,

I have never had the pleasure of conversing with Erudio staff directly via phone, not because I am afraid to speak to them but because judging from what others have said, it seems a waste of time and prefer to have everything in writing for evidence reasons :)
    However, am I wrong in thinking that all calls are recorded and that you would be entitled to a copy of that recording?
    Paying for uni to get a job... just to get a job to pay for uni
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure