Repaying child benefit overpayment

Options

Comments

• John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    AdamBrunt wrote: »
    But there was a subsequent post saying HMRC no longer taker credit card payments - which I find difficult to believe.
    Why? If you owe X to the government they are not going to accept less than that to pay the credit card fees.

On your other point, it has always been the case that you are responsible for your own finances. The government gives a huge amount of help to some people via PAYE. It that never absolves you of your responsibility to know for yourself what you are due, and what you owe.
  • AdamBrunt
    AdamBrunt Posts: 369 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 March 2018 at 9:58AM
    Options
    John-K wrote: »
    Why? If you owe X to the government they are not going to accept less than that to pay the credit card fees.

So, they just pass the fees on to the person trying to pay them surely ? It is not exactly rocket science is it ? But then we are talking about a Tory government
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    Oh, no.

Not sure how he can are going to pay it in that case - if it leaves the only option of paying it back to them over 12 months.

I am also struggling to find any documentation about Child Benefit for years [ can't find any recent Child Benefit award notices either ] and neither I, nor my wife, can remember filling in the Child Benefit form for years but the payments do appear on the bank balance

Does your credit card offer 0% money transfer?
  • AdamBrunt
    Options
    Does your credit card offer 0% money transfer?

Yes - but where would you be transfering the money from. Balance transfer cards only allow transfers from other credit/store cards don't they ?
  • Darksparkle
    Options
    Yes - but where would you be transfering the money from. Balance transfer cards only allow transfers from other credit/store cards don't they ?

Balance transfers yes but money transfers go to your account.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Oh, no.

Not sure how he can are going to pay it in that case - if it leaves the only option of paying it back to them over 12 months.

I am also struggling to find any documentation about Child Benefit for years [ can't find any recent Child Benefit award notices either ] and neither I, nor my wife, can remember filling in the Child Benefit form for years but the payments do appear on the bank balance

You only fill in child benefit claim once, when the child is born.
  • Darksparkle
    Options
    So, they just pass the fees on to the person trying to pay them surely ? It is not exactly rocket science is it ? But then we are talking about a Tory government

As I said, they can no longer do that. That's why they no longer accept credit cards.
  • AdamBrunt
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    You only fill in child benefit claim once, when the child is born.

True.

But you are also meant to get a letter every year, afterwards, telling you how much you will be getting. We haven't had any of those for years.
  • Darksparkle
    Options
    True.

But you are also meant to get a letter every year, afterwards, telling you how much you will be getting. We haven't had any of those for years.

Are you? I've never had one and wouldn't see the need.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    True.

No, i've never had one. The only time i've ever had a letter from them was when one of my children reached 16, otherwise i never get one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure