PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Wizzbang wrote: »
    Yes, but sadly so many of them do still reek! I can totally understand where that perception comes from and why many of them try to shake it.
    I have a washing machine. :D
    I say to the assistant 'Don't bother folding it up, it'll be turned inside out and stuffed in the washing machine when I get home.'

Actually, I don't find that many of the charity shops I go in smell nasty at all.
    dolly84 wrote: »
    Do you think we have Mary Portas to blame for the whole 'fancy' charity shop thing. They need to re-find their niche, the whole idea was for them to be different to all the other shops but not try to be an antique shop either.

I am venturing out today on the hunt for curtains.
    dolly84 - you have hit the nail on the head. :T

Revamping for revamping's sake. :(
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wizzbang wrote: »
    They are largely fitted out with pallet crates on the walls to display shoes, crockery etc and fancy decor, or vintage style - old gilt mirrors, french dressers, high-end paper carrier bags etc.

Local Chest Heart and Stroke Booteek has an Aga, plastic grass on the floor, belfast sink in the cash desk, and fake garden sheds for displaying shoes.

And brown tie-on luggage labels.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Local Chest Heart and Stroke Booteek has an Aga, plastic grass on the floor, belfast sink in the cash desk, and fake garden sheds for displaying shoes.

:D Too funny! D'you think they've got a competion on to see how many cliches they could they could tick the boxes on with a single shop.

I have to say, in thirty-odd years of chazzering, I've never encountered a smelly one, and I'm accursed with a very acute sense of smell. Stinky junkshops, yes, but not chazzers.

Have made a donation on behalf of a friend today first thing, but didn't stop for any shopping, not feeling in the right mood for shopping.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,907 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 March 2018 at 2:19PM
    Options

:rotfl: Now that I would like to see!

The funniest thing I have seen used in a Booteek chazza display is a large canoe with a pointy end chopped off, tipped up on its now blunt end with the seats turned into shelves and used to display books.:o

And yep, I think Mary Portas has a lot to answer for!

I sometimes have a problem with chazzas being a bit too liberal with the air freshener to mask unpleasant odours. I struggle to breathe with the noxious chemicals.....
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Found the Buzz Lightyear hoodie for DS I'd seen in the hospice boutique window display a couple of weeks ago. Was on the rail today and was right size as expected. £2.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Didn't get any curtains yesterday but did get a lovely little lamp for DD's room, it is a distressed sort of cream and subtle gold finish, square base and candlestick design with a cream shade, the shade had beaded tassels on so we cut those off, it even came with the right size energy saving bulb - £5.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Pollycat
    Options

Lordy! Lordy!
    I feel I'm missing out. :rotfl:
    Mir! wrote: »
    The funniest thing I have seen used in a Booteek chazza display is a large canoe with a pointy end chopped off, tipped up on its now blunt end with the seats turned into shelves and used to display books.:o
    I think Miro's canoe quite possibly trumps Owain's aga. ;)
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I think Miro's canoe quite possibly trumps Owain's aga. ;)

I forgot to mention the stained glass windows inset into the partition walls and the books fixed with wrought-iron effect shelf brackets to the wall to make 'shelves'.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,907 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I forgot to mention the stained glass windows inset into the partition walls and the books fixed with wrought-iron effect shelf brackets to the wall to make 'shelves'.

Where is this wondrous place....might even be worth a day trip just to see it?!! :D
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    Where is this wondrous place....might even be worth a day trip just to see it?!! :D
    Absolutely!
    I'm up for it. :dance:
    A MSE charity shop outing. _party_
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills