PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    A quick explanation on two things. Boutique charity shops are how the charities themselves describe the outlets, generally in well-heeled towns. It was me who used the term that Oxfam use for their Elvet Bridge shop, in Durham. If you have been to Durham, you will know that the shops on Elvet Bridge are rather chi-chi. Many of the Durham students and residents are rather well-heeled. Then there's the rest of us, who just live near the place. It is gorgeous, though.

Second explanation. A pair of shoes scuffed on the top and sides, but with pristine soles, was almost certainly worn by a disabled person, who didn't do much, and possibly no, walking.
    One of my disabled pals has a few pairs of Hotters, and it was a Hotter pair of shoes that was thus described.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 2 March 2018 at 11:59AM
    Options
    A quick explanation on two things. Boutique charity shops are how the charities themselves describe the outlets, generally in well-heeled towns. It was me who used the term that Oxfam use for their Elvet Bridge shop, in Durham. If you have been to Durham, you will know that the shops on Elvet Bridge are rather chi-chi. Many of the Durham students and residents are rather well-heeled. Then there's the rest of us, who just live near the place. It is gorgeous, though.
    OK, thanks.

We definitely don't have any boutique charity shops in our ex-pit village. :rotfl:

Not been out of the house since Tuesday afternoon - still no buses past our house - so have cabin fever and am planning on checking in to the AA £1.00 shop later today.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Lucy5781 wrote: »
    The other town has about eight, all normal priced. The Dogs Trust are ridiculously overpriced though.
    So is the one in Rayleigh, Essex - but at the same time, it's not out of line with others in the town centre.

I popped in a while ago and was actually very impressed by it, really lovely staff and if I hadn't seen the sign outside I would have had no idea it was a chazzer. Except as I walked in, two women walked out and exclaimed what a nice shop it it, "it doesn't smell or anything".

Which made me realise just how ignorant people can be.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Hobsons_Choice
    Hobsons_Choice Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BHF in our town seems to have a lot of new stuff for sale. Mostly F&F (Tesco) but bnwt. I bought a nice pair of patterned trousers for £5.99 - price on F&F tag was £16 and they fit a treat, so happy with that.
    Normal people worry me.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,909 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    OK, thanks.

We definitely don't have any boutique charity shops in our ex-pit village. :rotfl:

Not been out of the house since Tuesday afternoon - still no buses past our house - so have cabin fever and am planning on checking in to the AA £1.00 shop later today.

My 'university/studenty' town has two boutique-ey style chazzas now....both hospice ones. One in particular used to be a real treasure trove - the 50p rail was a local legend and the whole concern was well supported and had a real community feel about it. Much of the support was lost when the place closed suddenly with no warning, was re-vamped and emerged all glass shelves, high end chrome fittings and fancy lighting with prices to match. I hear it's now struggling.

Also housebound, supposed to be going to Bedale via Harrogate tomorrow for a few days, goodness knows if I will make it :( If not will have to find me 'snow & ice overboot spiked gripper thingies', ice axe and snow poles and trek to the supermarket...supplies are running low!
  • Laredouter
    Laredouter Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    We have a Helen Rollason charity shop in Wickford and it is a real old fashioned sort of charity shop. Everything is packed onto the rails and it is really dark in there so it is hard to check for stains. Despite all this it is more expensive than the more boutiquey style charity shops in town, even though they put all of the best stuff on eBay. You have rails full of well worn clothing for the minimum of £4.99 :eek:
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Laredouter wrote: »
    We have a Helen Rollason charity shop in Wickford and it is a real old fashioned sort of charity shop.
    You'll find the one near the station in South Woodford far more reasonable, if you're ever in the area. The chap that runs it is a nice guy too.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Except as I walked in, two women walked out and exclaimed what a nice shop it it, "it doesn't smell or anything".

Which made me realise just how ignorant people can be.

Yes, but sadly so many of them do still reek! I can totally understand where that perception comes from and why many of them try to shake it. My own Mum refuses to charity shop for that very reason and whilst many of them are better these days, too many are not and so I'd be hard pressed to change her mind on that!

We have many, many boutique style ones where I live, in-fact it's harder to name a bog-standard one. But then again, most of our towns are totally over-run with them- one small town can have 12 charity shops because everything else has closed down. No wonder people complain!

The boutiquey ones tend to be the local hospices, but also the Sailor's Society has gone this way. Loads of them use the brown paper luggage tags, probably all except Oxfam and Sue Ryder. Even Oxfam is being revamped atm, so I expect it will be boutiquey when it re-opens in order to compete. They are largely fitted out with pallet crates on the walls to display shoes, crockery etc and fancy decor, or vintage style - old gilt mirrors, french dressers, high-end paper carrier bags etc. The only times I've ever come across what I'd call a real old fashioned charity shop, where everything is reasonably priced and just chucked into together is on holiday in some remote Devon town.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Do you think we have Mary Portas to blame for the whole 'fancy' charity shop thing. They need to re-find their niche, the whole idea was for them to be different to all the other shops but not try to be an antique shop either.

I am venturing out today on the hunt for curtains.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We've a godfather who just never ventured into "these places". Til we visited, & hauled him along. Now he's gradually accumulating books again & has even found a couple of T shirts. (Which, given he's 6'7" takes a lot of luck, or persistent cs visiting.)
    He's into apiary, and we've not only found reference books, we've even got him a working smoker <insert obvious joke as needed>.

We cherish (& support) a few of the old school cs shops - one was having a "fill a bag for a pound" day & while they did measure the bag, they were also encouraging folk to roll things up & pack it tightly. One young mum walked out with three bags, a huge grin & delighted staff - she'd got one not-yet-toddler & a sibling on board, so it looked like everyone was happy! The hospice shop is resolutely local, prices things to move & if you have to ask, they'll talk themselves down to pennies just to make sure you are convinced to take it away. Although they can also set a shrewd price & hold it, knowing the unusual attracts a premium.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure