PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    poppystar wrote: »
    Totally CBA with eating or anything :(

Oh for someone to come and take over cooking and prepare me something tempting. Just for once ...

:( Hope you feel a bit better soon.

Although not brilliant I know, do you not keep any 'instant' things to hand ? Although they are a bit yucky sometimes those instant soup in a cup can sometimes 'make a bit of difference' as its at least "a quick something without prep" apart from a bit of hot water.

I do try to keep a pack of these in as well as a few long life (as in exp:2020) tins of soup for just such occasions or when I'm completely out of motivation/energy etc, that and a frozen quick (ideally small) ready dinner of some kind.

Anyway as I say, rest up and I hope you feel better soon. :)

Must find time to post up my food related questions and other things too at some point. Today has been too hectic :o hmm.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    poppystar :sad: those down/ill days are just awful. I hope you are feeling better soon

money, lets just say that you got in touch with electrician because of the local hero/bt guarantee. They have (both) broken their side of the contract between you and them, this contract was effected when you got in touch via the local hero contact, there has been a breach of contract. Perhaps citizens advice could help. Don`t pay any money until the job is finished, unless of course you only asked him re the kitchen socket initially and he did that. That then would likely be the contract between you/bt and electrician. Maybe he stopped because the whole job turned out to be a bitty nightmare

lol, I am glad there are at least a few still eating properly, not me I might add
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I've been missing a while as my new job (correcting the written English of Japanese nationals) took over, but I've been six months in the job now, and have well and truly settled in to it.
    I love it, it's one of the best jobs I have ever had. The pay isn't brilliant, but it's near-zero stress, completely online, and involves no lesson planning, just corrections and tutoring in written form.

Today, I was perched on my kitchen stool thinking 'What do I fancy for lunch?' having had a blueberry Skyr yogurt from L!dl for breakfast.
    The answer was a very simple one, a tin of sardines mashed up with a glug of vinegar, spread on toast made from A!di's Danish bread. I love the Danish bread (39p a loaf) toasted, it's so light and crisp, and such a treat.
    A tasty lunch for pennies. My income has hugely improved with the new job, and with getting standard rate care awarded for PIP, Personal Independence Payment, but I can't shake the frugal mentality totally.
    I was so relieved to get the standard rate care. I had no care award for Disability Living Allowance, but my condition had deteriorated vastly, since my award of enhanced mobility.
    I 'should' have applied for care some time ago, but the advice is not to do so, as many people doing so had assessors lie through their teeth, and lost whatever DLA they had previously.
    The whole system is awful. I was lucky, my assessor didn't lie, and the decision maker chose to make a decision that was fair.
    However, I shouldn't have been 'lucky', I did prepare my own case very carefully, and presented robust reasons why I should have had care. I made it clear that I thought I was eligible for a care payment.
    I should have expected fair treatment, regardless, and I did get this, but I know of so many who have not had this.
    I can't help thinking that part of the reason is that I work, and have a mortgage that I pay myself. I suspect the picture may have been different had I been claiming Jobseekers, and in social or privately rented housing.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd forgotten I'd bought TWO pasties - so tea tonight was a hot pasty and 1/4 tin of baked beans.

If somebody else is cooking for you - it doesn't really have to be "nice", just "edible" is more than good enough .... because it's a rare/treat to eat something/anything you haven't had to find, buy, store, think about, get out, heat up/whatever yourself. Even beans on toast cooked by somebody else is an utter treat!
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    had to go into mossers today for a baby card, so had a look around and got myself a bargain, large piece of white fish no smaller than the other pieces but priced at £2.17 about half of what others were, got home and weighed it and weight on lable was half of what it actually was :D
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Glad wrote: »
    had to go into mossers today for a baby card, so had a look around and got myself a bargain, large piece of white fish no smaller than the other pieces but priced at £2.17 about half of what others were, got home and weighed it and weight on lable was half of what it actually was :D

Glad...completely off CFO topic but you need to go a-merging threads in DT. Someone's getting married apparently and the thread count for those who wish to express an opinion has certainly exceeded one ;)

Back on topic: I'm eating Bombay Mix and drinking wine..(I've had a shoite day full of bad news :( so both are a necessity not an indulgence!)
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    Glad - that was a good bargain you snagged, I miss being able to rake around in supermarkets but it's probably very good for my purse;)

mcculloch good to see you, I'm pleased things are working out for you:D, I really must in the New Year look into home-based work. I will be able to manage on my pension & PIP but it will be tight until 2020 when my mortgage payments should come down hugely. I'm in a fix-rate deal so while I do plan to use some of my lump sum to reduce it I won't see the benefit until the deal ends. However, mainly I need something that I can lift and lay that will keep my brain from stagnating.

Karcher - I can't have Bombay Mix in the house as it only seems to come in largeish packets and once I've started I can't stop:o. I got a taste for it when I lived in York in the 1980s a couple of doors down from an asian grocers. They sold it loose so you could buy a couple of ounces which came wrapped in a paper cone. It was lovely:).

Meals today are as planned and I've taken stewing steak out of the freezer to make the goulash soup tomorrow. I've also taken out some soup to defrost for lunch. My freezers are back to being crammed but it is with Christmas/New Years food stuffs so if I keep using things up there should be plenty of space for lovely leftovers come January. :D I've started the first filter of the bramble vodka, I'll let it drip out for a couple of days so I get every last bit from the fruit and then do the 2nd and hopefully final filter. After that it just needs some sugar syrup added and stuck back in a kilner for a weeks or so before bottling for gifts. I such a good crop of brambles this year that I was able to use loads so it should be nice and fruity:D
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    caron this bombay mix is rather disappointing. The best I had was many years ago from a health food shop. Along with their HM date and walnut slice :)
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    Glad...completely off CFO topic but you need to go a-merging threads in DT. Someone's getting married apparently and the thread count for those who wish to express an opinion has certainly exceeded one ;)

Back on topic: I'm eating Bombay Mix and drinking wine..(I've had a shoite day full of bad news :( so both are a necessity not an indulgence!)

been a-merging :D

sorry you've had a bad day :( sounds like a good tonic xx
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    caron this bombay mix is rather disappointing. The best I had was many years ago from a health food shop. Along with their HM date and walnut slice :)
    Och that's shame:mad: - mind I'd probably scoff it anyway. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure