Maternity pay ... need help

Options

Comments

• keighley.johanne
    keighley.johanne Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 December 2018 at 4:46PM
    Options
    I am very concerned with leaving my boss in the lurch. But I have always put other people’s business before myself.
    But I cannot live my life thinking and worrying about it anymore.

We have saved tirelessly to get £10k behind us. I was unfortunately made redundant without any warning and found a job to help see me through. I am earning just enough to pay the bills.

I have worked all my adult life and haven’t had the best of luck, being made redundant from all but 2 of 8 jobs.
    I want nothing more than to be a mother, I have money behind me but if I can’t grt maternity pay than why shouldn’t I?!
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Did I say that? :think:

Essentially, yes.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    I'm still on the fence with regards to maternity vs parental leave (and the role of business in supporting the personal choices of their employees)

Luckily its not up to you. :cool:
  • keighley.johanne
    Options
    Would I receive the same criticism if I wasn’t working and lived in a council house asking what benefits I was entiltled to because I wanted a child with someone I’ve been “seeing” for a matter of weeks?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Luckily its not up to you. :cool:
    Well that's debateable - I have the vote just like you do. But actually it's more of an academic discussion.

I fail to see why private enterprise should be compelled to support these decisions.

Equally I applaud companies that offer enhanced maternity packages - so this isn't an issue of supporting employees. Just that I dislike government interference in private enterprise.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    No I agree with you.

It does put employers off.

I'm still on the fence with regards to maternity vs parental leave (and the role of business in supporting the personal choices of their employees)

Like anything of this nature, it can be exploited. In a large company the impact is negligible, however in a small outfit the impact can be huge.

The dilemma here is: should employers foot the bill for people purposely getting their 'ducks in a row' to ensure the maximum financial reward possible? Exploiting the system to their advantage at the cost of their employers?

But because it's about giving birth, and it is assumed I am a man, I can't possibly have an opinion and have to watch as the lefties turn the debate personal.
  • System
    Options
    Essentially, yes.

Do you mean:

"you didn't, but I read that way, so yes"?
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Would I receive the same criticism if I wasn’t working and lived in a council house asking what benefits I was entiltled to because I wanted a child with someone I’ve been “seeing” for a matter of weeks?

Yes you would sadly, I hope you wouldn't judge a woman in that position though.

Misogynists will always exist sadly, but thankfully legislation gets in their way a bit more than it used to. Obviously there wouldn't be any debate if it were men who got pregnant!
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Like anything of this nature, it can be exploited. In a large company the impact is negligible, however in a small outfit the impact can be huge.

The dilemma here is: should employers foot the bill for people purposely getting their 'ducks in a row' to ensure the maximum financial reward possible? Exploiting the system to their advantage at the cost of their employers?

But because it's about giving birth, and it is assumed I am a man, I can't possibly have an opinion and have to watch as the lefties turn the debate personal.

Very well put.

And indeed I wholeheartedly agree.

I don't believe that state intervention should be the 'go to' when people find a situation unpalatable. Lots of places offer enhanced maternity pay, enhance sick leave, enhance annual leave - in a bid to attract talent.

There is a clear risk to reward ratio for both employees and employers.

But smaller businesses suffer from all these changes; and you can see that by walking down most any highstreet. national and multi-national companies (with all the tax implications that go along with that) are causing smaller businesses to close, because they cannot compete on a playing field regulated by the state.
  • System
    Options

A separate issue but for the sake of argument, yes, if you purposely and constructively timed your exit of employment to ensure you got the maximum benefits at the cost of the tax payer, I would criticize you even more than I am now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure