Maternity pay ... need help

Options

Comments

• Threebabes
    Threebabes Posts: 1,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’ve been with my partner for 15yrs in April. Unfortunately we haven’t been blessed with a child yet. We have saved £10k to help with loss of my earnings during maternity.

I have been told by my go that they won’t help us until we have been actively trying for 18months, which I need to inform him when we have officially started.

Thanks for input

Good luck honey X
  • keighley.johanne
    Options
    I am currently taking home £255 a week (I was on £345 before redundancy) I know smp is £145 a week this is why we saved for the past several yrs.

If I fall pregnant before I am entitled then I will have to deal with it, but I would like to know how long I have to be there in order to qualify. It would just make things that little less stressful.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have things changed a lot? Surely if you are not entitled to SMP via your employer but have been paying NI for the relevant period then you would get it from the DWP? Yes I know I am out of date on a lot of things but surely entitlement has increased on many things not decreased. After all it is almost 40 years since I moved across country over 100 miles when 7.5 months pregnant so I had to resign to join my then husband whose job had moved & I know I got SMP.

OP try the benefits board.
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/maternity-allowance#who-gets-maternity-allowance

I’ve had a bit of this dilemma as although I’ve worked for the employer for some time I’ve had to drop my hours. But as long as you can find

You may be able to get it for 39 weeks if:

you’re employed but you can’t claim Statutory Maternity Pay
    you’re self-employed and paying Class 2 National Insurance contributions*
    you’ve recently stopped working.
    In the 66 weeks before your baby’s due:

you must have been employed or self-employed for at least 26 weeks, and
    you must have earned £30 or more a week for at least 13 of those weeks – the weeks don’t have to be together.

You’ll get something. Yeah we all have to cut back, but hopefully it’s worth it
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • sazpot
    sazpot Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    Please look up Maternity Allowance, it is £145 a week for 9 months and given to those that do not qualify for SMP as long as they have paid enough in tax and NI in the previous X number of months. It’s quite straight forward to claim. All you would miss out on if you were even pregnant already is the enhance SMP rate based on your salary for the first few weeks.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Basic biology suggests that it takes two to make a baby - which is exactly what I was saying and you know it.

Men don't face pregnancy discrimination. They don't face losing their job, harassment, or nasty comments and judgement about claiming smp or having to get a new job when possibly pregnant. When men are having a baby they are free to change employers, apply for promotions and not lose their jobs. Women just want the same.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 December 2018 at 12:25AM
    Options
    I don’t have an issue with that per se.

I have an issue with expecting an employer to be compelled to accommodate personal choices.

Equality isn’t really possible I don’t think. Fairness is, on the broader scale. But people aren’t the same.
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And you think it doesn't happen...

I was actually quite shocked to be asked what plans I had (if any) for further children by a prospective employer and how that would be a definite no no.

What was more shocking was that the question was asked by a woman and not years ago but within the last 3 years. To be honest, I don't think she believed me when I said my child bearing days ended in October 2001 when I had a hysterectomy as she asked me if I was sure and could I guarantee it......
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SingleSue wrote: »
    I was actually quite shocked to be asked what plans I had (if any) for further children by a prospective employer and how that would be a definite no no.

What was more shocking was that the question was asked by a woman and not years ago but within the last 3 years. To be honest, I don't think she believed me when I said my child bearing days ended in October 2001 when I had a hysterectomy as she asked me if I was sure and could I guarantee it......
    Obviously you turned down the job
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Obviously you turned down the job

I didn't have to, they didn't much like the fact I have a crutch and wheelchair either (they were pretty shocking in their response to that too) despite being completely open in my application about my disability. I had got down to the final two so thought they were ok with it but it seems the actual boss of that location was far from ok with it.

Had it been offered, I probably would have turned it down though due to the hours being completely different to that advertised and a few other things, had it been as advertised, I would have found a way to get around their attitude in the short term to enhance my prospects elsewhere in the long term.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure