Round and round the overdraft....soon to be no more

Options

Comments

• louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    NSD record! I got 12 in November!

Got to buy petrol and a few other bits today so not a NSD today.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Louby :)

How are you?

I'm not sure if you already do but YNAB put out weekly podcasts. Only ever last 5 or so minutes and they tend to give little tips, tricks and mantras on it - recomended. One of them sticks in my mind as very fitting for you. They said that starting a fresh budget is totally fine. Almost encouraged. Even the directors of YNAB do it on a yearly basis. Yeah, it's a bit of a pain but it can help just get your ducks in a row which is particularly helpful for a busy month ahead.

When I first started tackling my debt, I was told to get rid of the smallest debt first (I think it was our very own Martin Lewis who said it) because of the motivation it gives. I done that and as you said, the phycological effect it had on me was surprising. It was like, "oh, I only have 1 card to pay off now. If I've done one, then I can do another, easy".

Well done on making a new NSD record. Hopefully it can provide you the motivation to try and beat it in future months.
  • louby40
    Options
    Thanks Speky. My YNAB was out by about £300 and I just couldn't get it back, so although I've lost all my report stuff since July I think it's a small price to pay for having a good budget.

I don't listen to the podcasts but watch the whiteboard weds videos on Youtube and am a member of the YNAB fan page on Facebook.
  • louby40
    Options
    New month. Most DD have gone out and YNAB is reconciled - it's a miracle.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi Louby. Lovely to see how you are getting done- top job with the NSD's.
    I've been more slack with YNAB than usual too - maybe it's just that time of year. I started using it last December so one year now and things have definitely hugely improved with our budgeting. I think i am going to go back on all the training things again and try and digest the method again in the new year to get re-motivated and try and use it more properly - I tend to overspend in one area and just steal from other areas to sort it.

Are you feeling more ready for Crimbo now?
    X Ramble x
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Speky - good suggestion on the fresh YNAB start - I can see how that would make sense. Actually might do that to help get me re-energised.
    Like Louby says the downside is that you lose the history (but I guess you can go back and look at it, just in the old budget?) so it's not completely lost.
  • louby40
    Options
    Ramble, we've been Christmas shopping today and I got loads done. I'd got a number of vouchers from doing surveys so I've used them to pay for Christmas - plus I'd got quite a bit in my Paypal account (ebay seling), again I've used that to pay for some gifts. Christmas has been quite easy this year money wise.

We also went to Sainsburys and spent £9 on 6 bottles of wine and a bottle of Bacardi - again all bought with Nectar vouchers.

Now I need to start building my surveys up again!

YNAB is looking good - determined to stay on track with it now! I keep reconciling every day so I'm on top of it!
  • louby40
    Options
    Spent £18 in Tesco, £10 of that was on a bottle of Port that's a Christmas gift and the rest was on bits we couldn't get from Aldi. I'd got a 'spend £20 and ave £2 voucher' and they were all things we needed.

Tree is up and outside lights twinkling as I type Got lots of washing and ironing done, OH made a lovely lunch and we spent the afternoon catching up on TV we missed during the week.

2 weeks left of work - but it's a crazy time of year in school! So I shall be glad when the 16th arrives.

It's 7 days until child benefit goes in and 9 days till pay day - but that's 2 weeks early so I'm planning to move it into my savings account and then pay it to myself again closer to the end of December. I'm hoping that I'm given my 1% pay rise (backdated to Sept) in Decembers pay. the school Governors have to recommend it after all teachers have gone through their performance management/pay reviews. It won't be a lot but it's better than nothing. I know many schools can't afford to pay it.

I've a few more things to buy for Christmas - nothing major, mainly chocolates to top up smaller gifts.

Determined not to go overdrawn this month as it impacts on what debts I can pay off/save.

Monday again tomorrow......:(
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Well done on the small savings. To steal another SM's mantra, every little helps.
  • reality_check
    Options
    That is amazing with the surveys!! I wish I had the patience to do them, might start in the New Year reading how great you done out them as encouraged me.

Sounds like a productive weekend, your time off will be here before you know it! xx
    Starting debt £18,675.63 :eek:
    Current debt: £5,000 (16/05/18)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family