MSE News: Virgin to hit 1.6m mobile customers with 3.3% price rise

Options
Virgin Mobile is increasing the cost of pay-monthly contracts by 3.3%, plus the price of out-of-allowance calls and roaming costs from July - but some of those affected can leave penalty-free....
Read the full story:
'Virgin to hit 1.6m mobile customers with 3.3% price rise'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Katgrit
    Katgrit Posts: 555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am REALLY hacked off about this. Got my email yesterday telling me that my plan is changing from £6 a month to £12 a month. Never mind 3.3%, that s a whopping 100% increase, What stinks the most is that I only switched to this plan on 18th, and gave up a great deal for what I thought would be a better one. 11 days later and I'm worse off than any of my previous deals with Virgin. Just ridiculous. I'll be voting with my feet.

Grumble grumble grumble.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Katgrit wrote: »
    I am REALLY hacked off about this. Got my email yesterday telling me that my plan is changing from £6 a month to £12 a month. Never mind 3.3%, that s a whopping 100% increase, What stinks the most is that I only switched to this plan on 18th, and gave up a great deal for what I thought would be a better one. 11 days later and I'm worse off than any of my previous deals with Virgin. Just ridiculous. I'll be voting with my feet.

Grumble grumble grumble.

You might want to give them a call first as I suspect their systems have possibly messed up for some customers. If you're not satisfied with their answer you can always request your PAC while there.
  • Katgrit
    Options
    I ordered a SIM from Plusnet last night (uswitch exclusive of 2.5gb, 2000min, unlim texts for £7) and phoned Virgin just now. They confirmed the charge increased in the email letter. I've been with them a couple of years but as I changed contract recently I'm still within a 14 day cancellation period, meaning if I request a PAC they terminate my service immediately - he said as soon as the phone call ended I would lose service. I've got to wait until I'm out of the 14 days before I request my PAC if I want to switch to Plusnet seemlessly.

Or he said I could wait until July 3rd, (when the £12 new contract starts) and phone back to be put on one of the better deals they have available then. And no, they can't just switch me to one of those better deals on July 2nd, I have to wait till I'm on that contact before I request a change. Are they having a chuffin laugh? Whether the fella was talking complete carp I don't know, but I just can't be bothered anymore. Plusnet here I come!
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    If it was an upgrade there is no right to cancel within 14 days unless their own t&c are very generous. Should there be such a term in their t&c you wouldn't be able to leave using a PAC without being liable for the whole charges for the minimum contract term - whatever that may be.
  • Katgrit
    edited 31 May 2018 at 12:13PM
    Options
    If it was an upgrade there is no right to cancel within 14 days unless their own t&c are very generous. Should there be such a term in their t&c you wouldn't be able to leave using a PAC without being liable for the whole charges for the minimum contract term - whatever that may be.

It waa definitely in their T&Cs, remember reading it in the email I got at the time, and the chap read out details on the phone. Yesterdays chap also advised me I was in a 14 day cancelation period, but I should point out it was a sim-only plsn upgrade, rather than a handset upgrade.....unsure if that would make a difference!

I can leave regardless as this is greater than RPI increase, and is cetainly to my detriment......their email 2 days ago advised this too.

Plusnet sim arrived in post this morning, its already activated so I'm back on the phone to Virgin as we speak, on hold waiting for my PAC.

EDITED.....Todays Customer Service lady almost laughed when I said yesterdays chap told me I'd be cut off as soon as I hung up the phone. As usual I'll be cut off from Virgin when my number becomes active on Pkusnet.
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Katgrit wrote: »
    I can leave regardless as this is greater than RPI increase, and is cetainly to my detriment......their email 2 days ago advised this too.

Plusnet sim arrived in post this morning, its already activated so I'm back on the phone to Virgin as we speak, on hold waiting for my PAC.

You certainly can as they have broken the terms of the contract.

Please let us know how you get on - and how easy/difficult it was dealing with them to get your PAC.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I guess they were trying to scare you.

I'm always slightly puzzelled, when I ring VM to cancel my sim only.
    They say wait until this date. (about 2 wks time) as if this would be a cheaper place in the monthly cycle to cancel ????
  • Katgrit
    Options
    darren72 wrote: »
    You certainly can as they have broken the terms of the contract.

Please let us know how you get on - and how easy/difficult it was dealing with them to get your PAC.

Thursday's VM Customer service lady cheerfully told me that she'd see what she could do and read out a variety of cheaper or better psckages she could offer me. I told her that Wednesday's man slso said he could do that but that the prices would STILL change on July 2nd, and then I'd have to see what new packages were on offer on 3rd (you know, the day after my legal right to leave had ended!). She wearily asked if there was anything they could do to keep me (sounded like she'd had a lot of these phone calls) and I said no and she put my on hold to get my PAC. I think in this time she might have also ate her dinner, gone home, put a load of washing on, redecorated the spare room and done a supermarket big shop, because she look BLOOMIN AGES!! Finally came back with my PAC and gave me different versions of "when you'll be cut off" varying from "as soon as you give plusnet your PAC" to "as soon as your number is ported over", none as ludicrous as Wed's man and his "as soon as you hang up this phone call".

Gave PAC to Plusnet Thur lunchtime, ported across by 2pm-ish Friday. Plusnet sent me a text just before I lost the ability to use VM, and again to confirm it was all done. Must say I'm very impressed so far. Mind you, once upon a time I felt the same way about Virgin. Sigh.
  • gld73
    gld73 Posts: 250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The last 2 years price increases from Virgin meant it was no longer one of the cheaper options for me - I'm not a heavy user, mainly texts and some calls, very little data. I've just changed to 1p Mobile in the last few days as a result of the latest Virgin increase kicking in next month.

The only hassle in the switch was the initial attempt to get my PAC from Virgin. The person at the foreign call centre seemed to have a script he was determined to stick to - e.g. despite me making clear I was leaving due to my rolling monthly contract fee increasing, he insisted on trying to sell me more expensive contracts. He then wouldn't give me PAC! I phoned back the next day ready to go through the same but then with the intention of asking for a supervisor .... but the person i got this time was more helpful, and did give me my PAC.

The 1p Mobile side of things went very smoothly. Fingers crossed the good service continues!
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The increase of Virgin Mobile's Access Charge for calling 084, 087, 09 and 118 numbers to 58p per minute, effective July 2018, will make them the most expensive provider - until one or more of EE, O2, Three or Vodafone leap frogs them to 60p per minute, or more, in the next few months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure