E.on Fix Online v20

Options
abiabc
abiabc Posts: 17 Forumite
[FONT=&quot]Hi Malc/Helena[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I am trying to sign up to Fix Online v20 from Energy Plan.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The language for smart meters has been softened in the information about the tariff - thanks to you guys for feeding back and this being done. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The language in the information says:-[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Free Smart Meter Installation[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We'll contact you to offer a free smart meter installation if eligible.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Nothing about having to agree to them or only staying on the tariff if they can't be fitted.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]However, in the terms and conditions when you get to the end it is no different to the compulsory smart meter tariffs. It says:-[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I understand that by choosing this tariff, I’m happy to be contacted about smart meters and have them fitted in my home. I’m also aware that I’ll stay on this tariff if E.ON can’t install them.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This is the same phrase as on all the compulsory tariffs. I don't mind being contacted - but I don't want to be forced to have them even if eligible.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This is from the terms and conditions on Fix Online v20. You don't see this until right at the end of signing up. I think it is probably a mistake that this has not been softened/changed also or I could be really cynical and view it as a trap. But I really don't want Smart Meters yet and can't sign up with this terminology. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Please can you chase it up with the powers that be. I really want to stay with E.on but may not be able to cope much longer with the EnergyPlan prices. I was on a really good fix until the beginning of this month.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Many thanks[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Abi[/FONT]

Comments

• Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    abiabc wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]Hi Malc/Helena[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I am trying to sign up to Fix Online v20 from Energy Plan.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The language for smart meters has been softened in the information about the tariff - thanks to you guys for feeding back and this being done. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The language in the information says:-[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Free Smart Meter Installation[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We'll contact you to offer a free smart meter installation if eligible.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Nothing about having to agree to them or only staying on the tariff if they can't be fitted.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]However, in the terms and conditions when you get to the end it is no different to the compulsory smart meter tariffs. It says:-[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I understand that by choosing this tariff, I’m happy to be contacted about smart meters and have them fitted in my home. I’m also aware that I’ll stay on this tariff if E.ON can’t install them.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This is the same phrase as on all the compulsory tariffs. I don't mind being contacted - but I don't want to be forced to have them even if eligible.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This is from the terms and conditions on Fix Online v20. You don't see this until right at the end of signing up. I think it is probably a mistake that this has not been softened/changed also or I could be really cynical and view it as a trap. But I really don't want Smart Meters yet and can't sign up with this terminology. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Please can you chase it up with the powers that be. I really want to stay with E.on but may not be able to cope much longer with the EnergyPlan prices. I was on a really good fix until the beginning of this month.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Many thanks[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Abi[/FONT]

Hello Abi and thanks for flagging this up. Happy to feed back to the relevant people.

Thought it might help if I confirm the situation with our smart tariffs.

[FONT=&quot]Smart meters aren't compulsory and we can't insist on installing them where a customer refuses.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Customers asking to go on one of the Fixed Tariffs currently available on our website agree to consider smart meters. Where they switch through our website or a Price Comparison site, we'll be in touch at a later date provided the property is eligible for smart meters. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If eligible and the customer declines our offer, the advisor will discuss the options available at that point including transferring to a different tariff. Our products are changing all the time and it depends on what's available at this point as to the actions taken. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Customers looking to switch tariffs over the phone will sometimes be asked to book smart meter appointments at the same time. This is something we're trialling to see if we can handle all aspects in one call without the need to contact customers again. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Where customers are okay with having the meters or agree to consider them within the near future, we'll switch them to the tariff and note the account to discuss again at a later date. Where they tell us categorically, no, they will not have smart meters, we need to look at quoting against another tariff.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thanks again for the heads up Abi.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Malc[/FONT]
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • abiabc
    Options
    Thanks Malc but this hasn't completely answered my query/complaint. I understand what you are saying but ...

The problem is that the details/review for Fix Online V20 on the website don't actually match up with the terms and conditions.

The details/review are less strict than the other smart tariffs you offer - ie there is no mention of only staying on the tariff if smart meters can't be fitted. It just says you will be contacted to be offered. But the terms and conditions for V20 say the same as all the other smart tariffs - that you agree to have them fitted unless they can't be. So it's either a mistake or misleading.

I hope you get what I am saying.

Thanks
    Abi
  • oliverbrown
    oliverbrown Posts: 522 Forumite
    Options
    I was directed here from my own thread.

The terms and conditions have changed and they no longer state that one must agree to having a smart meter installed to stay on the tariff.

Much as you are trying to help Malc, words like "the advisor will discuss the options available at that point" sounds very evasive to me. This isn't a direct criticism of you, since obviously you are relaying words from other people who are trying to be ambiguous.

It looks to me as if you are trying to keep that condition in the package without explicitly stating as such in the T&C, because it might be considered unacceptable by Ofgem in the context of smart meters being optional.

This is not good enough from E.on and is damaging my opinion of your company. Stop mincing words and playing around with the T&C and tell us that we can stay on the Fix Online package if we decline a smart meter when offered.
  • oliverbrown
    Options
    But the terms and conditions for V20 say the same as all the other smart tariffs - that you agree to have them fitted unless they can't be. So it's either a mistake or misleading.

I think I've read the latest Fix Online T&C pretty thoroughly and I can't see anything about agreeing to have a smart meter installed: https://www.eonenergy.com/-/media/downloads/residential/tariffs/2019/q1/fix-online-revised.pdf?download=true

If I'm missing something I hope someone will correct me.
  • abiabc
    Options
    Hi Oliver

I totally agree with you.

But your link takes you to some very general terms and conditions, not the ones at the end of signing up to Fix Online V20. In order to see these go through the switch procedure on the E.on website past your chosen date change, contact preferences, up to where the terms and conditions for the tariff appear. Obviously don't tick that you agree or continue after this. At this point you can see a clause that says:-

I understand that by choosing this tariff, I’m happy to be contacted about smart meters and have them fitted in my home. I’m also aware that I’ll stay on this tariff if E.ON can’t install them.

This is exactly the same clause you see on the other stricter "smart" tariffs despite smart meters appearing to be optional on the tariff description earlier. This is the clause which is either a mistake or a trap - smart meters or not are no longer optional to the customer at this point - just to E.on.

I don't think Malc is trying to be evasive, I think the terms of this tariff are misleading and I don't think he realises the differences in wording at the beginning to the end.
  • oliverbrown
    Options
    This is exactly the same clause you see on the other stricter "smart" tariffs despite smart meters appearing to be optional on the tariff description earlier. This is the clause which is either a mistake or a trap - smart meters or not are no longer optional to the customer at this point - just to E.on.

Ah so you're saying there are T&C sneaked in during the order process which are not displayed in the T&C document I posted? This just gets worse!

The T&C I posted should be the T&C in their entirety, it's unacceptable in my opinion to sneak an extra condition in and hold it to you later on.
    I don't think Malc is trying to be evasive, I think the terms of this tariff are misleading and I don't think he realises the differences in wording at the beginning to the end.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh, but I believe my theory to be correct. They want to enforce the condition of smart meter agreement, but are on shaky ground with Ofgem in doing so, hence the ambiguity. We'll probably get more ambiguity in the reply I'm afraid.
  • oliverbrown
    Options
    Incidentally I think "the advisor will discuss the options available at that point" is coded speak for "we will verbally tell you you can't stay on the package but we dare not put anything in writing because we'll get into trouble with the regulator".

If I get such a call I will direct them to the T&C and ask them to point out where I agreed to having a smart meter. If they still force me off Fix Online I'd seriously consider complaint + Ombudsman.
  • abiabc
    Options
    Thanks Malc but this hasn't completely answered my comment. I understand what you are saying but ...

The problem is that the "details/review" at the start of the order process for Fix Online V20 on the website don't actually match up with the terms and conditions when you sign up at the end of the order process.

The details/review are less strict than the other smart tariffs you offer - ie there is no mention of only staying on the tariff if smart meters can't be fitted. It just says you will be contacted to be offered. But the terms and conditions at the end for V20 say the same as all the other smart tariffs - that you agree to have them fitted unless they can't be. So it's either a mistake or misleading.

I hope you get what I am saying.

Thanks
    Abi
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is not good enough from E.on and is damaging my opinion of your company. Stop mincing words and playing around with the T&C and tell us that we can stay on the Fix Online package if we decline a smart meter when offered.

Or maybe you can just accept the smart meter like a sensible person.

I have only heard of one good reason for someone to refuse a smart meter and it's a bit of a dodgy reason anyway. Most often people have unfounded misconceptions about smart meters and waste everyone's time by constantly refusing to have one.
  • oliverbrown
    Options
    Takmon wrote: »
    Or maybe you can just accept the smart meter like a sensible person.
    The right to refuse a smart meter is very clear, we don't need to justify it to you or anyone else.

Still waiting for the E.on rep to reply, comments from anyone else isn't constructive here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure