Options

Comments

• PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 16 June 2019 at 4:27PM
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    So, if my understanding is correct, Eon do discriminate between those they think they can bully into having a "smart" meter which is smart only as long as one retains Eon as provider, and those who refuse to have one inflicted upon them.

Thanks, one and all; I no longer consider Eon an option as I will not be dictated to by a supplier.

If this is from my post, sorry if I have thrown a spanner in the works. I will state that my smart meters are two years old and were installed by Scottish Power.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Switch to Fix Online Exclusive V4, through the energy club, seems to be going smoothly. Received confirmation email two days ago and written confirmation in the post today.

There has been some confusion over smart meter installation, but this is now sorted. According to 11.1 of their T&Cs "With this tairff you have agredd to be contacted during the tariff term for the instalation of a smart meter. You are still eligible for this tariff if you currently have a smart meter or your property is currently ineligible for a smart meter"

I contacted online chat today to clarlify that as I already have smart meters, that I would not need to have new ones fitted. My concern was that as I was only moving my electricty over, if they fitted a new electricity smart meter, then I would not have access to my gas daily usage, thus messing up my daily spreadsheet. Online chat said that I would have to have a new smart meter fitted. When I explained the reasons, he suggested I call the SMART team.

Took around 15 minutes to get through to the smart team, but the lady was lovely. Explained that I would not need to have a smart meter fitted, as I already have them.

She then noticed I had declared a disability and had registered on the priority services. She asked if she could have more details of this, to ensure that I get the right level of support. Explained that I could also have a few things like password set up, if any one from EON calls, or a meter reader. I took up this offer.

She also asked if I would like my meter read every quarter. I declined this, as my IHD gives me my meter readings.

Nothing was too much for this lady and she is an asset to EON.
    If this is from my post, sorry if I have thrown a spanner in the works. I will state that my smart meters are two years old and were installed by Scottish Power.

Hello PennineAcute and thanks for joining us.

I'm glad our advisor looked after you and was able to explain about the smart meters.

I don't know if she told you but, later this year, we'll begin to upgrade many SMETS1 meters so they can be managed in the same way as SMETS2. This includes smart meters we didn't install and now supply. Once upgraded, any smart features that might've been lost will be restored. This is done remotely and we won't need to visit your home.

I'm sorry for the confusion over the Fix Online Exclusive T&Cs concerning smart meters. I've commented quite a bit about this on another thread at the following link.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6005317

The part you quote is spot on. Customers agree only to be contacted about smart meters.

Thanks again for joining us PennineAcute.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Gollina
    Options
    Tsb29 wrote: »
    I've switched a few times now and the easiest supplier I found has been Octopus Energy, with the cheapest tarrifs for my area.
    Give them a try and if you sign up with my link you will get a £50 free credit!
    share.octopus.energy/wise-prawn-499

Can I ask what area you are in please?

I just checked the West Midlands area, and based on an average user, there were well over 50 cheaper tariffs from various suppliers that all beat the cheapest offering from Octopus.

£50 wouldn't even come close to closing the gap, I'm afraid.
  • poshphil
    poshphil Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    poshphil wrote: »
    Moved into a new build home (former showhouse so had been built and receiving supply for a few months) on 20th December 2018.

Once settled in, looked at comparing tariffs to discover an issue with the gas meter not being registered correctly which meant we could not switch the gas.

I rang Eon on 24th January 2019 to discuss, they seemed to know what the issue was but that it would take around 6 weeks to resolve.

I followed this up on 16th April 2019 as the issue still seemed to be there, to be told that whatever needed doing was showing as pending, but they would make sure it was processed but this would take another 4-6 weeks.

On 17th April 2019 I sent a complaint via the contact forms to establish the following:
    1. What the issue was.
    2. Why it wasn't resolved following my first phone call in January.
    3. When it will be resolved by.

I got contacted on the 18th April 2019 by someone in the New Connections Team being told I have not provided Meter Serial Numbers (these were provided in my initial phone call), Full Postal Address (Which Eon has, as it is in our online account), My Name (again, this is in my account and was also at the bottom of my complaint), Legal Completion Date & Handover Read. I am not sure why, if this information was needed and hadn't been made available, I was not contacted at any point to request this.

All information requested was provided, again, on 18th April, but since then I have heard nothing despite a further email chasing up earlier this week. I still do not know what the issue is, or when it will be resolved. I don't even know whether my complaint is actually being treated as such, the correspondence after simply referred to informing them of a handover.

Overall, not very happy with this as we have been left unable to switch tariffs to a more competitive dual fuel one for several months now.

I received a call in regards to my complaint which I was unable to take shortly after I chased E.On up in early May, but was advised via the customer support on twitter that I would be written to shortly if I did not call back. I received no written communication. On following up in June I was told the complaints manager was due to call me the next day, this also didn't happen, and I have had no correspondence to date.

It is now 9 weeks since my initial complaint with no response so I have now escalated this to the energy ombudsman.

I honestly don't think my questions were particularly challenging to answer so I am very disappointed with the level of customer service received (or not received, to be more precise).
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I really do not understand why some posters on here seem almost evangelical in their praise of Eon. Many others appear to have very different experiences.

I have recently been looking closely into switching providers as my very competitive, fixed tariff ends in less than six weeks and have found, unusually, I have literally half of the Big 6 to choose from, including Eon. I don't think this has ever happened before.

Eon, for me, are nowhere purely because they patently discriminate between those willing to have a so-called smart meter and those who will not: I dislike being coerced into anything on principle.

Whatever anyone else thinks of smart meters, however dumb most of them are, I am of the school which believes they are nothing more than an energy-rationing device and an invasion of privacy. They may be great for those who either cannot or will not read their meters on a regular basis but I prefer to remain in control, certainly while there are plenty of other providers out there, including the Big 6, who take a more considered approach towards their customers on this issue.

Malc and Helena, imho, give by far the best customer service in the industry on this particular forum but that is hardly a reason to switch to Eon. Sorry, guys.
  • Smodlet
    Options
    Gollina wrote: »
    Can I ask what area you are in please?

I just checked the West Midlands area, and based on an average user, there were well over 50 cheaper tariffs from various suppliers that all beat the cheapest offering from Octopus.

£50 wouldn't even come close to closing the gap, I'm afraid.

It really is a regional thing, I believe, which accounts for why my current provider always seems to leave providing a competitive tariff for me until the last minute before mine expires. This year I have become tired of waiting for them to do so and have applied to switch to one of their major competitors; it remains to be seen whose loss it really is as I do not rate the customer service of either. :eek:
  • binao
    binao Posts: 666 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 27 June 2019 at 7:41PM
    Options
    Switch to Fix Online Exclusive V4, through the energy club, seems to be going smoothly. Received confirmation email two days ago and written confirmation in the post today.

There has been some confusion over smart meter installation, but this is now sorted. According to 11.1 of their T&Cs "With this tairff you have agredd to be contacted during the tariff term for the instalation of a smart meter. You are still eligible for this tariff if you currently have a smart meter or your property is currently ineligible for a smart meter"

I contacted online chat today to clarlify that as I already have smart meters, that I would not need to have new ones fitted. My concern was that as I was only moving my electricty over, if they fitted a new electricity smart meter, then I would not have access to my gas daily usage, thus messing up my daily spreadsheet. Online chat said that I would have to have a new smart meter fitted. When I explained the reasons, he suggested I call the SMART team.

Took around 15 minutes to get through to the smart team, but the lady was lovely. Explained that I would not need to have a smart meter fitted, as I already have them.

She then noticed I had declared a disability and had registered on the priority services. She asked if she could have more details of this, to ensure that I get the right level of support. Explained that I could also have a few things like password set up, if any one from EON calls, or a meter reader. I took up this offer.

She also asked if I would like my meter read every quarter. I declined this, as my IHD gives me my meter readings.

Nothing was too much for this lady and she is an asset to EON.

The above poster was asked if he would like his meter read every quarter.

Is this quarterly meter reading service only for EON customers who qualify.

Thank you for all replies.
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options
    So, if my understanding is correct, Eon do discriminate between those they think they can bully into having a "smart" meter which is smart only as long as one retains Eon as provider, and those who refuse to have one inflicted upon them.

Thanks, one and all; I no longer consider Eon an option as I will not be dictated to by a supplier.
    I really do not understand why some posters on here seem almost evangelical in their praise of Eon. Many others appear to have very different experiences.

I have recently been looking closely into switching providers as my very competitive, fixed tariff ends in less than six weeks and have found, unusually, I have literally half of the Big 6 to choose from, including Eon. I don't think this has ever happened before.

Eon, for me, are nowhere purely because they patently discriminate between those willing to have a so-called smart meter and those who will not: I dislike being coerced into anything on principle.

Whatever anyone else thinks of smart meters, however dumb most of them are, I am of the school which believes they are nothing more than an energy-rationing device and an invasion of privacy. They may be great for those who either cannot or will not read their meters on a regular basis but I prefer to remain in control, certainly while there are plenty of other providers out there, including the Big 6, who take a more considered approach towards their customers on this issue.

Malc and Helena, imho, give by far the best customer service in the industry on this particular forum but that is hardly a reason to switch to Eon. Sorry, guys.
    It really is a regional thing, I believe, which accounts for why my current provider always seems to leave providing a competitive tariff for me until the last minute before mine expires. This year I have become tired of waiting for them to do so and have applied to switch to one of their major competitors; it remains to be seen whose loss it really is as I do not rate the customer service of either. :eek:

Hello Smodlet and sorry to lose you.

Thank you for your kind words. They're very much appreciated by both Helena and myself.

Totally understand where you're coming from on smart meters. We've been feeding back Forum comments about this particular issue and there has been a change in the wording on the Fixed Tariffs currently available through our website. Customers now only need to agree to be contacted about smart meters and can refuse these offers to have them installed.

Thanks again for your comments about our Forum contributions Smodlet.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Smodlet
    Options
    Hello Smodlet and sorry to lose you.

Thank you for your kind words. They're very much appreciated by both Helena and myself.

Totally understand where you're coming from on smart meters. We've been feeding back Forum comments about this particular issue and there has been a change in the wording on the Fixed Tariffs currently available through our website. Customers now only need to agree to be contacted about smart meters and can refuse these offers to have them installed.

Thanks again for your comments about our Forum contributions Smodlet.

Malc

Thank you, Malc. I have just checked the CEC and note the Eon tariff I might have considered, which was tagged with the caveat that a smart meter was compulsory, has now disappeared. Perhaps it has been withdrawn or perhaps it demonstrates the limited choices available to those delinquent in complying with energy companies' edicts about having the damned things.

Eon are certainly not alone in this; SSE do the exact same thing but the CEC has yet to update their tariff to this effect. I know because I called SSE to check this with a view to switching to them on Saturday and informed MSE the same day; I even received a reply on Sunday evening, which was impressive. I wonder if they will change their tune too...
    Options
    poshphil wrote: »
    I received a call in regards to my complaint which I was unable to take shortly after I chased E.On up in early May, but was advised via the customer support on twitter that I would be written to shortly if I did not call back. I received no written communication. On following up in June I was told the complaints manager was due to call me the next day, this also didn't happen, and I have had no correspondence to date.

It is now 9 weeks since my initial complaint with no response so I have now escalated this to the energy ombudsman.

I honestly don't think my questions were particularly challenging to answer so I am very disappointed with the level of customer service received (or not received, to be more precise).

Hello poshphil and I'm sorry we've not been able to resolve this for you.

As this has now gone to the Energy Ombudsman, we need to wait for their decision. They'll report back to both you and us. Whilst their findings are binding on us, they're not on you leaving you free to seek further advice and assistance if necessary.

If you accept their verdict, we must implement their instructions in full within 28 days of the decision being made.

Malc
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback