PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    What I want to know is how GQ prepared and cooked her kill... recipe please!
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Feeling rough today, my cold seemed to settle on my chest like last time, and I was up at 2.30 am struggling and coughing away and ended up curled up with a pillow on the couch with various quilts and blankets so I could sleep sat up as best I could. Decided not to leave things like I did last time, as I really don't fancy another trip in the ambulance lol.

Phoned GP first thing this morning and they said given my history they will get a prescription done for me straight away rather than having to come in, in the cold.

DS has been ill since weekend and is still in bed now, but the 2 girls are all in school/nursery and its all the various Christmas parties today.

So sat her on my own enjoying some peace, dosed up and wrapped up in a blanket. Going to do some wrapping later whilst I can.

On a good note whilst finding the Christmas labels I also found some Christmas napkins I bought reduced last year, yay forgot I had them lol.

Just watching some "crackanory" I recorded off Dave. I like things that are a bit quirky so an adult version of jackanory with quite dark humour is just up my street :).

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• Poor you ALI, just when at the busiest time but you're sensible to get it sorted as soon as possible. Well done the GP for being so co-operative and using common sense rather than drag you out in the cold. I hope you begin to feel better really quickly with the anti biotics, Hugs, Lyn xxx.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 December 2013 at 11:36AM
    Options
    ALIBOBSY wrote: »
    Feeling rough today, my cold seemed to settle on my chest like last time, and I was up at 2.30 am struggling and coughing away and ended up curled up with a pillow on the couch with various quilts and blankets so I could sleep sat up as best I could. Decided not to leave things like I did last time, as I really don't fancy another trip in the ambulance lol.

Phoned GP first thing this morning and they said given my history they will get a prescription done for me straight away rather than having to come in, in the cold.

DS has been ill since weekend and is still in bed now, but the 2 girls are all in school/nursery and its all the various Christmas parties today.

So sat her on my own enjoying some peace, dosed up and wrapped up in a blanket. Going to do some wrapping later whilst I can.

On a good note whilst finding the Christmas labels I also found some Christmas napkins I bought reduced last year, yay forgot I had them lol.

Just watching some "crackanory" I recorded off Dave. I like things that are a bit quirky so an adult version of jackanory with quite dark humour is just up my street :).

Ali x

I've been ill too for the last fortnight. I find the way to have a (relatively) undisturbed night, is to have an hour in a hot bath immediately before hopping into bed.

Covonia Expectorant is very good at stopping the cough during the day. Mix it with a little water that is as hot as you can bear, and sip it slowly.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,730 Forumite
    edited 18 December 2013 at 12:28PM
    Options
    Just a thought, maybe it's better to have a lightweight construction so that you will be less likely to be seriously injured/killed by flying debris or a collapsing structure? A bit like a lot of places in earthquake zones stick to timber-framed houses.
    We're very fortunate in the UK to rarely have such extremes of weather. It would be misguided to think this situation will persist forever, it seems pretty likely that climate change will cause increased instability and variability over the next few decades, I think we will have time to get used to it and adapt accordingly.

I am in two minds on this; I note from the big tornado last year in the US that all the timber buildings were blown away; ditto with the Philipines typhoon recently and the Boxing Day or Japanese tsumani or the Australian flash floods.

What was left standing were a few brick/block work constructions like schools, mosques and churches. In a couple of cases public building in the US had solid cores which acted as tornado shelters. However in all locations some families with solid constructions lost lives when heavy roof structures fell on them. And in other cases the foundations were slight and the entire floor raft was heaved inland regardless of what was on top.

On the other hand in earthquake prone areas, flexible and light weight construction seems to save lives.

Based on what I have seen, I simply would not want to live within 2-3 km of the sea in part of the world where storm surges, typhoons and tsunamis were a risk, unless I was sufficiently far up a hill that was not going to be undermined by incoming water. And if I was in a typhoon/tornado risk area, I would want good foundations, a solid core structure and a light weight roof (well tied down to the main structure).

Now read that back and think about the major population centres in the UK?
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • RAS
    edited 18 December 2013 at 12:27PM
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »
    I've been ill too for the last fortnight. I find the way to have a (relatively) undisturbed night, is to have an hour in a hot bath immediately before hopping into bed.

Covonia Expectorant is very good at stopping the cough during the day. Mix it with a little water that is as hot as you can bear, and sip it slowly.

I over-react to most expectorants (like become as floppy as a rag doll). The thing that works for me is elderberry extract. Unfortunately the commercial versions cost quite a lot but I find they work for 2-3 hours.
  • mardatha
    Options
    Agree with the elderberry stuff Ras , very good. Also an infusion of thyme and honey, sipped often, will work.
    Did you all see the shipping forecast I posted on the toughies thread?? :D:D

Shannon, issued on Wednesday 18 December 2013 at 0359 UTC
    Southerly severe gale force 9 now decreased gale force 8, veering westerly and increasing hurricane force 12 soon

Rockall, issued on Wednesday 18 December 2013 at 0359 UTC
    Southerly storm force 10 now decreased severe gale force 9 veering westerly and increasing hurricane force 12 soon

Malin, issued on Wednesday 18 December 2013 at 0359 UTC
    Southerly storm force 10 now decreased severe gale force 9, veering northwesterly and increasing hurricane force 12 later

Hebrides, issued on Wednesday 18 December 2013 at 0359 UTC
    Southerly storm force 10 now decreased severe gale force 9, veering northwesterly and increasing hurricane force 12 later
  • RAS
    Options
    Thanks mar. Another big blow coming in up north.

Just hoping that we do not get a repeat of last year down south http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Sv_urK868
  • mardatha
    Options
    Think you lot are getting it too - whole west side.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    RAS wrote: »
    Thanks mar. Another big blow coming in up north.
    Locally we may get some 'wintry showers' tomorrow. I hope not as just an icing sugar dusting makes my lane tricky and I've got to get to the dentist in Ilkley for a root canal! :eek::eek::eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure