Laminate vs Vinyl vs Karndean

Options
Hi All

After debating whether to have carpets or hardwood floor in the downstairs of our house we have decided on hardwood.

I've never lived with a hardwood floor before and I'm struggling to understand the differences between laminate, vinyl and karndean. I know karndean is more expensive but what are the benefits to it? And whats the differences between vinyl and laminate?

Comments

• dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi All

After debating whether to have carpets or hardwood floor in the downstairs of our house we have decided on hardwood.

I've never lived with a hardwood floor before and I'm struggling to understand the differences between laminate, vinyl and karndean. I know karndean is more expensive but what are the benefits to it? And whats the differences between vinyl and laminate?

I'm no expert, but can share what I have learned in researching for a new floor.

Hardwood is wood. Most expensive of your options, generally. Engineered wood is cheaper.
    Takes some care and attention, and depending on how picky you are, can be damaged by high heels, etc. Personally, I think this is what gives old floor character.

Laminate is like fake wood planks - can look very good, but cheap stuff can look pretty, well, cheap.

Vinyl comes as looselay (one-piece sheets, similar to carpet), glue-down, or click-fit. Karndean is simply one of the more expensive choices among the various vinyl suppliers. Decent quality vinyl is probably the most durable and low-maintenance. Quality is partly determined by thickness of the vinyl tile/plank, and thickness of the "wear layer" (that's the bit that has the pattern on it).

That's the basic story; I'm sue further details will be forthcoming.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    None of those options you have mentions are actually hardwood.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    None of those options you have mentions are actually hardwood.
    or even wood of any kind at all
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • bengalknights
    Options
    Kahrs Engineered Wood gets my recommendation, the options you have stated OP none are actually hardwood.
  • RelievedSheff
    Options
    The new build house we have recently bought has vinyl flooring in the kitchen and bathrooms. It wouldn't have been our choice but we have actually found that we prefer it now to the laminate we had in our old house.

It feels warmer underfoot and is easier to keep clean.
  • katieort
    Options
    Hi, I don't know what Karndean is (another poster has said a type of vinyl) but I was on your position a month or so ago..
    Carpets or hard floor..?!
    What type of hard flooring when I had decided on that. I wanted something that would look good, last a while, and survive a dog and a new puppy's accidents!
    I went with a vinyl flooring, as laminate can warp and that when it gets wet, or liquid gets in between the boards. And laminate can look a bit cheap unless you get fancy ones.
    I got a thicker better quality vinyl that was a wood design, so I still had the wood look that I wanted (it even has the sort of feel of wood grooves too!). It looks and feels great and was much quicker and easier to lay than laminate would have been. Not to mention that it was actually pretty cheap too!
  • tehone
    tehone Posts: 640 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Karndean is brilliant - looks exactly like a hardwood floor (people assume I have an oak floor), but is really easy to keep clean, no splinters, and if you move house really easy to just take it up and move it to your new place :)

Cheap vinyl, looks like vinyl, so don't go for a wood effect, its not that convincing.

Cheap laminate, also looks cheap and quite often warps if it gets wet

Hardwood, needs more care, and can get stained quite easily.

My advice go to a decent flooring company and you should be able to see the difference. From memory (and of course haggling) there is no difference in pricing between decent hardwood and Karndean, vinyl and laminate and cheaper
  • parcival
    Options
    we put down vinyl planks in a bedroom with wood effect. It looks very realistic and is warm underfoot. Also looks as good as the day it was laid.
    Having said all that it was fairly expensive - £25 per square meter plus underlay......
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    parcival wrote: »
    we put down vinyl planks in a bedroom with wood effect. It looks very realistic and is warm underfoot. Also looks as good as the day it was laid.
    Having said all that it was fairly expensive - £25 per square meter plus underlay......

For the OP, I'd add that cost can include extensive prep work, depending on what sort of flooring.

Click vinyl is easier to lay for competent DIY-ers than glue-down.

Cost can also include laying of screed/self-levelling compound before laying the floor.

Decent vinyl can cost £50 per square metre and upwards, including all the necessary prep work and fitting by a professional.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Luxury vinyl is the category of product you want to be looking at.

Come in plank or tile can be glue down or floating with the click versions.

It's what you see in shops and pubs.

Another option is proper linoleum products but seriously expensive done right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure