Laminate vs Vinyl vs Karndean

Options

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi All

After debating whether to have carpets or hardwood floor in the downstairs of our house we have decided on hardwood.

I've never lived with a hardwood floor before and I'm struggling to understand the differences between laminate, vinyl and karndean. I know karndean is more expensive but what are the benefits to it? And whats the differences between vinyl and laminate?

Muddling up your terminology is likely part of what is confusing you. :o

Have you been watching US TV series on 'flipping' houses? They use this term to refer to two categories: solid wood flooring and engineered wood flooring.

Solid wood can be divided into hardwoods (eg. oak) and softwoods (eg. pine). In the UK we would more often compare these when choosing new window frames or a new conservatory than when choosing new flooring.

Go to a few good flooring stores and handle the samples: you will see and feel the difference between the types of solid flooring or hard flooring (eg. laminate/ vinyl sheet/ vinyl plank), the different levels of quality, the different brands (eg. Karndean) and the different price ranges.

Then research online, once you have a better grasp of what is on the market. HTH. :)
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I really like LVT (we have Amtico in the kitchen) as it's warmer than tiles or laminate, very hard wearing and there's loads of choice. That said, I'd never get anything that was fake wood; it always looks fake! IMO, if you want wood get wood. If you go for proper wood, any little knocks and bumps just make it look better, I think.

I have a hatred of laminate. Even with the more expensive ones, the 'clack clack clack' as you walk across in shoes sets my teeth on edge. Real wood or vinyl absorb the sound better.

I personally like vinyl tiles - make sure you have some spares and you can get any damage repaired without having to lift the lot. We have yet to damage ours though - it seems pretty good at springing back.

I know you said Karndean but Google LVT and have a look at other brands. I couldn't find what I wanted from Karndean.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We’ve just had thick, foam backed vinyl laid in our kitchen. A vast improvement on the tiles

It’s warm and stays clean with a brush.

We were lucky enough to find a close match to the good quality laminate in the adjacent dining room. Kitchen easier to clean though.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    We’ve just had thick, foam backed vinyl laid in our kitchen. A vast improvement on the tiles

It’s warm and stays clean with a brush.

We were lucky enough to find a close match to the good quality laminate in the adjacent dining room. Kitchen easier to clean though.

Could you share what make this was?
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,084 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I've had Rhinofloor in Antique Oak and it was usually mistaken for real wood planks - it was heavily textured so looked realistic. It was relatively easy to clean (including puppy accidents, spilt milk and a whole jug of gravy!) but did dent if something heavy and sharp was dropped on it.

I've looked at the luxury vinyl and engineered wood floors for my new kitchen, but I've been put off by the grooves between the planks - how on earth do you keep them clean?
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I know somebody "rough and careless" with belongings, the sort of person that falls through the door overladen with stuff, dropping it right left and centre as they drop things all over the place. Their fridge/freezer leaked a lot too.... bit of paper was often wedged under the corner to catch it.

When they bought a new build house (£200k bracket) they got the flooring as part of the deal and have something that looks like wood, but isn't. I've been told by a local shop it'll have been "luxury vinyl", which is increasing in popularity.

10 years on and all the bashes, scrapes, spills, accidents and carelessness in that new build house haven't produced a single flaw in that perfect floor.

It's what I'll get if I'm ever in a position to choose. Luxury vinyl, fitted/glued. Job done "forever".
  • ytfcmad
    ytfcmad Posts: 380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Luxury Vinyl (on a roll) and not very nice shouldnt be confused with LVT, Luxury Vinyl Tiles, two different animals.
  • naf123
    naf123 Posts: 1,696 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    LVT all the way for sure . Especially if you have family . Wood is wonderful but ruined easily . Laminates is a no no - cheap tat that damages easily .

LVT is as such you can have a flood and dry it and reinstall if necessary!

The only thing with glue down LVT is need to have a perfectly smooth mirror like floor a a base to install - this often requires levelling . Otherwise click on LVT is a decent alternative if you want to avoid paying extra for a mirror like screed floor . Even with click on, you still need a pretty level floor.
  • Clive_Woody
    Options
    We are going for Polyflor for our kitchen based on the recommendation of our fitter. We have received full size samples and it seems robust and we like the finish.

https://www.polyflor.com/jh/products.nsf/products!open&family=lux
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • redmalc
    redmalc Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We have had Karndean fitted in the kitchen and to be honest we are far from happy because it is all scratched were kitchen chairs are moved backwards and forwards towards the table.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure