My Late Mum's Will-Worried My Solicitor might Keep My Money-Please Advise Me.

Options

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Buying and selling houses is often a frustrating time - it seems to drag on for ever. And then it all goes with a rush. When I last moved it all seemed straightforward - my purchasers were in rented, the sellers of my new house were also moving into rented - and still it took 5 months.

Although the house has a SOLD sign outside it isn't actually sold until the purchaser has handed over his cash.

Putting the SOLD sign up is a part of the long sequence of events - the person who hopes to purchase may well have a property of his own to sell and there may be others in the chain as well.

Even the day he hands over his cash does not mark the end of the process either - the solicitor handling the sale will arrange to pay final electricity and gas bills and then money can be paid into the estate.

But the house is only a part of your Mum's estate - the solicitor handling the estate may well be able to hand over a substantial part of your inheritance - but he/she has to to allow for any claims from the estate - often DWP.

Annbarbs you will have to be patient - there is nothing you can do.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I just spoke to my Solicitor on the phone today.
    I told him I am worried that my sisters won't hand over my money when the house is sold.

My Solicitor said if that happens we can take my sisters to court.
    Then I asked my Solicitor when will I get my money.
    His response was" I don't know as I don't know the future."
    Which is not very helpful.
    It seems my solicitor does not have much understanding towards my mental health.
    As that comments is only worrying me further.
    As he made it sound like I might never get my money. So I am not very happy.

I thought that I would get my money in about October or November this year.
    As my sisters estate agent said the house is sold but we won't get our money until 3 months.

But it is possible that my sisters could withhold my money and not hand it over to me when the time comes.
    If that does happen and we do have to go to court it could take a long time before I see any of that money.
    And I don't want that to happen. As I think I have waited long enough now. And I don't want to wait years. especially as I am in the situation I am in.
    I have really built my hopes up on getting my money this year but maybe I should not have.

But my mother left me that money and if my sisters won't hand it over when the time comes I wil fight for it.

And if my Solicitor is not helpful I will get another one.
    Though if I have to do that how will I pay him if I have not yet got my inheritance?
    As I am on benefits and I cannot now.
    Not unless I get my money.

My solicitor did say that he has filled out a UN1 form which is a land registry form he said.
    Or I think he said.
    It prevents my sisters selling the house without being on the land registry/or without me and my solicitor knowing about it.
    My Solicitor has written to my sisters 3 weeks ago but still has not heard from them yet.
    And he is also waiting to hear from the land registry to see if the UN1 application my Solicitor put in has been accepted or not.
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    annbarbs wrote: »
    I told him I am worried that my sisters won't hand over my money when the house is sold.

My Solicitor said if that happens we can take my sisters to court.
    Then I asked my Solicitor when will I get my money.
    His response was" I don't know as I don't know the future."
    Which is not very helpful.
    It seems my solicitor does not have much understanding towards my mental health.
    As that comments is only worrying me further.
    As he made it sound like I might never get my money. So I am not very happy.

I thought that I would get my money in about October or November this year.
    As my sisters estate agent said the house is sold but we won't get our money until 3 months.

But it is possible that my sisters could withhold my money and not hand it over to me when the time comes.
    If that does happen and we do have to go to court it could take a long time before I see any of that money.
    And I don't want that to happen. As I think I have waited long enough now. And I don't want to wait years. especially as I am in the situation I am in.
    I have really built my hopes up on getting my money this year but maybe I should not have.

But my mother left me that money and if my sisters won't hand it over when the time comes I wil fight for it.

Though if I have to do that how will I pay him if I have not yet got my inheritance?
    As I am on benefits and I cannot now.
    Not unless I get my money.

My solicitor did say that he has filled out a UN1 form which is a land registry form he said.
    Or I think he said.
    It prevents my sisters selling the house without being on the land registry/or without me and my solicitor knowing about it.
    My Solicitor has written to my sisters 3 weeks ago but still has not heard from them yet.
    And he is also waiting to hear from the land registry to see if the UN1 application my Solicitor put in has been accepted or not.

As stressful as it is you will just have to wait at the moment no one can make things go any quicker than they are

When my mum died last february (2015) I didn't get anything until nearly October and that was a very basic estate no house to be sold just death in service from her work, life insurance and a small pension.

There is no point in changing your solicitor this late in the day as you will just be wasting your time and money. The one you have now seems to be working hard for you to get you the result you want but he is right he can't see the future I know that's probably not what you want to hear and it must be upsetting for you but that is what this process is like there aren't straightforward timeframes
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Options
    Selling houses is a very lengthy process! It isn't like, say, buying a loaf of bread, or a car, there are forms and processes that have to be gone through and these can take many months. I@m not sure how long things take on average now, but it used to be said that the minimum time for a house to be sold and all money to be exchanged was around 8 weeks. I know of someone who has been in the process now since early June. Everything is going through, it just takes a long time!

So I wouldn't worry. That is why your solicitor says that he doesn't know how long it will take to get your money. Additionally house sales can fall through, in which case a new buyer will have to be found. Most house sales have a 'chain', so the house will have several people including the buyer, and their house buyer waiting for the process to go through.

If things are still not happening 6 months down the way then I would ensure that your solicitor finds out what is happening, but after only 3 weeks they will barely have started the process.
  • fairy_lights
    Options

There are lots of 'if's' in your post - you're worrying about things that probably won't happen.
    Your sisters know you have got a solicitor involved so it's highly unlikely that they would take the risk of trying to keep your inheritance from you.
    Your solicitor is being helpful, but can't give you information that he himself doesn't know.
    The reason you haven't heard anything for a while is probably because the sale is still going through.

You will get your inheritance in good time, you just need to be patient and focus on looking after your own health in the meantime.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Faith177 wrote: »
    As stressful as it is you will just have to wait at the moment no one can make things go any quicker than they are

When my mum died last february (2015) I didn't get anything until nearly October and that was a very basic estate no house to be sold just death in service from her work, life insurance and a small pension.

There is no point in changing your solicitor this late in the day as you will just be wasting your time and money. The one you have now seems to be working hard for you to get you the result you want but he is right he can't see the future I know that's probably not what you want to hear and it must be upsetting for you but that is what this process is like there aren't straightforward timeframes

Yes you are right.
    It seems my solicitor is doing all he can to get me my money.
    But he is not a psychiatrist. And this waiting around for the house to be sold and my money to be released and paid out, is obviously causing me emotional stress.

But my solicitor cannot treat that.
    He can only do the legal work to get me my money which is what he is doing.

As my solicitor and some members on this forum have told me.
    The house has not yet been sold.
    It has only found a buyer but as you and my Solicitor have explained to me.

Even though the estate agent tells me the house is sold, they are not using the correct term.
    The house has only found a buyer, that's all.
    But the house is not officially sold.

I asked my Solicitor if the estate agent has already given my sisters the money from the house but my sisters have not told us.
    But my Solicitor said that is not possible.
    I hope that's right.

But it's right that my Solicitor cannot give me a time as to when I will get my money, because he does not know when.

If he were to tell me November then he would not be telling the truth. Because we don't know when the house is going to be sold.
    As I have been told.
    The house has only found a buyer but that buyer might not buy the house or the sale could fall through.

As someone else here said and my Solicitor put it-The house is not sold until I get my money.

I have only been told the house has found a buyer, nothing else.

So I am back where I were before I was told this.
    The house has not yet been sold as everyone has been trying to tell me.

So I think I have got go back to the life I have got. And try to get myself a GP. As I cannot put this off any longer.

But at least I am getting my full benefits (High Rate Of care DLA) and most of my rent paid.

I get £290 a week plus Housing and Council Tax Benefit.
    So I in a way I am better of as I am.
    Because at the moment at least I don't have to pay the £608 rent for my HA flat.

But when I get my inheritance all of that will stop.
    So in some ways that will be more stressful.

Just thought I would point that out.

• Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes you are right.
    It seems my solicitor is doing all he can to get me my money.
    But he is not a psychiatrist. And this waiting around for the house to be sold and my money to be released and paid out, is obviously causing me emotional stress.

But my solicitor cannot treat that.
    He can only do the legal work to get me my money which is what he is doing.

As my solicitor and some members on this forum have told me.
    The house has not yet been sold.
    It has only found a buyer but as you and my Solicitor have explained to me.

Even though the estate agent tells me the house is sold, they are not using the correct term.
    The house has only found a buyer, that's all.
    But the house is not officially sold.

I asked my Solicitor if the estate agent has already given my sisters the money from the house but my sisters have not told us.
    I hope that's right.

But it's right that my Solicitor cannot give me a time as to when I will get my money, because he does not know when.

If he were to tell me November then he would not be telling the truth. Because we don't know when the house is going to be sold.
    As I have been told.
    The house has only found a buyer but that buyer might not buy the house or the sale could fall through.

As someone else here said and my Solicitor put it-The house is not sold until I get my money.

I have only been told the house has found a buyer, nothing else.

So I am back where I were before I was told this.
    The house has not yet been sold as everyone has been trying to tell me.

So I think I have got go back to the life I have got. And try to get myself a GP. As I cannot put this off any longer.

But at least I am getting my full benefits (High Rate Of care DLA) and most of my rent paid.

I get £290 a week plus Housing and Council Tax Benefit.
    So I in a way I am better of as I am.
    Because at the moment at least I don't have to pay the £608 rent for my HA flat.

But when I get my inheritance all of that will stop.
    So in some ways that will be more stressful.

Just thought I would point that out.

I agree with you here 100% you need to focus on yourself at the moment you have a roof over your head and money coming in so you are in an ok place physically which is half the battle sometime

See a GP and get yourself the help that you need. There is no point making yourself seriously ill now when there is nothing you can do at this time. You want to be in a position mentally that when that money comes in you are able to set yourself up and enjoy your new life that will come with it

I hope that makes sense?
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    If there are only 2 GP practices that could take you pick one and register if they have room if not try the other one.

Is there no auto transfer system if a GP practice shuts down?
    when ours closed(all the GPs resigned) it got picked up by another service

It is better to be registered than not it can be a right pain to access services without GP.

You need access to service even if it is not perfect.

You plan to move so you will be changing when you move anyway

Should also mean your transfer the transfer is more straightforward
  • getmore4less
    Options

How many times have you asked this same question now?

the answer will not change....you will have to take legal action
  • getmore4less
    Options
    I hope that's right.

The sale will be handled by a conveyancer in many cases a solicitor.

very unlikely the conveyance will be the estate agents, not sure they can even do it in England and wales.

The conveyancer handles the transfers it goes nowhere near the estate agents.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure