Forum Home» Marriage, Relationships & Families» Deaths, Funerals & Probate

My Late Mum's Will-Worried My Solicitor might Keep My Money-Please Advise Me. - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

My Late Mum's Will-Worried My Solicitor might Keep My Money-Please Advise Me.

edited 16 July 2016 at 12:06PM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
109 replies 21.5K views

Replies

• SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    If its very difficult, that means that it is possible. So why not use the time you have waiting, to see if you can find someone who wants to swap? If they want to and have to wait a bit I cant see thats likely to be an issue for them if its difficult, they will wait.
    Put the wheels in motion, whats to lose?

Because they expect you to move in a week of signing the tenancy agreement and I can't move in a week.

Okay it is possible to notify the utilities people that I am moving in a week. And from my last experience of moving I had to give a Gas and Electric meter reading on the day I moved out,(so they can close my account at my old address and send me a final bill.)

But there is no way I can arrange a removal van in a week.
    I mean say for example I had a HA Home Swap now my HA told me I had to move next week.
    How could I possible get a removal van in that short time?
    It's impossible as I need at least 2 weeks notice that the HA want me to move-If I do the home swap that is.

I could try the home swap and then if I get one explain this to my HA-That I need more time to move in and cannot possible move in a week.
    Then if they say I have to then I won't do the swap.

But I am not sure how flexible the HA would be.
    Since when you swap it is an agreement with both my HA and the HA I will have my new flat with.

And one of the HA might say that I have to move in a week because they have another tenant moving into my flat.
    As when I move the HA will want to put the person I am swapping with in there.

I could just stay where I am and not move.
    But if I do that it will eat up my inheritance more quickly.
    Then when it eventually runs out I will be right back where i am now.
    So I might as well take my chances and get a private flat.

As I cannot see any other option.
    What with my benefits being stopped when I get my inheritance.
    And I really don't want to eat up all my money after I have waited all my life for this kind of chance to be indpendant.
  • AnotherJoeAnotherJoe Forumite
    18.6K posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh ok I thought it would be a process where they found someone else who wanted to swap in the opposite direction and then you negotiated a date between you.

It sounds incredibly inflexible if they just say "OK we've found someone who wanted to move and you're both moving next Friday". Are you sure about this? Why would they want to be so inflexible and impose these conditions on both parties ? Have you tried this before and got this pushback?
    "For every problem,  there is a solution that is clear, simple and wrong"  HL Mencken. 
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I think that is the way it works. Because that's what happened to me both times. When the Council moved me before.

First time was when my landlord evicted me from my private flat.
    The Council found me a temporary flat and I went with the housing officer to view it.
    Then signed the lease then I was told I would be moving in the next Monday.
    Then the same thing happened when I was moved from my temporary flat to my HA here.
    I was moved in the following week but the Council organised and paid for moving of my furniture.
    So I did not have to do that.

But with the HA I will have to organised that myself and I cannot in a week.
    Not to a move like Liverpool or anywhere really.

And also the water pump has broke down again this morning, the second time this happened in a month.
    So I and the other tenants in my block have no water again.

And also I am sick because I have a stomach bug.
    I am here all alone, sick because of the stomach bug and I don't even have any water.
    This is totally unacceptable and I should not have to live like this.
    So being here in my HA flat is causing me a lot of hardship and it's not right.
    That's why I am moving when I get my money.
  • missbiggles1missbiggles1
    17.5K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    annbarbs wrote: »
    Well I think that is the way it works. Because that's what happened to me both times. When the Council moved me before.

First time was when my landlord evicted me from my private flat.
    The Council found me a temporary flat and I went with the housing officer to view it.
    Then signed the lease then I was told I would be moving in the next Monday.
    Then the same thing happened when I was moved from my temporary flat to my HA here.
    I was moved in the following week but the Council organised and paid for moving of my furniture.
    So I did not have to do that.

But with the HA I will have to organised that myself and I cannot in a week.
    Not to a move like Liverpool or anywhere really.

And also the water pump has broke down again this morning, the second time this happened in a month.
    So I and the other tenants in my block have no water again.

And also I am sick because I have a stomach bug.
    I am here all alone, sick because of the stomach bug and I don't even have any water.
    This is totally unacceptable and I should not have to live like this.
    So being here in my HA flat is causing me a lot of hardship and it's not right.
    That's why I am moving when I get my money.

You've got more chance of getting the HA to do repairs and maintenance than you have many private landlords!
  • edited 24 August 2016 at 4:33PM
    SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 August 2016 at 4:33PM
    You've got more chance of getting the HA to do repairs and maintenance than you have many private landlords!
    Rubbish!
    If I was living anywhere else I would not have this problem because my water supply would be from the mains from the water board like most normal homes are.

Not a shoddy water pump maintain by a HA.
    So I would not have to put up with any of this.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Please don't jump into anything without getting advice from either your social worker or someone similar. You have a large chunk of money coming to you, don't make any decisions before you have all the facts.

Also if you do try to move to private renting whilst still on benefits, bear in mind that many private landlords now won't take tenants on benefits!

I don't need advice from the Social Worker or anyone.
    I understand and can see for myself quite clearly that this is not this place for me.

The only reason I am still living here is because I don't have any other choice at the moment.

Yes I know a lot of landlords don't take DSS that's why it is so hard to get a place.
    But there are some that do but they want huge deposits of about £1500 to £2000 which I cannot afford at the moment.

But once I get my inheritance that will change and I WILL move.
    Because I am not staying here to pay the £608 a month rent which will eat up my inheritance.
    Not if I can help it.
  • ShelldeanShelldean Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Home swap doesn't work like that. You agree to swap properties. Then you both have to get the agreement from your landlord. If all agreed then you agree a date to swap.
  • ShelldeanShelldean Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    However if the HA arrange an alternative property. Then the time between can be small. I was given ten days to move from one HA property to another larger one. Took a week longer, just meant I was liable for the extra rent.

But to be honest we took a dump which delayed us moving in plus I had three children under four at the time. So the move took longer as I had to deal with them x
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Home swap doesn't work like that. You agree to swap properties. Then you both have to get the agreement from your landlord. If all agreed then you agree a date to swap.
    Well I was being rehoused as an emergency the first time, because my landlord wanted me out.

The second time I was being rehoused from my temporary Council accommodation to my permanent one, this HA flat.
    So maybe that's different from home swap.
    However if the HA arrange an alternative property. Then the time between can be small. I was given ten days to move from one HA property to another larger one. Took a week longer, just meant I was liable for the extra rent.
    One question.

If I went for a home swap and my HA did say I had to move in a week or 10 days.

Would they give me more time if I agreed to pay both my rents for my old home and my new home before I moved in?

I could say to them I need at least a month to move, then offer to pay both my old HA and new HA rent for the 4 weeks I would be at my old flat, and not be in my new home before I moved in.

That way I would at least have 4 weeks to organised my move to my new home.

I could do that since I will have my inheritance and will be paying rent anyway.
    But will the HA accept that or not?
  • Caroline_aCaroline_a Forumite
    4.1K posts
    I think you would need to ask your HA that as they probably all differ.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support