Options

Comments

• redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mydmp wrote: »
    Sounds really good :)
    It was, must make again. There is a squishy packed lunch orange on the worktop actually.
    Hope the weather has picked up for you xx

It finally did thanks - sunshine all day yesterday :j

The sun was shining so I spent the day outside. The poly tunnel was scorching, evil ex stray was toasty hot and fast asleep upside down in one of the raised beds, tempting you to tickle her tummy. The key thing to remember when they are upside down like that is that five of the six ends are sharp :p The plug plants are doing nicely, far better than last years for no obvious reason.

OH chopped lots of wood for me which got sorted into wood burner or green waste and sorted a pile of stuff into junk or sculpture metal so at least some of it can go, DS1 did the lawns and DS2 ran the shredder. One green waste bin is full, the other is nearly which is great but not in terms of getting much more done. The patio looks far better for the joint efforts. The boys have to do jobs for their pocket money so they were pleased with the extra cash.

I had a poke about in the old fruit plot, its choked with ivy and creeping thistle that comes in from next door but I have found six strawberry plants and enough raspberry canes to transplant. Once that is done then I think the most sensible option is to cut it all down to a few inches and then use weedkiller. The creeping thistle is a nightmare as it spreads via white fleshy roots, and every inch of root is a new plant and its really easy to miss some. I've been fighting it for a couple of years now but its slowly moving across the garden and will cross the path into the veg plot next so its time to reluctantly use the chemicals and then leave that bit empty till next year.

WM x 2, TD on, DW about to go on, and the dehumidifier running. yes, its free electricity Sunday :rotfl:
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,165 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I seem to remember that last year's plug plants weren't in great condition when they arrived (at least mine weren't). Mine then suffered from neglect when I was away for work, so only a small proportion survived.

Well done on getting so much done in the garden. I'm halfway through doing the second cut on the lawn today although it's overcast and damp out there - I didn't have the energy for a second go yesterday. I've lowered the mower blades, and at this level the grass is thick, still damp and full of moss, so it's slow going as the mower keeps clogging. Still once it's done, I should be able to keep it under control.

No free electricity here today, but washing being done so I can drop my ironing off later. I need to remember to pack. ANd book a taxi to the station for tomorrow morning... and learn my presentation script!
  • RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It was, must make again. There is a squishy packed lunch orange on the worktop actually.

If this is like the Nigella clementine recipe, you can also microwave the citrus fruit which I find a bit less faff than boiling them. I stick them with a knife a couple of times and put them in on full power til they smell cooked - think less than 5 mins usually does it.
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options

The poly tunnel was scorching, evil ex stray was toasty hot and fast asleep upside down in one of the raised beds, tempting you to tickle her tummy. The key thing to remember when they are upside down like that is that five of the six ends are sharp :p The plug plants are doing nicely, far better than last years for no obvious reason.

OH chopped lots of wood for me which got sorted into wood burner or green waste and sorted a pile of stuff into junk or sculpture metal so at least some of it can go, DS1 did the lawns and DS2 ran the shredder. One green waste bin is full, the other is nearly which is great but not in terms of getting much more done. The patio looks far better for the joint efforts. The boys have to do jobs for their pocket money so they were pleased with the extra cash.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: to the cat with five sharp ends. Well done on the joint gardening effort, it's lovely seeing progress made :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,465 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Just catching up with you and it sounds like you've made some great progress on the garden - you put me to shame, not started mine yet.

Have a lovely day and here's to a fantastic week ahead!
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,717 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :rotfl: about the cat with the sharp ends!

The gardening planning is coming on and hooray to free leccy Sunday!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • redofromstart
    edited 15 April 2018 at 8:26PM
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: to the cat with five sharp ends..
    :rotfl: about the cat with the sharp ends! !
    Stolen from this Calvin and Hobbes cartoon years ago, its a standard line between me and my siblings.

No garden progress today as it has gone cold and then wet again, lots of housework done instead. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers so the ironing all got done :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Very busy you have been Redo , glad you got in the garden again. Would be great to see photos when it's all done.

Sorry to hear you had a migraine, not nice I am sure.

I love your meals, just what I would eat.

Have a good week, hopefully in the better weather .
  • redofromstart
    Options
    If this is like the Nigella clementine recipe, you can also microwave the citrus fruit which I find a bit less faff than boiling them. I stick them with a knife a couple of times and put them in on full power til they smell cooked - think less than 5 mins usually does it.
    Thanks Rosa, that's useful to know.
    I made a Ginger Crunch instead which is ginger shortbread with ginger fudge icing. There was a version in the vegan book I bought the other day and the idea appealed.
  • RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Rosa, that's useful to know.
    I made a Ginger Crunch instead which is ginger shortbread with ginger fudge icing. There was a version in the vegan book I bought the other day and the idea appealed.

Oooh ginger crunch sounds yummy.

Credit for the microwaving fruit idea should also go to someone online though I can't remember precisely who - I think it was in the comments on the online recipe. Just as well as I think Nigella was recommending cooking them for three hours and those of us with jobs that require us to leave the kitchen ain't doing that :rotfl:.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family