Changing from bt broadband affecting yahoo email accounts???

Options
Can anybody help me with this. I am planning to change my BT broadband to another provider but I am being told that my my Yahoo mail account is tied to to the account. And it will either end in so many days or I have to upgrade to a premium account for my mail at £7.50 a month. Is this right??

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Can anybody help me with this. I am planning to change my BT broadband to another provider but I am being told that my my Yahoo mail account is tied to to the account. And it will either end in so many days or I have to upgrade to a premium account for my mail at £7.50 a month. Is this right??

Yep, because it's a BT supplied Yahoo account. You should never use an ISP supplied email account.
  • Photoframe55
    Options
    Thanks for your reply x
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options

You can export the account to a Gmail account or export the whole account to a Desktop based client via IMAP4 before you leave.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yep, because it's a BT supplied Yahoo account. You should never use an ISP supplied email account.

I’ve never had a problem with any other ISP except BT/Yahoo. I left them for Virgin a while back and they charged me £6 a month. Back to them 2 years ago and it took a year for them to stop charging me.

In the meantime all my old emails, Tiscali, NTLWorld etc still work. Years after I left them.

Going back to Virgin this week after signing up to great MSE deal but now using my own domain and not paying BT their extortionate fee.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tiscali is a legacy brand that ended up with TalkTalk. There are no end of email servers, services and brands TalkTalk have inherited over the years and they are still working, presumably they've just never got round to discontinuing them.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Problem is that all ISPs have the habit of getting around to deleting old email accounts . You never know when thats going to happen and neither do they need to inform you .
  • Photoframe55
    Options
    Hi thanks. How would I do that please?
  • Photoframe55
    Options
    Hi Everywhere.
    Could you explain how to do that??? Thanks.
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Everywhere.
    Could you explain how to do that??? Thanks.

On a laptop/desktop do you have an email program? I have Mozilla Thunderbird for example, but other mail programs will also work. If you set up your yahoo account on one of these, you can download all your existing yahoo emails.

You can then set up a different email address (for example a googlemail account) for use ongoing.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • Photoframe55
    Options
    Thanks for that. What is a mail program please? How do I download my account on to that?
    Could you elaborate anymore on how I do it. I'm sorry to sound completely thick. Thanks. X
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure