No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries August 2019

Options

Comments

• dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    maddie - I have fine, wavy/curly hair at jaw length and have had no problems with it knotting up, I am still using conditioner at home but on holiday recently I just used the shampoo bar with no problems. The Friendly Soap Co bars are about £2 ish, I would advise slicing them (very easy as super soft) to avoid wasting it, the ingredient list is minimal too.

Kadison - I know people are using that amount of products but I stand by my statement that no one needs to. People have been convinced by the beauty industry for the sake of profits that you need layer upon layer of chemicals on your face - you do not. Also recycling is not the answer, it just doesn't get recycled - how many products do you have in your house made from recycled plastic? People need to stop absolving themselves of responsibility by putting things in the recycling bins - it is being shipped abroard or burnt on the whole, we need to get the idea out of our heads and start reducing - pronto.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • kadison
    kadison Posts: 3,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    VALM - I'm sorry to hear of your bereavement :(

dolly84 - I also stand by my statement, btw the plastic is largely purchased by overseas places that don't have the raw materials, like China, very little is recycled here. I don't want to start a fight over it so let's agree to disagree and leave it at that.
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2023
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
    Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx
  • sunny_money
    sunny_money Posts: 361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think most of us know we are easily convinced that we need several skincare products / processes in our routine (and for those of us here likely enjoy this me time). I am guilty myself. But there’s some things I wonder if they are necessary *queue controversy*:

*double cleansing - is this make up remover then cleanse? If it’s just cleanse x2 why isn’t your cleanser good enough to work with one application?

*toner - unsure of its purpose - second cleanse to ensure all cleanser is removed? meant to reduce pores but apparently this is a myth? gentle ones may only simply hydrate the skin?

*facial mist - literally don’t get it. Isn’t moisturiser good enough? If your skin is really dry a mist isn’t going to do much.

*serum - Unless they have a targeted purpose, isn’t it just moisturiser?

*masks - again, why isn’t cleansing/moisturising enough? Good for super dry skin only?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  • kadison
    edited 8 August 2019 at 2:40PM
    Options
    sunny_money this is my understanding....

double cleansing - I shampoo my hair twice, first to remove surface dirt then to get deeper and clean thoroughly, the same with double-cleansing.

toner - I can only say it does help with skin tone, I went without for a couple of weeks and saw a real change in my skin, and not a good one!

facial mist - I use face mist to set make-up or to cool my skin on hot days, it's basically a very light moisturiser which is easy to apply during the day if you need it but yes, your moisturiser should be doing most of the work.

serum - The molecules are a lot smaller than in moisturiser, so they penetrate deeper into the skin, so yes they are a moisturiser but a different formula entirely.

masks - I don't think you need masks that much tbh unless, as you say, you have very dry skin. I think for most it's just a pampering treatment, it is for me! I also often use masks instead of night cream, or layer them on top if my skin is very stressed.
  • kadison
    Options
    INs from rep book
    Avon Planet Spa Aromatherapy Calm Body Mist 100ml
    Avon Senses Infusions Chi Green Tea & Verbena Shower Gel 500ml
    Avon Senses Infusions Mandarin & Jasmine Shower Gel 500ml

UUs
    Asquith & Somerset Detoxifying Mineral Mud Soap Bar 300g - nice enough, WMBA
    We Are Paradoxx Secret Weapon 3-in-1 Conditoner 250ml - Free from Boots' review panel, WNBA. Although the conditioner is nice, I'm not a fan of the aluminium packaging, yes it's more widely recycled but it's so heavy that if you drop it in the shower, it's goodbye to either the pump, your toe, or both!
    We Are Paradoxx Super Natural Shampoo 250ml - Same as above.
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    kadison wrote: »

double cleansing - I shampoo my hair twice, first to remove surface dirt then to get deeper and clean thoroughly, the same with double-cleansing.

toner - I can only say it does help with skin tone, I went without for a couple of weeks and saw a real change in my skin, and not a good one!

facial mist - I use face mist to set make-up or to cool my skin on hot days, it's basically a very light moisturiser which is easy to apply during the day if you need it but yes, your moisturiser should be doing most of the work.

serum - The molecules are a lot smaller than in moisturiser, so they penetrate deeper into the skin, so yes they are a moisturiser but a different formula entirely.

masks - I don't think you need masks that much tbh unless, as you say, you have very dry skin. I think for most it's just a pampering treatment, it is for me! I also often use masks instead of night cream, or layer them on top if my skin is very stressed.

You must be a beauty industry dream - you are just quoting what you are being told not what you really need. I'm sorry I can't agree to disagree - China are refusing our waste and rightly so, and unless you've been living in a cave for the last few months you can't fail to know that other countries are taking our plastic, being paid for taking it, then piling it up in a mountain.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • sunny_money
    sunny_money Posts: 361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kadison wrote: »

*Double cleanse - Do you use the same product?

*toner - I think you have to find the right one.. in all these years the only one I thought made a difference was Neals Yard palmarosa toner for oily/combo skin, made my skin super smooth, although I was using the whole range at the time so can’t even be sure it was that! Will repurchase after I finish what I’m using.

*facial mist - I use setting spay too, but I mean the other ones. Deffo unnecessary for me.

*serum - thanks for the explanation, I wonder if they are hydrating enough to use on their own? OMG so ‘serum in moisturiser’s should my HG product? *googles natural ones..

*masks - yeah treat time in the bath for me only, my Neals Yard Wild Rose beauty balm is useful as it’s a cleanser & mask, which I also don’t get but seems to be true! So it won’t languish in a cupboard until I decide to have a bath + mask. My minimalist other half has even fallen for masks because she is stressed!

Oh and another one -

*foot cream - not the cracked heel balm but just normal moisturising foot cream, no different to body moisturiser!
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Kadison and Dolly thank you for the info re the shampoo bars, I will try them at some stage.

I also use a lot of skincare products. I am 70 years old with dryish sensitive skin, some lines, but no deep wrinkles and have well hydrated plump and non saggy skin, in spite of having lost one and a half stones in weight from illness (I was not fat to start with).

I was concerned that I would be left with saggy jowls, but I am convinced that my routine has staved this off. So selfishly I will continue for the time being and try do much more in other areas.:(
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • sunny_money
    Options
    This just came up in my newsfeed! Some tongue in cheek Aussie comedy about skincare. Just a bit of fun :p;)

https://www.facebook.com/SBSAustralia/videos/486560968807882s=100003693005400&v=e&sfns=mo
  • savingfortomorrow
    Options
    I am more cynical about the products now. I just wish there was more glass for bottle or refill or something.

Double cleansing. I do it because the first cleanser is oil based to melt off the waterproof makeup. The second cleanse in s gentle to remove the oil or the water loving dirt. I feel it is better to do 2 solvents to remove the makeup.

Serum ., More concentrated but using less and less. I prefer to use a layer of spf 50 sunscreen under my make up daily. I know that the spf is more important for me and if I layer on too much products the makeup will not stick.

I realized along time ago with clothes buy less and think more before buying. I try to limit in items and consider length of the potential use before buying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure