Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Options

Comments

• Mooty2017
    Options
    I’m planning to study nursing in 3 years. We will likely be mortgage free at this point and will have savings of at least 40k. We will have 2 children under school age. My husbands salary is likely to be £40k but I won’t be earning whilst studying. Would I still be entitled to a tuition fee loan?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,037 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Mooty2017 wrote: »
    I’m planning to study nursing in 3 years. We will likely be mortgage free at this point and will have savings of at least 40k. We will have 2 children under school age. My husbands salary is likely to be £40k but I won’t be earning whilst studying. Would I still be entitled to a tuition fee loan?

Tuition fee loans aren't means tested, though the maintenance loans are. Whether you are eligible depends on the course and if you were eligible for loans for a previous course. eg do you already have a degree?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Mooty2017
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Tuition fee loans aren't means tested, though the maintenance loans are. Whether you are eligible depends on the course and if you were eligible for loans for a previous course. eg do you already have a degree?

Thank you for your reply. I don’t have a degree already and I assume nursing would be included as the tuition fees are no longer paid for by public health. It is only the tuition fee loan I would apply for as I am saving as much as possible in the next 3 years to cover the living costs.
  • silvercar
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. I don’t have a degree already and I assume nursing would be included as the tuition fees are no longer paid for by public health. It is only the tuition fee loan I would apply for as I am saving as much as possible in the next 3 years to cover the living costs.

If you read the Martin Lewis money saving articles, you see that if you won't ever clear your student loans it makes sense to take the maintenance loan too. It won't alter your loan repayments at all as they are based on income not the amount borrowed.

Main article here.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    If you read the Martin Lewis money saving articles, you see that if you won't ever clear your student loans it makes sense to take the maintenance loan too. It won't alter your loan repayments at all as they are based on income not the amount borrowed.

Main article here.

I'm glad you said that, as it's what I was thinking, but I don't know enough about student loans to be sure it was correct.
  • Mooty2017
    Options
    Thank you. I didn’t realise the maintenance loans aren’t means tested either. I will be 35 when I start the degree so no idea if I will ever pay it off.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank you. I didn’t realise the maintenance loans aren’t means tested either. I will be 35 when I start the degree so no idea if I will ever pay it off.

Household income is taken into account when working out how much Maintenance Loan you will get
  • silvercar
    Options

Partly means tested. The non-means tested element is about two thirds of the full amount.
  • mmrsepp
    Options
    So I have ended up in an unfortunate situation where I have a problem with Student Finance.

Long story short: I went on an replacement year and didn't advise the SFE I was going because my uni told me it is not necessary. Once upon my return to finish my studies I checked with my uni again whether there was anything I needed to do before I can continue my studies including anything regarding my funding and they advised me no everything will continue automatically. So I studied for the whole year and completed my course. At the end of May my uni sent me an invoice for almost £9k tuition fee for my final year. That came to me as a surprise because I was under the impression everything was sorted and I was being funded by SFE. Unfortunately it was too late to apply for funding then because more than 9 months had passed from when I started my studies on my final year. Now I am in this unfortunate situation where I'm not able to graduate because I have an outstanding balance.

I would really appreciate it if someone could advise me how to do a successful appeal with the SFE as I have a letter from my uni supporting my statements and them stating that I was misinformed. I am afraid that SFE will not accept my appeal based on the rhetoric that it is every student's responsibility to ensure funding is in place in time.

I am thankful for any sort of advice!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What is a replacement year?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income